Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A disappointing 600 on the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross '16
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 61

A disappointing 600 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 22:53
Hey guys,

I am really disappointed with my GMAT score. I got a 600 (Q-45 and V-27)and this is the first time i have taken the GMAT. I would appreciate it if you could help me out here. i was aiming for a 48 + on Quant and a 40+ on verbal.

I took my GMAT on 10th July Wednesday. My slot was at 8.30 am. I guess this is one of the mistakes that i did. I am not a morning kind of person but i booked a slot for the 8.30 am exam.

I arrived at the test center at 8. the formalities were completed by 8.30 and my exam started at 8.40. The AWA and IR section went smoothly. i had time to revise the essay and also complete the IR section on time. I took a break and started the Quant section. This is one of my strongest section. The questions were moderate to tough initially and i could sense the difficulty level increasing. However towards the end, i got stuck at q 34 and ended spending a lot of time there.This affected my strategy. I lost time and had to guess the remaining 3 questions. I was very pissed at myself for doing that.

I took a break and kept thinking about those 3 questions which i guessed because i really didn't enjoy doing it. Nevertheless i started the verbal section . I really couldn't concentrate properly as i was kinda thinking about those 3 questions in Quant. I ended up spending a lot of time on the first 20 questions and this cost me a lot because of that.THAT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE. In the end i had around 21 questions left and 15 mins remaining. i guessed 15 questions. and i terribly lost out on Verbal.

I came out of the exam center and literally cried. I prepared really well but I screwed it up. i want to know where I went wrong so that I can improve on those. I know it sounds stupid but does the official report provide any breakup on the sections where i went wrong( like CR-8 questions incorrect etc..) ? I also want to improve my timing and finish the sections before the allotted time. I prepared really well and was aiming for a 750 score( in my mocks my score ranged from 660-730. I also took a mock on the last day before the exam.) Somehow things turned sour at the exam day. i plan to take the GMAT in Aug end and i will definitely take the evening slot. I know within myself that i can beat this exam.

I am avid GMATCLUB observer and learnt a lot from this site. Though i haven't contributed anything, i have practiced and understood a lot from these forums. Bunuel's questions and explanations were extremely good and i have worked on the 700-800 level questions posted by Sandeep. I have also taken the free tests present in this club and regularly tried to improve my score on Quant. I also work on the "GMAT question of the day" just to keep myself in the groove.However i would require some help on Verbal, the timing aspects especially.

I would really appreciate it if any seniors/past GMAT takers could provide me with some valuable pointers for improvement.I am open to strategies for improvement(Especially verbal and timing). i really want to beat this exam. Please help.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 227 [1] , given: 543

Re: A disappointing 600 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
I would recommend e-gmat for verbal you can read their articles over here and see if they work for you. They have free lessons / videos if you sign create an account

e-gmat-s-all-sc-topics-consolidated-144985.html

For quant check my signature for the site gmat quantum and see if it helps.

Good luck!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Analyst (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: A disappointing 600 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 18:15
I'm sorry you didn't get the score you were hoping for. I wish you much success for your next test. :-D
Re: A disappointing 600 on the GMAT   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2013, 18:15