Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 07:02
Hi,

I took GMAT today, score on verbal was surprising for me.
GMAT Prep1: 600
GMAT Prep2: 640 (Q47, V31)

My reliability in English has been very poor, but not poor to the extent to get a 17 i have been getting scores in range of 25 to 31 in all the CAT i took.

Maths also came as a surprise, but I realized in 3 questions within the 1st 20 i had done some silly mistakes to get them wrong after confimring the answer.

Need help from you guys/girls for my 2nd attempt. I want to attempt it in this year itself (you can make out from my post why I am struggling in English). I feel my approach to questions is wrong especially in Sentence correction. I have gone through some of the posts & planning to device my strategy for the retake on Verbal. Could you please give me few quick tips to schedule my studies (for a retake all schedules are for a fresh take) & correct my approach.

For Maths i will go through Kaplan problems hope it will suffice to take it up to Q 49 - 50.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 07:39
Hi Vaibhavw,

Dont loose heart. You already have a good Quant score and have been doing well in Quants in mock tests also consistently. So, you have to work on improving verbal only.

Do share a little more about your preparation materials.

Also, do refer to best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html?highlight=ml308 for the recommendations of verbal preparation.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 08:04
Don't lose faith and start over again. If you score a 700 on your next attempt it help your confidence and this confidence will show up on your applications as well.

Good luck!

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 09:02
For math section I'll suggest to go through gmatclub test.

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 09:30
What study material have you used for verbal ? Can you throw some light on your verbal prep strategies ?
Intern
Intern

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 09:33
If you have access to Manhattan they have good strategy guides that cover verbal. For RC - read as much as you can as often as you can. This will help with SC also. For CR - the OG is the best resource.
Intern
Intern

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 13:38
Hi,
Thanks for such a quick response, its really encouraging.
Materials referred:
I have been using OG 11th edition & for grammar reference I used MGMAT CR. Also I solved 250 question from 1000 SC set.

Accuracy:
My accuracy was hovering around 50 - 60% equally in all the 3 sections. The biggest issue I was facing is that i was not 100% sure on the answer i was selecting.
I take roughly 120 to 135 sec for SC, close to 180 Sec for RC & CR questions each.

Gaps according to me:
I did not keep a track of mistakes i had been making, by the end i was confused so as to what is my weak area.
The approach i took for questions is to try & eliminate wrong choices in CR & SC. In RC i used to struggle with Inference or tone questions rest was fine.

What books do you recommend, for more practice as i have already completely solved OG 11.
I am also planning to use error log for all the future practice sessions.

For Maths i will go through the GMAT club questions.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 5

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
The best advice I could give would be to write *everything* perfectly. That includes these posts. When I just graduated from college, my English was very good, but my job required me to communicate more casually. This was hard at first (and in fact I'm losing that "casual" tone from GMAT prep), but it basically involved writing a paragraph, looking it over, deleting a few words, rewriting it, revising a bit more, then sending out the e-mail, often with a couple grammatical errors that I forgot to edit out when I re-worded a sentence. Yes, this also meant a 2-3 paragraph e-mail would take me 5 minutes to write and another 5 minutes to edit, but over time this got easier.

Other than that, try some of the SC in the GMATClub's SC forum. It really helps to have people debate about a certain answer, rather than just reading the OG's answer. Often times you're picking between two answers, and the OG or MGMAT dismisses the other answer with an explanation of "awkward." GMATClub members in the SC forum actually try to break down and explain how they avoided the wrong answer's trap.

(And yes, I did routinely go through and re-word and re-edit my sentences in this post too.)

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 17:44
definitely focus on verbal a lot more - maybe 80/20 time split. Use error logs on quant and I suggest an overhaul on verbal since it seems you havent grasped the concepts yet for verbal.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 06:30
Thanks for the quick tips...i will work on it & let you know the progress that i have made...will need more help in future for sure.. :)
Thanks guys..
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
WE 1: Project Management, Telecommunications
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 06:52
NewSc2 wrote:
The best advice I could give would be to write *everything* perfectly. That includes these posts. When I just graduated from college, my English was very good, but my job required me to communicate more casually. This was hard at first (and in fact I'm losing that "casual" tone from GMAT prep), but it basically involved writing a paragraph, looking it over, deleting a few words, rewriting it, revising a bit more, then sending out the e-mail, often with a couple grammatical errors that I forgot to edit out when I re-worded a sentence. Yes, this also meant a 2-3 paragraph e-mail would take me 5 minutes to write and another 5 minutes to edit, but over time this got easier.

Other than that, try some of the SC in the GMATClub's SC forum. It really helps to have people debate about a certain answer, rather than just reading the OG's answer. Often times you're picking between two answers, and the OG or MGMAT dismisses the other answer with an explanation of "awkward." GMATClub members in the SC forum actually try to break down and explain how they avoided the wrong answer's trap.

(And yes, I did routinely go through and re-word and re-edit my sentences in this post too.)

This is great advice. I've been doing the same, catching errors in my sentences and editing my emails before I send them out.

You can even do this to improve your reading comprehension. Even though my job itself isn't technical, my work is, so I spend an extra few moments understanding the technical aspects of the argument instead of just skimming it over as I used to do. It's great practice.

(I also edited this post for correctness, although my SC still needs work) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 10:07
hope u do well next time!!all the best
Re: A disappointing 520 (Q44, V17)   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2010, 10:07