Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Bocconi '15 (A)
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 33

A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 04:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

91% (01:00) correct 9% (01:03) wrong based on 53 sessions
A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of cancerous growth can, at present, be obtained only from the cartilage of a particular sub-species of shark, a sub-species which is quite rare in the wild.? One must kill 50 sharks to make one pound of the drug.? If follows, therefore, that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the extinction of this sub-species of shark.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A) The drug made from the shark cartilage is dispensed to doctors from a central authority.
B) The drug made from the shark cartilage is expensive to produce.
C) Other organs of the shark can be utilized to produce different drugs.
D) The sub-species of shark will reproduce in captivity under the proper conditions.
E) This sub-species of shark generally lives in largely inaccessible waters.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1165 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
rajatr wrote:
A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of cancerous growth can, at present, be obtained only from the cartilage of a particular sub-species of shark, a sub-species which is quite rare in the wild.? One must kill 50 sharks to make one pound of the drug.? If follows, therefore, that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the extinction of this sub-species of shark.

A) The drug made from the shark cartilage is dispensed to doctors from a central authority.
D) The sub-species of shark will reproduce in captivity under the proper conditions.

weakens the argument: "that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the extinction of this sub-species of shark."
We are looking for an answer that explains why the drug will NOT lead to extinction.

A)irrelevant
B)irrelevant
C)Even if "organs of the shark can be utilized to produce different drugs" we cannot conclude that the specie is not in danger.
D)CORRECT, "shark will reproduce in captivity under the proper conditions" so the drug will NOT lead this sub-species of shark to extinction
E)out of scope

IMO D

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 05:37
A - Out of scope
B - Price is not an issue
C - Doesn't alleviate the issue
D - Correct, addresses problem of sourcing the drug
E - Out of Scope
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 85

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 05:44
rajatr wrote:

Hi rajatr,
the conclusion is : To make 1 pound of the drug , one must kill 50 sharks and that will lead inevitably [sooner or later] to the extinction of this sub-species of shark while the production is sustained.

E weakens the argument properly stating that this sub-species of shark generally lives in largely inaccessible waters and because of this inaccessibility, the sub-species of shark will remain for sure.

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 05:55
@ issokayireloaded and Zarrolou

E is NOT OUT OF SCOPE it's in my opinion the correct answer as explained above.

Now, the issue whith D is that even if the sub-species of shark will reproduce in captivity under the proper conditions, it will just postpone the extinction but since this sub-species are RARE in the wild and the drug can be obtained ONLY from the cartillage of the sub-species ; Hence, the extinction is inevitable and it cannot be avoided as long as the production will need it.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 22

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 06:40
Rock750 wrote:

Now, the issue whith D is that even if the sub-species of shark will reproduce in captivity under the proper conditions, it will just postpone the extinction but since this sub-species are RARE in the wild and the drug can be obtained ONLY from the cartillage of the sub-species ; Hence, the extinction is inevitable and it cannot be avoided as long as the production will need it.

This seems incorrect to me. What if we have large breeding grounds for these sharks such that supply is much much greater than demand.
Also you cannot challenge the premise in CR.

the cartilage of a particular sub-species of shark, a sub-species which is quite rare in the wild.?
E says they are inaccessible.

Should be 100% D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 06:54
BangOn wrote:
Rock750 wrote:

This seems incorrect to me. What if we have large breeding grounds for these sharks such that supply is much much greater than demand.

the cartilage of a particular sub-species of shark, a sub-species which is quite rare in the wild.?

Should be 100% D

Should be 100% E :-D
[D) The sub-species of shark will reproduce in captivity under the proper conditions.]

Your assumption about large breeding grounds is beyond what D actually states. Furthermore, your assumption cannot be valid because , according to the argument, One must kill 50 sharks to make one pound of the drug.

BangOn wrote:

who said that ?
In fact, the use of "generally" explains well why this sub-species are RARE but never said that ALL this sub-species lives in inaccessible waters

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 06:59
Quote:

Should be 100% D

it cannot be D
in fact E is the perfect answer .well if u ask me to give some solid proof then plz check one official question which is based on the same premise .in fact the maker of this question has just copied this question from that original question ,making some cut and copy paste arrangement .
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 66

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 07:02
Expert's post
rajatr wrote:

Interesting debate on this one. In fact it should come down to either D or E, as the first three are assuredly true but don't compromise the conclusion, which is that the continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the extinction of this sub-species of shark. If we had to predict an answer without looking at the choices, the best way to weaken this conclusion is that we wouldn't be able to round up all the sharks to make soup... I mean drugs out of their cartilage.

Compare cats to a space-faring alien race called Alf. Maybe a wonderful drug can be made out of each, but which one is more at risk of extinction? There are millions of cats, a domesticated species that reproduces in captivity on Earth, but there is no way to get this alien Alf (except on Saturday morning reruns). It's conceivable that humans could eventually wipe out cats, even though they reproduce freely. It's almost impossible to conceive rendering a species we don't have access to on Melmac.

I'd go E on this one.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 32

Premium Member
Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 07:09
Quote:
This sub-species of shark generally lives in largely inaccessible waters.

now E by putting this way question the very basis that we wont be able to hunt them down .hence it is a weakener
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 9

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
my take is D

if the sub-species of shark will reproduce in captivity under the proper conditions
if the sub-species of the shark will reproduce in captivity then there is no need to catch all of them and this sub-species can grow in no.

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 9

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 13:19
This post received
KUDOS
as many of you are going for E i would say that the premise is saying that the drug is being prepared so the sub-species are accessible.

the best way to weaken the argument is D

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

Expert Post
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 2479 [0], given: 694

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 15:30
Expert's post
Expert Post

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 07:00
Expert's post
Sorry Guys :(

I love the spirit of cooperation among us but if the question will not share in 24 H I will close the topic.

I remember that the OA under the question is mandatory, based on the rules for posting in Verbal section (and of course in quant )

regards.

carcass

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 67

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 07:31
i think the answer must be undoubtedly be D....
Well for E, we need to assume that the shark catchers does not has instruments to catch the sahrk from inaccessible areas......which is too much to assume...
D is straight fwd....It says it has capability to reproduce under normal condition...that implies it can reproduce...hence weakens the thought it will get extinct

Archit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 08:45
I will go with D.
Reason is, the last line said "If follows, therefore, that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the extinction of this sub-species of shark". Doesn't that mean we have to assume that they already have access to sharks?
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 102 [2] , given: 85

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 00:57
This post received
KUDOS
According to a book where i finally found this question in it, the best answer is D

Explanation from the book : If the shark can be successfully bred in captivity, it is possible to continue production of the drug without threatning the shark with extinction.

Frankly, i'd say that this question is a bad one because the source is not Official, the correct answer seems not to be the most convincing one and the explanation is short and largely debatable.

Expert Post

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 02:05
Expert's post
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 67

Re: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types of [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 02:11
Rock750 wrote:
According to a book where i finally found this question in it, the best answer is D

Explanation from the book : If the shark can be successfully bred in captivity, it is possible to continue production of the drug without threatning the shark with extinction.

Frankly, i'd say that this question is a bad one because the source is not Official, the correct answer seems not to be the most convincing one and the explanation is short and largely debatable.

I outrightly disagree with your thoughts.
Just because you do not have an official version of the question, does not warrant that the question is not a good question.
Now, for the question above we have an official version.......Option D is dot on point ...and i do not think think that it can be challenged.
Well for the official version of the question.......Check the link below.
http://www.beatthegmat.com/ibora-t8151.html
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/a-d ... t3788.html
http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... -wild.html

Going through the explanation you will come to know why E is incorrect...
@carcass i think you must have gone through the question above....its an OG question......

Consider Kudos, If my post helps!!!

Archit
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2479 [1] , given: 694

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Instead I agree with rock. First of all if a question is similar then that doesn't mean to have the same answer.

moreover., even a little change in a word or punctuation can change the same completely or almost....

Problem like this are a waste of time

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Re: R: A drug that is highly effective in treating certain types   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 02:31