Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A depressing 510 please help!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
A depressing 510 please help!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 00:06
I gave my GMAT today , I was tensed from past 3 days so couldn't concentrate , I started with the essay n I felt I wrote it well
Section 1 : integrated reasoning
Well I didn't prepare well for this section and I spent time looking at time rather than solving!! Got a humiliating 2 got no complaints!!
Section 2 : quant
Well my strongest section was able to solve most of them till ques 30 then I was crunched for time couldn't solve the easy ones too,got a 44
Section 3 : verbal
This is the section which I fear the most , I know it's not rocket science but still , I started off well I think I could answer all in time but when the score came out I was devastated !! 17 , it's really depressing guys please help , I am going to give my exam early jan , I plan to start from basic to prepare for quant!!
Please help!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 141

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A depressing 510 please help!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
That is quite a setback. You should definitely focus on Verbal (you have a decent Quant raw score) I highly recommend the CR Bible and the SC Holy Grail(look at my guide). Also since you got a 17, you may want to start with the basics. I recommend Magoosh. Often times, GMAT tests your logic.

Check out my guide and let me know how I can help.

Latest Blog Posts (Updated October 22)*
- How to have a KILLER MBA Interview!
- MBA Interview Prep and Tips

Check it out at http://grantmeadmission.com/

-------------------
Check out my GMAT guide: "How I got a 710 on my first try"
57 essay analyses available here: http://grantmeadmission.com/essay-analysis/

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A depressing 510 please help!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Puneethrao wrote:
I gave my GMAT today , I was tensed from past 3 days so couldn't concentrate , I started with the essay n I felt I wrote it well
Section 1 : integrated reasoning
Well I didn't prepare well for this section and I spent time looking at time rather than solving!! Got a humiliating 2 got no complaints!!
Section 2 : quant
Well my strongest section was able to solve most of them till ques 30 then I was crunched for time couldn't solve the easy ones too,got a 44
Section 3 : verbal
This is the section which I fear the most , I know it's not rocket science but still , I started off well I think I could answer all in time but when the score came out I was devastated !! 17 , it's really depressing guys please help , I am going to give my exam early jan , I plan to start from basic to prepare for quant!!
Please help!!!

Hi Puneet,

It really feels bad to get such a score. Assuming you have all the highest accorded colleges on your list, 510 may not be a competitive total. However, I would suggest , kindly shrug off the disappointments and plan your next move strategically. Gmat tests not only your logic but also your strategies. I would suggest consider all the available paid guidance/test prep companies, find the one which suits you the best. keep a good 3 months and beat the system. We have seen on so many occasion , student on 2nd/3rd attempt has scored extremely well. In case, you need any further guidance feel free to post here.
Take only the important learnings from your past and nothing else.

Regards,

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: A depressing 510 please help!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 14:34
Expert's post
waterflowsup,

You've got a chicken and egg problem. In order to do well, you need the CONFIDENCE. But you cannot have confidence, if you are not getting good results.

The key is to generate this confidence in little baby steps - repeated over and over BEFORE you enter the exam.

Keep taking these baby steps until you reach your goal in practice. Maybe you reach your goal on the GMATPrep exam. Well, then see if you can reach your goal with the GMAT Pill practice exam: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... tice-test/

Now, that you've generated confidence through solid performance on 2 somewhat representative samples of the actual test - you can now walk into the exam room with CONFIDENCE.

Once you have CONFIDENCE and extreme positive thinking, then you can outperform even your own expectations on the real thing.

But you've got to start small with those baby steps. Besides reviewing OG questions, we do recommend learning from someone else who sees things differently from the way you see them now. Because if you just repeat what you did before and expect a different result, well - that's actually the definition of insanity.

So make a change and start in little steps. Generate that confidence with tiny success - then you get to the big success on test day.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: A depressing 510 please help!!   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2013, 14:34