Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 08:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

36% (03:25) correct 64% (01:42) wrong based on 25 sessions
A distemper virus has caused two-thirds of the seal population in the North Sea to die since May 1988. The explanation for the deaths cannot rest here, however. There must be a reason the normally latent virus could prevail so suddenly: clearly the severe pollution of the North Sea waters must have weakened the immune system of the seals so that they could no longer withstand the virus.

Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the explanation given in the argument?
(A) At various times during the last ten years, several species of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea have experienced unprecedented steep drops in population.
(B) By reducing pollution at its source, Northern Europe and Scandinavia have been taking the lead in preventing pollution from reaching the waters of the North Sea.
(C) For many years, fish for human consumption have been taken from the waters of the North Sea.
(D) There are two species of seal found throughout the North Sea area, the common seal and the gray seal.
(E) The distemper caused by the virus was a disease that was new to the population of North Sea seals in May 1988, and so the seals’ immune systems were unprepared to counter it.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 10:08
:( No clue for this one. each of the answer choice either weaken the explanation or is irrelevant...

Waiting for the official explanation. :arrow:
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 12:01
madeinafrica wrote:
:( No clue for this one. each of the answer choice either weaken the explanation or is irrelevant...

Waiting for the official explanation. :arrow:

Dont you want to try first?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 10

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 12:22
I pick E

Argument 1: a virus killed 2/3 of seals
Argument 2: the virus was normally latent
Explanation: seals had a weak immune system and could not withstand the virus

The right answer will make a link between virus and immune system. Only E does this, all other choices are irrelevant.

What is OA?

Yes I can!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 12:32
nifoui wrote:
I pick E

Argument 1: a virus killed 2/3 of seals
Argument 2: the virus was normally latent
Explanation: seals had a weak immune system and could not withstand the virus

The right answer will make a link between virus and immune system. Only E does this, all other choices are irrelevant.

What is OA?

E actually weaks the conclusion.

The argument states that was the pollution the reason that weakened the immune system, and therefore the seals could no longer withstand the virus.
As per E it was the virus itself what weakened the immune system.

The OA must support that was the pollution and no other thing the responsible of the immune system weakness.

Hope that helps.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 10

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 12:54
You're right Noboru... but that's a tough one!

A: out of scope, talks about shellfish and seabirds and does not support the argument
B: this is the only valid choice left, it does talk about pollution but I do not understand how it supports the argument...
C: out of scope
D: out of scope
E: as you said, weakens

Looking fwd to the OA :)

Yes I can!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 13:11
nifoui wrote:

Yeah, it's weird.

A) Seems to imply that the North Sea is a sketchy place for things to live, not for just the seals
B) Implies that yes, there is pollution kicking around in the North Sea
C) Is completely irrelevant
D) Same with this one, we don't care
E) This is probably what I would have chosen too, simply because it seems the most related. It points out that back in the day, the virus' disease was a toughie for the seals' immune systems... but that's kind of par for the course for most new diseases in any animal population.

After some thought, I'll have to go with A. None of the answers seems to support a direct link between pollution and seal immune systems. But A and B both at least demonstrate that the pollution is even there. A goes further than B and implies that there's enough troubling conditions in the area to cause ecological damage.

IMO none of the answers provide good support at all... but the Q wants us to find the strongest, which in this case seems to be the best of a bad lot. For me if I saw that other animals were croaking in the same area as the seals that would at least provide a basis on which to take the pollution theory a bit more seriously!

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 13:37
dalmba wrote:
nifoui wrote:

Yeah, it's weird.

A) Seems to imply that the North Sea is a sketchy place for things to live, not for just the seals
B) Implies that yes, there is pollution kicking around in the North Sea
C) Is completely irrelevant
D) Same with this one, we don't care
E) This is probably what I would have chosen too, simply because it seems the most related. It points out that back in the day, the virus' disease was a toughie for the seals' immune systems... but that's kind of par for the course for most new diseases in any animal population.

After some thought, I'll have to go with A. None of the answers seems to support a direct link between pollution and seal immune systems. But A and B both at least demonstrate that the pollution is even there. A goes further than B and implies that there's enough troubling conditions in the area to cause ecological damage.

IMO none of the answers provide good support at all... but the Q wants us to find the strongest, which in this case seems to be the best of a bad lot. For me if I saw that other animals were croaking in the same area as the seals that would at least provide a basis on which to take the pollution theory a bit more seriously!

OK, but in A it could be the virus (and therefore not the pollution) what made the decline of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea, and if that were the case, there is no support of the conclusion

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 13:47
noboru wrote:
OK, but in A it could be the virus (and therefore not the pollution) what made the decline of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea, and if that were the case, there is no support of the conclusion

Yeah but it doesn't even imply that, so you can't make that assumption (it's unlikely that a virus that messes up seals in a specific way is going to cross to other species anyway). I can come up with all kinds of assumptions about all of the answers to both improve and dissolve their supportive capacity for the argument... but that of course is not the point. You can only take what is directly stated as truth and then see which truths, however absolutely distant, are the closest (relatively) to supporting the argument. And for me that remains A after the discussion here that helped me see where E falls short.

Seems the best thing you can do is post the OA. That way we can all work backwards and try to fetter out the reasoning!

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 13:51
dalmba wrote:
noboru wrote:

Yeah but it doesn't even imply that, so you can't make that assumption (it's unlikely that a virus that messes up seals in a specific way is going to cross to other species anyway). I can come up with all kinds of assumptions about all of the answers to both improve and dissolve their supportive capacity for the argument... but that of course is not the point. You can only take what is directly stated as truth and then see which truths, however absolutely distant, are the closest (relatively) to supporting the argument. And for me that remains A after the discussion here that helped me see where E falls short.

Seems the best thing you can do is post the OA. That way we can all work backwards and try to fetter out the reasoning!

OA is A.
For me this is a very difficult one.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 14:08
noboru wrote:
OA is A.

It's probably because none of the answers really make a solid connection between the pollution and the immune systems of the seals. So we're forced to pick the answer that comes the closest. When making my final decision, I looked at it as if I had been called to investigate whether or not the argument (pollution weakens immune system) was true or not. However my time is valuable (hypothetically :wink:) so I want to know if I should even waste my time.

Treating each of the answers as a "reason" to go ahead and investigate, which is the most compelling?

Obviously not C or D because they're obviously not even close to being related to the topic.

B is a bit interesting because it implies that pollution does exist in the North Sea but I can readily assume that water pollution exists all over the place, so why do I care?

E is an interesting fact... but doesn't add anything that I don't already know or could have easily inferred.

But A notes that things are often dying in hordes out in the North Sea. While this does not say anything about seals or pollution or even viruses, it makes me raise an eyebrow and think "huh, maybe there is something funky going on out there. We should probably check it out." In more formal terms, A provides plausible evidence for a common variable in animal death in the North Sea. Based on general knowledge, this is more likely to do with some sort of shift in the ecosystem than it is to do with a seal virus.

It's tempting to start dreaming up reasons why A COULD be wrong: like you said... maybe it IS the virus that's killing birds. Maybe the death of the seals is messing up the food chain? But we don't know, so we have to keep an open mind about it. Maybe it is the pollution that's killing birds and sea life... so maybe it IS the pollution that's leading to seal death as well. None of the other answers really invoke that line of thinking as well as A does.

Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 14:33
noboru wrote:

OA is A.

I really don't see how (A) could support the fact that pollution caused dammage to the immune system of these fish or whatever... :roll:
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 15:43
madeinafrica wrote:
noboru wrote:

OA is A.

I really don't see how (A) could support the fact that pollution caused dammage to the immune system of these fish or whatever... :roll:

dalmba has explained it above.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 17:05
what is the source of this question?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 01:04
Great question....I am still bit apprehensive about A.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 19:11
i choose E without realize that it weaken argument...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 22:53
A

(A) At various times during the last ten years, several species of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea have experienced unprecedented steep drops in population --> In argument “There must be a reason the normally latent virus could prevail so suddenly” explains that there is something else in north sea causing deaths of shellfish (Pollution). This to some extent supports the argument
(B) By reducing pollution at its source, Northern Europe and Scandinavia have been taking the lead in preventing pollution from reaching the waters of the North Sea --> weaken
(C) For many years, fish for human consumption have been taken from the waters of the North Sea --> weaken by countering the argument with another reason
(D) There are two species of seal found throughout the North Sea area, the common seal and the gray seal --> out of scope
(E) The distemper caused by the virus was a disease that was new to the population of North Sea seals in May 1988, and so the seals’ immune systems were ..” --- >weaken
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 13:36
Correct answer is A

(A) At various times during the last ten years, several species of shellfish and seabirds in the North Sea have experienced unprecedented steep drops in population.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:55
E?

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 32

Re: distemper virus [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 20:30
Best is A

1)Supports: Pollution is causing others sea creatures to die as well
2) Weakens
3)Out of Scope
4)Out of Scope
5) Weakens

So Something that doesn't weakens is kind of neutral or may be supporting the Explanation.

No where it is told that we would get a perfect answer in answer choices. Relatively better is Good to choose.

Doesn't this resembles our day to day lives. We take decisions based on which is a better choice.Perfection is not always required. :wink:
Re: distemper virus   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2011, 20:30