Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 14:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 2413 [0], given: 693

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 02:05
Expert's post
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 67

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 02:11
Rock750 wrote:
According to a book where i finally found this question in it, the best answer is D

Explanation from the book : If the shark can be successfully bred in captivity, it is possible to continue production of the drug without threatning the shark with extinction.

Frankly, i'd say that this question is a bad one because the source is not Official, the correct answer seems not to be the most convincing one and the explanation is short and largely debatable.

I outrightly disagree with your thoughts.
Just because you do not have an official version of the question, does not warrant that the question is not a good question.
Now, for the question above we have an official version.......Option D is dot on point ...and i do not think think that it can be challenged.
Well for the official version of the question.......Check the link below.
http://www.beatthegmat.com/ibora-t8151.html
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/a-d ... t3788.html
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... -wild.html

Going through the explanation you will come to know why E is incorrect...
@carcass i think you must have gone through the question above....its an OG question......

Consider Kudos, If my post helps!!!

Archit
VP
VP

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 02:45
carcass wrote:
Instead I agree with rock. First of all if a question is similar then that doesn't mean to have the same answer.

moreover., even a little change in a word or punctuation can change the same completely or almost....

Problem like this are a waste of time

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2

There is no change in punctation or anythn else...
Option D and E are the same .....Seeing the questions , which is similar to OG questions, i too get alarmed......
The options are clearly worded..Option e weakens, but option D weakens more severly....the manhattan blog mentioned in my previous post mentions the same thn......
Option E cannot be the correct answer.....

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit
VP
VP

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 02:48
carcass wrote:
Instead I agree with rock. First of all if a question is similar then that doesn't mean to have the same answer.

moreover., even a little change in a word or punctuation can change the same completely or almost....

Problem like this are a waste of time

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2

The answer must not be same , bt the logic to be applied remains the same....

Archit
Expert Post

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 07:17
Expert's post
Dear archit.

I said something taht is related in general.

I went over the question at end to embrace a general point of view.

I already forgot about the question: whenever you see something that is not clear......you already are out of the GMAT land. No doubts

Gmat questions are so consistent that you can solve even in 1000 ways.....in the end you have no doubt on what the question is.

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:32
Based on the explanation given by Veritasprep instructor and the correlation between Cat and Alfs, E stands out as the answer.!! Frankly, I marked D at first, but reading all the explanations, i changed my mind!

Waiting for the OA!!

One Last Shot

VP
VP

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:13
surya167 wrote:
Based on the explanation given by Veritasprep instructor and the correlation between Cat and Alfs, E stands out as the answer.!! Frankly, I marked D at first, but reading all the explanations, i changed my mind!

Waiting for the OA!!

Sadly, we do not have Official answer to substantiate to ur opinion.
But i have seen many times ppl ron presenting analogies, but when OA is posted, he appears to be wrong....
i just say one thing if Option D is wrong here than logic to Official question is also wrong

Archit
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:19
Archit143 wrote:
surya167 wrote:

Waiting for the OA!!

But i have seen many times ppl ron presenting analogies, but when OA is posted, he appears to be wrong....
i just say one thing if Option D is wrong here than logic to Official question is also wrong

Archit

What do u mean by?

?

One Last Shot

VP
VP

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:22
surya167 wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
surya167 wrote:

Waiting for the OA!!

Archit

What do u mean by?

?

a-drug-that-is-highly-effective-in-treating-many-types-of-33709.html?fl=similar

Check the link a similar question from OG......

Archit
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 66

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:40
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
surya167 wrote:
Archit143 wrote:

Archit

What do u mean by?

?

a-drug-that-is-highly-effective-in-treating-many-types-of-33709.html?fl=similar

Check the link a similar question from OG......

Archit

Hey all, I'm not going to get them all right in verbal if that's the debate.

Personally, I really didn't like the use of the term "under the proper conditions" in D, it makes more sense to me that you can't render something extinct if you don't have access to it. They may go extinct on their own but it won't be because of the drug. As mentioned above, this question is a little suspect, but I'm fine with D being the "official" answer as long as the explanation is logical.

Thanks!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 11:51
Expert's post
Ok Guys being serious

The only source of this question is takegmat.com

But the answer, the OA is not given on the website and the question is dated 2010

After a while on google I have founded a bank with this question where the OA is D and the OE is this

Quote:
The best answer is D. If the shark can be successfully bred in captivity, it is possible
to continue production of the drug without threatening the shark with extinction.

This is like saying: the sun rises in the east.......too abvious.

From now on I beg you whenever you share a question to put at the bottom the OA. After all, it is an explicit forum's rule

Thanks

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

VP
VP

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 12:22
I think there is nothing wrong in the OE .......and OA must be D...Well, i also support that OA must be posted.....

Archit
Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 12:22