Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [63]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618802 [34]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [16]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [9]
Send PM
Re: A dog breeder currently has 9 breeding dogs. 6 of the dogs have exactl [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sm021984 wrote:
A dog breeder currently has 9 breeding dogs. 6 of the dogs have exactly 1 littermate, and 3 of the dogs have exactly 2 littermates. If 2 dogs are selected at random, what is the probability that both selected dogs are NOT
littermates ?

A)1/6
B)2/9
c)5/6
D)7/9
E)8/9

There are a total of 9 dogs - 3 have exactly 2 litter mates. 6 have only 1 litter mate.
Say A has two litter mates B and C. Then B also has two litter mates - A and C and C also has two litter mates A and B. There will be only one such group of 3 dogs where each has exactly 2 litter mates.
Of the remaining 6, say D's litter mate is E. Then E's litter mate is D. Neither of them will have any other litter mate.
Similarly, F's litter mate is G and G's litter mate is F.
H's litter mate is I and I's litter mate is H.

A, B, C
D, E
F, G
H, I

In how many ways can we select two dogs such that they ARE litter mates?
You can do it in two ways:

Finding number of combinations:
We can select D, E or F, G or H, I i.e. 3 ways.
Of A, B, C, we can select any two in 3C2 = 3 ways.
Total ways of selecting 2 litter mates is 3+3 = 6

Total ways of selecting 2 dogs out of 9 is 9C2 = 36

Probability of selecting 2 dogs such that they are litter mates = 6/36 = 1/6
Probability of selecting 2 dogs such that they are not litter mates = 1 - 1/6 = 5/6

Directly using probability:

Probability of selecting a dog out of D, E, F, G, H and I = 6/9 = 2/3
Probability of selecting his litter mate = 1/8

Probability of selecting a dog out of A, B and C = 3/9 = 1/3
Probability of selecting his litter mate = 2/8 = 1/4

Probability of selecting 2 litter mates = 2/3 *1/8 + 1/3*1/4 = 1/6
Probability of selecting non litter mates = 1 - 1/6 = 5/6
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: A dog breeder currently has 9 breeding dogs. 6 of the dogs have exactl [#permalink]
what is the meaning of a litter mate btw and what if on the test day i get this kind of term which i dont understand like a dogs littermate . :?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
garimavyas wrote:
what is the meaning of a litter mate btw and what if on the test day i get this kind of term which i dont understand like a dogs littermate . :?

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled when I came across this word either. But it isn't hard to guess who a litter mate is. A litter mate would be a dog born in the same litter. I really doubt you will get any ambiguous terminology on the real test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [14]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A dog breeder currently has 9 breeding dogs. 6 of the dogs have exactly 1 littermate, and 3 of the dogs have exactly 2 littermates. If 2 dogs are selected at random, what is the probability that both selected dogs are NOT littermates?

A. 1/6
B. 2/9
C. 5/6
D. 7/9
E. 8/9

Originally posted by Joy111 on 05 May 2012, 19:55.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 May 2012, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Kudos
1) select no littermates from Group 1 (1-2), (3-4), (5-6)
6*2=12 (i.e. 1-3; 1-4; 1-5;1-6;2-3;2-4;2-5;2-6;3-5;3-6;4-5;4-6)

2) select no littermates from Group 2 (7-8-9) . it equals to zero

3) select a dog from Group 1 and one from Group 2 (again no littermate)

3*6=18

(12+0+18)/9C2=30/36=5/6
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Well i find it easy to solve these relationship problems plainly by looking at the number of relationships.

Since 6 have exactly 1 littermate ,
what u really have are 3 relationships amongst 6 .
1->2
3->4
5->6

Since 3 have exactly 2 relationships.
what u really have are 3 relationships.
7->8
8->9
7->9

Total of 6 relationships.
Probability they will be relatied = number of relationships/ total number of ways u can pick 2 from 9
= 6/ 9C2
=6/36=1/6

Hence Probablity that they are not related is = 1- 1/6 = 5/6
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Joy111 wrote:
A dog breeder currently has 9 breeding dogs. 6 of the dogs have exactly 1 littermate, and 3 of the dogs have exactly 2 littermates. If 2 dogs are selected at random, what is the probability that both selected dogs are NOT littermates?

A. 1/6
B. 2/9
C. 5/6
D. 7/9
E. 8/9

We have three pairs of dogs for the 6 with exactly one littermate, and one triplet, with each having exactly two littermates.
So, in fact there are two types of dogs: those with one littermate - say A, and the others with two littermates - B.

Work with probabilities:
Choosing two dogs, we can have either one dog of type B or none (we cannot have two dogs both of type B).
The probability of choosing one dog of type B and one of type A is 3/9 * 6/8 * 2 = 1/2 (the factor of 2 for the two possibilities BA and AB).
The probability of choosing two dogs of type A which are not littermates is 6/9 * 4/8 = 1/3 (choose one A, then another A which isn't the previous one's littermate).
The required probability is 1/2 + 1/3 = 5/6.

Find the probability for the complementary event: choose AA or BB.
Probability of choosing two dogs of type A who are littermates is 6/9 * 1/8 = 1/12.
Probability of choosing two dogs of type B (who necessarily are littermates) is 3/9 * 2/8 = 1/12.
Again, we obtain 1 - (1/12 + 1/12) = 5/6.

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
A dog breeder currently has 9 breeding dogs. 6 of the dogs have exactly 1 littermate, and 3 of the dogs have exactly 2 littermates. If 2 dogs are selected at random, what is the probability that both selected dogs are NOT
littermates ?

A)1/6
B)2/9
c)5/6
D)7/9
E)8/9

If I name the dogs A thro I then then below are the pairs ->

AB
BA
CD
DC
EF
FE
G H and I
H G and I
I G and H

To select a pair that is not a little mate then

I can select any of 9 dogs for the 1st slot....

then how to do i got about?
I could i have selected A in my 1st pick then i have remaining 7 to chose from (leaving B) = 9 * 7 / 2!

but If i select G 1st the I have 6 dogs left to chose from (leaving I and H) = 9 * 6 /2!

But this doesn't seem to work?

Bunuel please help

OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Jp27 wrote:
littermates ?

A)1/6
B)2/9
c)5/6
D)7/9
E)8/9

AB
BA
CD
DC
EF
FE
G H and I
H G and I
I G and H

I could i have selected A in my 1st pick then i have remaining 7 to chose from (leaving B) = 9 * 7 / 2!

but If i select G 1st the I have 6 dogs left to chose from (leaving I and H) = 9 * 6 /2!

Bunuel please help

OA

How to understand 6 dogs have 1 littermate and 3 dogs have 2 littermates and the question is about dogs without littermates?
:shock:
What does littermate in this case mean?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
actleader wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
littermates ?

A)1/6
B)2/9
c)5/6
D)7/9
E)8/9

AB
BA
CD
DC
EF
FE
G H and I
H G and I
I G and H

Bunuel please help

OA

How to understand 6 dogs have 1 littermate and 3 dogs have 2 littermates and the question is about dogs without littermates?

I just translated "littermate" to pair...
Although this is from kaplan I have seen more similar questions from Manhattan, which are quite strait forward for example:

there 8 ppl in a committee each have 1 sibling pair how many ways to select a 3 ppl who are NOT a sibling pair ->

8 * 6 * 4 / 3! = 32.
this 1 is extension of this problem with more pairs hence more difficult.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Jp27 wrote:
actleader wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
littermates ?

A)1/6
B)2/9
c)5/6
D)7/9
E)8/9

AB
BA
CD
DC
EF
FE
G H and I
H G and I
I G and H

Bunuel please help

OA

I just translated "littermate" to pair...
Although this is from kaplan I have seen more similar questions from Manhattan, which are quite strait forward for example:

there 8 ppl in a committee each have 1 sibling pair how many ways to select a 3 ppl who are NOT a sibling pair ->

8 * 6 * 4 / 3! = 32.
this 1 is extension of this problem with more pairs hence more difficult.

it is harder because of added probability conditions.
in the case with M's committees it's simply a combinatorial.

so if i've understand you rightly - thare are aditionall 6+3 littermates along with 9 dogs or I'm blunting? :?
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
HI Bunuel

Here is how i approached the problem
probablity of getting exactly two littermate = 1/6 * 2/3 = 1/9

Prob of not getting two littermate = 1 - 1/9 = 8/9

Another problem i was facing her to decide between and , or which operation to follow.

Can u pls help me with that.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
Joy111 wrote:

A. 1/6
B. 2/9
C. 5/6
D. 7/9
E. 8/9

We have three pairs of dogs for the 6 with exactly one littermate, and one triplet, with each having exactly two littermates.
So, in fact there are two types of dogs: those with one littermate - say A, and the others with two littermates - B.

Work with probabilities:
Choosing two dogs, we can have either one dog of type B or none (we cannot have two dogs both of type B).
The probability of choosing one dog of type B and one of type A is 3/9 * 6/8 * 2 = 1/2 (the factor of 2 for the two possibilities BA and AB).
The probability of choosing two dogs of type A which are not littermates is 6/9 * 4/8 = 1/3 (choose one A, then another A which isn't the previous one's littermate).
The required probability is 1/2 + 1/3 = 5/6.

Find the probability for the complementary event: choose AA or BB.
Probability of choosing two dogs of type A who are littermates is 6/9 * 1/8 = 1/12.
Probability of choosing two dogs of type B (who necessarily are littermates) is 3/9 * 2/8 = 1/12.
Again, we obtain 1 - (1/12 + 1/12) = 5/6.

Answer: C

My doubt is when you know that first category has just 1 litter mate than how can we consider while calculating 1/8 as it has only one littermate . I suppose when it is stated as 1 littermate that doesnt mean 2 in number.
if that is the case than in 2nd calculation 4 and 3 should be used not 3 and 2.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.4
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kapilhede17 wrote:
[*]A dog breeder currently has 9 breeding dogs. 6 of the dogs have exactly 1 littermate, and 3 of the dogs have exactly 2 littermates. If 2 dogs are selected at random, what is the probability that both selected dogs are NOT littermates?

A. 1/6
B. 2/9
C. 5/6
D. 7/9
E. 8/9

Please help me with a fundamental understanding:

I solved this Q using the reverse technique i.e.:
Probability of not getting any littermates = prob of not getting (a. any of littermate doubles + b. any two of littermate triplets)
= (2/9)*(7/8) + (2/9)*(7/8) + (2/9)*(7/8) + (3/9)*(6/8)
= 7/12 + 1/4
= 5/6

So, the below method should work as well:
= (2C1*7C1)*3 / 9C2 + (3C1*6C1) / 9C2

But, it does not, I guess there is some problem with 9C2, because if I replace the same with 9*8, the equation becomes the same as above

I am not able to point out the fundamental flaw in 9C2 method as we use it quite often in similar Qs

For eg:
A 10-member student leadership committee consists of 4 juniors and 6 seniors. Exactly 6 students will be selected from this group to attend a national convention. What is the probability that at least 3 seniors are selected for the committee?

Sol:
= 1- (4C4*6C2) / 10C6
= 13/14

Kindly help me to clear this fundamental flaw in my understanding. I have been banging my head over this for few hours:)

Originally posted by hiteshwd on 29 Nov 2012, 14:16.
Last edited by hiteshwd on 08 Dec 2012, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hiteshwd wrote:

Probability of not getting any littermates = prob of not getting (a. any of littermate doubles + b. any two of littermate triplets)
= (2/9)*(7*8) + (2/9)*(7*8) + (2/9)*(7*8) + (3/9)*(6*8)
= 7/12 + 1/4
= 5/6

= (2C1*7C1) / 9C2 + (3C1*6C1) / 9C2

But, it does not, I guess there is some problem with 9C2, because if I replace the same with 9*8, the equation becomes the same as above

I am not able to point out the fundamental flaw in 9C2 method as we use it quite often in similar Qs

For eg:
A 10-member student leadership committee consists of 4 juniors and 6 seniors. Exactly 6 students will be selected from this group to attend a national convention. What is the probability that at least 3 seniors are selected for the committee?

Sol:
= 1- (4C4*6C2) / 10C6
= 13/14

Kindly help me to clear this fundamental flaw in my understanding. I have been banging my head over this for few hours:)

Responding to a pm:

Finding littermates is much easier than finding non-littermates. There is much less confusion. Still, you can obviously work it out the other way around too.

Non littermates can be found in two ways:

1. You select one of the 3 littermates and one of the three pairs of 2 littermates.
3C1 * 6C1 = 18 ways

2. You select two of the three pairs of 2 littermates such that they belong to different litters.
You pick any one of the 6 dogs in 6 ways (say you picked B) and then you have 4 options (since you cannot pick A now). Say, you picked C.
There are 6*4 = 24 ways.
But wait, here, you have arranged the picked dogs. You have picked BC. In a different case, you would have picked C and then B. But both these are the same. So you need to divide 24 by 2 i.e. 12 ways.

Total number of ways of picking non-littermates = 18+12 = 30

Number of ways of picking 2 dogs = 9C2 = 36

Required Probability = 30/36 = 5/6
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.4
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Responding to a pm:

Finding littermates is much easier than finding non-littermates. There is much less confusion. Still, you can obviously work it out the other way around too.

1. You select one of the 3 littermates and one of the three pairs of 2 littermates.
3C1 * 6C1 = 18 ways

2. You select two of the three pairs of 2 littermates such that they belong to different litters.
You pick any one of the 6 dogs in 6 ways (say you picked B) and then you have 4 options (since you cannot pick A now). Say, you picked C.
There are 6*4 = 24 ways.
But wait, here, you have arranged the picked dogs. You have picked BC. In a different case, you would have picked C and then B. But both these are the same. So you need to divide 24 by 2 i.e. 12 ways.

Thanks Karishma

I realized the mistake of double counting in my approach (also, edited my post, used some wrong signs. apologies for confusion)

Also, any advice or approach recommendation so that I keep my double count in check
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
hiteshwd wrote:

= (2/9)*(7*8) + (2/9)*(7*8) + (2/9)*(7*8) + (3/9)*(6*8)
= 7/12 + 1/4
= 5/6

= (2C1*7C1) / 9C2 + (3C1*6C1) / 9C2

For eg:

Sol:
= 1- (4C4*6C2) / 10C6
= 13/14

Responding to a pm:

3C1 * 6C1 = 18 ways

There are 6*4 = 24 ways.

By working directly with probabilities, I found non-littermates more directly and faster.
Since there are 6 dogs with exactly 1 littermate each, then we have three pairs of littermates: (1-2), (3-4), (5-6): group A
Since there are 3 dogs with exactly 2 littermates each, then we have one triple of littermates: (7-8-9): group B.
The probability of not littermates is: 1st selection a dog from group B over 9 dogs ,
2nd selection a dog from group A over the 8 remaining dogs : 3/9 x 6/8
To this, we add the probability of 1st selection a dog from group A over 9 dogs, 2nd selection any of the other dods except for its mate over the 8 remaining dogs: 6/9 x 7/8
3/9 x 6/8 + 6/9 x 7/8 = 5/6
Choice C
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts