A diet high in saturated fats increases a person's risk of : GMAT Critical Reasoning (CR)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 09 Dec 2016, 13:03
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A diet high in saturated fats increases a person's risk of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 592 [0], given: 0

A diet high in saturated fats increases a person's risk of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2004, 16:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (02:39) correct 33% (01:59) wrong based on 871 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A diet high in saturated fats increases a person's risk of developing heart disease. Regular consumption of red wine reduces that risk. Per-capita consumption of saturated fats is currently about the same in France as in the United States, but there is less heart disease there than in the United States because consumption of red wine is higher in France. The difference in regular red-wine consumption has been narrowing, but no similar convergence in heart-disease rates has occurred.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to account for the lack of convergence noted above?

A. Consumption of saturated fats is related more strongly to the growth of fatty deposits on artery walls, which reduce blood flow to the heart, than it is to heart disease directly.

B. Over the past 30 years, per-capita consumption of saturated fats has remained essentially unchanged in the United States but has increased somewhat in France.

C. Reports of the health benefits of red wine have led many people in the United States to drink red wine regularly.

D. Cigarette smoking, which can also contribute to heart disease, is only slightly more common in France than in the United States.

E. Regular consumption of red wine is declining dramatically among young adults in France, and heart disease typically does not manifest itself until middle age.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 418 [3] , given: 0

Re: A diet high in saturated fats increases a person's risk of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2004, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
E for me
If consumption of wine by youngsters has declined, it would explain why, despite the overall narrowing of wine consumption b/w US/France, there is no change in the overall heart disease; the decrease of wine consumption affects only younger people who are not affected by heart diseases (only middle-aged people are affected)

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2004, 20:55
Paul wrote:
E for me
If consumption of wine by youngsters has declined, it would explain why, despite the overall narrowing of wine consumption b/w US/France, there is no change in the overall heart disease; the decrease of wine consumption affects only younger people who are not affected by heart diseases (only middle-aged people are affected)

Paul , can you explain what does the last sentence in the passage mean?

I'm comfusing.

Thank you
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 418 [3] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2004, 21:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
The difference in regular red-wine consumption has been narrowing, but no similar convergence in heart-disease rates has occurred

The above means that either US population has been drinking more red wine or France population has been drinking less wine so that their wine consumption narrowed (the gap in wine consumption b/w the two diminished)
E explains why wine consumption dimished in France (youngsters drink less of it) but why heart diseases are still high(because only middle-aged people are affected). This resolves the paradox at hand

Best Regards,

Paul

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2004, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
Got E too. Agree with Paul's explanation. To add,

"The difference in regular red-wine consumption has been narrowing" may mean two things - US is drinking more wine OR france is drinking less wine. ETS trap would be make us think that the first (US drinking more wine) has happened, but actually it is the second case (E).

Moreover, E, by bringing in "heart disease typically does not manifest itself until middle age" shows that the convergence of heart disease may happen in future, but not immediately.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2004, 08:09
Got E as well with the reasoning same as Paul's
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2004, 09:30
Thank you, Paul

the OA really is (E)
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2004, 16:10
chunjuwu - would you mind sharing the source of these CR questions you are posting ? If you can offer some more it would be helpful. I find that your CR series of questions like CR0214, CR0316 are of very high quality. I am only asking because i needed some more CR practice material.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 886

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 17:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 886

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 07:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q36 V48
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 211

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 10:31
The difference in wine rate has been narrowing cos France is reducing it's rate not because US is increasing it's rate. But heart illness takes time to happen.
clear E!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 176

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 02:22
This one is an Exampack 2 question.

---------------------------------------------------------
Please kudos me if this helps. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 64

Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 14:17
I guess I have to continue drinking wine.

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 1474

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 01:50
again, I got this question on EP2. GMAC is really lacking a sufficient pool of questions? I think I can be eligible to get my money back.

KUDO me plenty

Math Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 03:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A diet high in saturated fats increases a person's risk of developing heart disease. Regular consumption of red wine reduces that risk. Per-capita consumption of saturated fats is currently about the same in France as in the United States, but there is less heart disease there than in the United States because consumption of red wine is higher in France. The difference in regular red-wine consumption has been narrowing, but no similar convergence in heart-disease rates has occurred.

Diet high in saturated fats increases a person's risk of developing heart disease
Regular consumption of red wine reduces the risk .
Per capita consumption of saturated fats is about the same in France and US , but red wine consumption is higher in France .
Difference in red wine consumption has been decreasing , however no similar convergence in heart-disease rates has occurred.

Paradox -

A. Consumption of saturated fats is related more strongly to the growth of fatty deposits on artery walls, which reduce blood flow to the heart, than it is to heart disease directly. Irrelevant

B. Over the past 30 years, per-capita consumption of saturated fats has remained essentially unchanged in the United States but has increased somewhat in France. Irrelevant

C. Reports of the health benefits of red wine have led many people in the United States to drink red wine regularly. Does not help the resolve the paradox

D. Cigarette smoking, which can also contribute to heart disease, is only slightly more common in France than in the United States.
It does not resolve the paradox , but on the contrary does the opposite .

E. Regular consumption of red wine is declining dramatically among young adults in France, and heart disease typically does not manifest itself until middle age.
Correct - Consumption of red wine is declining among young adults in France but the effects will only manifest when these people are in middle age.

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2016, 22:14
chunjuwu wrote:

Which of the following, if true, most helps to account for the lack of convergence noted above?

A. Consumption of saturated fats is related more strongly to the growth of fatty deposits on artery walls, which reduce blood flow to the heart, than it is to heart disease directly.

B. Over the past 30 years, per-capita consumption of saturated fats has remained essentially unchanged in the United States but has increased somewhat in France.

C. Reports of the health benefits of red wine have led many people in the United States to drink red wine regularly.

Stem : Resolve paradox. Per capita consumption of wine in France is currently similar to US but heart attack less in France.

Premise 1 : Red wine reduces heart attacks.

The word to note here is per capita. So we don't know who is consuming the wine. It could be a 90 - 10 scenario where 90% of wine is consumed by 10% people.

Looking at the options, only E stands true.

So middle aged folks are drinking wine, young people are not.... This explains why even though per capita consumption of wine is similar to US, heart attacks are less

Kudos if I helped ;)

Top Contributor
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: 0 Q47 V29
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 376 [0], given: 606

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 05:28
Top Contributor
the key here is "The difference in regular red-wine consumption has been narrowing."

Out of B and E, E answers the paradox.
For option B, it's possible that RW consumption in F increased along with the mentioned increase in SF consumption. This change ,along with the increase in RW consumption in USA, should have narrowed the gap in the number of heart decrease in the two countries. But as per the argument that didn't happen.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 05:05
The difference in regular red-wine consumption has been narrowing, but no similar convergence in heart-disease rates has occurred.

The narrowing difference need not be because of more consumption of Alcohol from USA. It can also be attributed to what has been mentioned in point E ( Regular consumption of red wine is declining dramatically among young adults in France ).

By this, the red wine consumption of middle age people USA has not changed much, but the middle age people in France continue their regular consumption of red wine.

Hence E is correct.

Re: A diet high in saturated fats increases a person's risk of   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2016, 05:05