Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 314 [310]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools:ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [92]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [35]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Need Help to Understand [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
6:9:12 relate to each other just like 2:3:4 and you get 3 member of staff. That is why you cannot find out exactly how many members tehre are 9 or 3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer to this question is E:

Start considering (2) ---> if the manager distributes a total of 18 pens, 27 pencils and 36 pads with each person receiving x pens, y pencils and z pads, means that the number of the staff has to be a factor of both 18,27 and 36. That value could be 3 or 9 --> Not sufficient

Now move to (1) ---> Clearly not sufficient as we do not have any information about the total number of persons or pens,pencils and pads distributed. We have just three ratios.

Considering Together ---> We know form (1) that the number of person should be 3 or 9. If people are 3 we have to distribute 18,27 and 36 --> 6pens, 9pencils, 12 pads for each person. If people are 9 we distribute 2 pens, 3 pencils, 4 pads. In both cases the ratio is the same 2:3:4. Hence not Sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

By the way AMAZING FORUM!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils [#permalink]
Karishma,

Thanks for your reply. I have the following doubt..

How do I learn to recognize that there can be multiple instances of sets who have the same ratio..

2:3:4 is the ratio of distribution.

18, 27 and 36 are the actuals distributed..

9 was the first no that came to my mind..

I then multiplied 2 to the ratio to get 4:6:8 and the actuals cannot be distributed in this ratio and I picked the answer to be sufficient...

had I multiplied the ratio by 3, I would have got 6:9:12 and I would have known that the answer is insufficient..

Please help me understand and learn thought process..
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:
Karishma,

Thanks for your reply. I have the following doubt..

How do I learn to recognize that there can be multiple instances of sets who have the same ratio..

2:3:4 is the ratio of distribution.

18, 27 and 36 are the actuals distributed..

9 was the first no that came to my mind..

I then multiplied 2 to the ratio to get 4:6:8 and the actuals cannot be distributed in this ratio and I picked the answer to be sufficient...

had I multiplied the ratio by 3, I would have got 6:9:12 and I would have known that the answer is insufficient..

Please help me understand and learn thought process..

When you saw 18, 27 and 36, what came to your mind was that the number of people could have been 9 which would mean that he gave 2 pens, 3 pencils and 4 pads. You know that 9 is divisible by 3. That should make you realize that the number of people could have been 3 too which would mean that the manager distributed 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads. 9 does not have 2 as a factor so it will not work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think answer is B. the explanation from the people considering the answer as E is missing the point that option b also tells the total. Hence don't just conclude that b provide the same information as a ( ratio), why are you not considering the total provided in b and the fact that each employee receives the pen, pencils,.. In same ratio.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [8]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sanjaykvbsingh wrote:
A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, and pads among the staff in the department, with each staff member receiving x pens, y pencils, and z pads. How many staff members were in the department?

(1) The numbers of pens, pencils, and pads that each staff member received were in the ratio 2:3:4, respectively.
(2) The manager distributed a total of 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads.

I think answer is B. the explanation from the people considering the answer as E is missing the point that option b also tells the total. Hence don't just conclude that b provide the same information as a ( ratio), why are you not considering the total provided in b and the fact that each employee receives the pen, pencils,.. In same ratio.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

The correct answer is E.

There can be two cases:
There can be 9 managers each receiving 2 pens, 3 pencils and 4 pads.
There can be 3 managers each receiving 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads.

Does this make sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
subhabrata1986 wrote:
I am facing problem to understand answer of a OG12 DS question.

Question:
A department manager distributed a number of pens, pencils, and pads among the staff in the department, with each staff member receiving x pens, y pencils, and z pads. How many staff members were in the department?
(1) The numbers of pens, pencils, and pads that each staff member received were in the ratio 2:3:4, respectively.
(2) The manager distributed a total of 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads.

ANSWER I DID:
BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but neither statement alone is sufficient.

As per OG12:
(1) Each of 10 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads, or each of 20 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads; NOT sufficient. [Agree]
(2) There could have been 1 staff member who received 18 pens, 27 pencils, and 36 pads, or 3 staff members each of whom received 6 pens, 9 pencils, and 12 pads; NOT sufficient.[Agree]

Assuming both (1) and (2), use the fact that 18:27:36 is equivalent to both 6:9:12 and 2:3:4 to obtain diff erent possibilities for the number of staff . Each of 3 staff members could have received 6 pens, 9 pencils, and 12 pads, or each of 9 staff members could have received 2 pens, 3 pencils, and 4 pads.

Now Here I defer. As per Point 1, its already shown that the ratio is ratio 2:3:4. So, we can clearly choose the staff number is 9.

Can anybody please help me to understand where I am making the mistake in this question?

Ok, look the question tells us the following:
Staff Member 1 - x pens, y pencils, z pads
Staff Member 2 - x pens, y pencils, z pads
Staff Member n - x pens, y pencils, z pads
Total no of pens - nx, total no of pencils - ny and total no of pads - nz
Question: What is n?

Stmnt 1: x:y:z = 2:3:4. So values of x, y and z can be 2, 3 and 4 or 4, 6 and 8 or 6, 9 and 12 or any other values in the ratio 2:3:4. They needn't necessarily be 2, 3 and 4. Just the ratio required is 2:3:4.
Of course n can be anything here. Not sufficient.

Stmnt 2: nx = 18, ny = 27 and nz = 36.
Note here that nx:ny:nz = 18:27:36 = 2:3:4 (They had 9 as a common factor)
Since n is a common factor on left side, x:y:z = 2:3:4 (Ratios are best expressed in the lowest form.)

This is a case of what we call "We already knew that." Information given in stmnt 1 is already part of stmnt 2 so it is not possible that stmnt 2 alone is not sufficient but together stmnt 1 and 2 are.

Now to your question:
Why can't we say that the number of staff members must be 9?
Because ratio of 2:3:4 is same as ratio of 6:9:12 which is same as 18:27:36 (When you multiply each number of a ratio by the same number, the ratio remains unchanged).
If 18, 27 and 36 pens, pencils and pads are distributed in the ratio 2:3:4, I could give them all to one person (18:27:36 is the same ratio as 2:3:4), to 3 people (giving them 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads each. 6:9:12 is the same ratio as 2:3:4) or to 9 people (giving them 2 pens, 3 pencils and 4 pads). Hence I don't know how many staff members are there.

Karishma I have a doubt here:

NX:NY:NZ = 18:27:36

N[X:Y:Z] = 9 [2:3:4]

Karishma I agree that N is unknown, but on Right hand side when we reduced to the lowest ration, 9 is the only viable possibility. Hence N=9, May be I am missing something will need your insight.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
honchos wrote:

Karishma I have a doubt here:

NX:NY:NZ = 18:27:36

N[X:Y:Z] = 9 [2:3:4]

Karishma I agree that N is unknown, but on Right hand side when we reduced to the lowest ration, 9 is the only viable possibility. Hence N=9, May be I am missing something will need your insight.

If N is 9,
X = 2, Y = 3 and Z = 4
There were 9 staff members and each got 2 pens, 3 pencils and 4 pads.
Ratio of pens:pencils:pads = 2:3:4

But if N is 3,
X = 6, Y = 9 and Z = 12
There were 3 staff members and each got 6 pens, 9 pencils and 12 pads.

N could even take the unlikely value of 1
X = 18, Y = 27 and Z = 36
There was only 1 staff member and he/she got 18 pens, 27 pencils and 36 pads.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Could we also consider the case of 1 employee getting all the 18 pens, 27 pencils and 36 pads ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi,

Do you know where I can find more DS questions of Ratio type. Exactly or close to this? Thanks for your help.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply