Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 21:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Different Profile - How well does it fare with the adcoms

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
A Different Profile - How well does it fare with the adcoms [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 12:57
Hi Paul,
First of all thank you for providing such helpful insight into the choices of B Schools.

I have a slightly different profile and was wondering if such a profile would be acceptable to B schools.

Work Exp : 8 yrs
Industry : Merchant Marine ( Oil Transportation )
Designation : Navigating officer
Previous GMAT : 690 ( Q 48, V 37 ) , Planning to take the GMAT again in 1 months time.
Choice of Schools : Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, Tuck, Stern, Columbia, INSEAD, LBS
Post MBA Concentration : Energy Consulting/ Brokerage

With absolutely no experience in the " Corporate " world, would my profile be suitable for B Schools listed above. Also what kind of score should I be targetting ?

Thank You
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: A Different Profile - How well does it fare with the adcoms [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 20:54
Expert's post
Hey IEsailor:
thanks for reaching out to me. This is how I would think about your situation. Let us take a step back here. Why would an applicant even need to have "corporate" work experience?

It is basically because the admissions committee wants to know that you can get a job coming out of school.

So the question that you really want to ask is -- can I convince an admissions committee that by going to their specific program that I will be able to get a job that builds logically off of my current work experience? So the equation here really has two parts -- the first being is your school be appropriate choice for the goals you lay out -- the second being is your work experience related to your future goals -- a third component is really implied -- is a job for going for even related to an MBA degree? From what you have stated as your goals, it is related.

I think what you are going to have a bigger issue with why you are picking the schools that have targeted -- given that you want to go into energy consulting. By "brokerage" I am assuming that you mean energy trading. To be honest with you the schools that you want to be targeting are all pretty much located in Texas -- with McCombs being your top choice. Of course or other programs like SMU that would also have strong representation and focus in the energy sector. So I am a little mystified by INSEAD and LBS for example.....

Given your nontraditional background, I think you may be able to get away with a score in the high 600s. I think that your desire to get a higher GMAT score, when combined with a high GPA, will get you grant money at some of the schools -- meaning Texas.

My advice to you is to make sure you absolutely nail your school choice and absolutely nail to a cross your short and long-term goals -- that is how they logically build off of your current experiences. If you drop the ball on that one, you are really going to be set adrift.

it is my belief that you are exactly the type of candidate that I can help and to be honest, would enjoy working with given your nontraditional background. I suggest we set up a consultation to discuss. Please let me know if this would be something you would be interested in. Please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Different Profile - How well does it fare with the adcoms [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 04:13
Thank you for the response Paul. For further help, ive dispatched a mail to you on the the email ID provided by you.

Many thanks again.