A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no : GMAT Problem Solving (PS)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 03 Dec 2016, 16:00
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 51

A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2012, 02:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (02:06) correct 75% (01:58) wrong based on 113 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no any two heads on consecutive tosses?

A. 21/64
B. 42/64
C. 19/64
D. 19/42
E. 31/64
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1243

Kudos [?]: 5617 [2] , given: 60

Re: A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
saikarthikreddy wrote:
A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no any two heads on consecutive tosses?
a.21/64
b.42/64
c.19/64
d.19/42
e.31/64

Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, question is considerably harder and more pain-in-the-tush than what you will see on the GMAT. I don't know the source, but this seems to come from some over-achieving source that wants to give students questions much harder than the test.

So this is a probability question that is best solved with counting. You may find this blog germane:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-quant-how-to-count/

Probability = (# of desired cases)/(total # of possible cases)

The denominator is very easy --- two possibilities for each toss, six tosses, so 2^6 = 64. That's the denominator.

For the numerator, we have to sort through cases:

Case One: six tails

For this case, obviously you can't have two heads in a row. There's only one way this can happen: TTTTTT
ONE

Case Two: five tails, one head
Again, it's impossible to have two heads in a row, because there's only one. There are six ways this could happen --- the H could occupy any of the six positions (HTTTTT, THTTTT, TTHTTT, TTTHTT, TTTTHT, and TTTTTH)
SIX

Case Three: four tails, two heads
This is the tricky case. There are 6C2 = 15 places that the two H's could land, but five of those (HHTTTT, THHTTT, TTHHTT, TTTHHT, and TTTTHH) involve the pair of H's together, which is forbidden. Excluding those five forbidden cases, we are left with 15 - 5 = 10 possibilities here.
TEN

Case Four: three tails, three heads
Now, things are starting to get crowded. We have to space our three H's out, with T's between them, so none of the H's touch. That leaves only two possibilities: HTHTHT and THTHTH. That's it: any other configuration would have two H's next to each other, which is forbidden.
TWO

Add those up: 1 + 6 + 10 + 2 = 19. That's our numerator.

Probability = 19/64
Answer = C

Does all that make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HSG '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
A
There are 64 possible outcomes.
- If no head => 1 outcome
- If we can only toss head once then there are 6 desired outcomes (eg: HTTTTT, THTTTT....)
- If we can toss head twice then there are \(\frac{6!}{2!*4!}-5 = 10\) desired outcomes.
- If we can toss head three times then there are 4 outcomes THTHTH, HTHTHT, HTTHTH, HTHTTH
- 4, 5, 6 times -> no outcome
=> Probability = \(\frac{21}{64}\)

Last edited by monsama on 24 Sep 2012, 22:02, edited 3 times in total.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HSG '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [4] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
mikemcgarry wrote:
saikarthikreddy wrote:
a.21/64
b.42/64
c.19/64
d.19/42
e.31/64

Case Four: three tails, three heads
Now, things are starting to get crowded. We have to space our three H's out, with T's between them, so none of the H's touch. That leaves only two possibilities: HTHTHT and THTHTH. That's it: any other configuration would have two H's next to each other, which is forbidden.
TWO

@mikemcgarry: in case 4, what about HTTHTH and HTHTTH => there are 4 possibilities :D
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 5617 [1] , given: 60

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MonSama wrote:
@mikemcgarry: in case 4, what about HTTHTH and HTHTTH => there are 4 possibilities :D

Very good! I stand corrected. The answer must be (A), as MonSama suggests.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 23:09
Thanks for the comprehensive solution to both Mike and Monsama .. Kudos for both of you !!

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2012, 00:24
This post received
KUDOS
All possibilities with no 2 H touching each other.
Attachments

solution mixture.jpg
solution mixture.jpg [ 24.64 KiB | Viewed 13083 times ]

Impossible is nothing to God.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 14:59
saikarthikreddy wrote:
a.21/64
b.42/64
c.19/64
d.19/42
e.31/64

I found a similar question in the link below
a-fair-coin-is-tossed-5-times-what-is-the-probability-of-99478.html

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 559

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2015, 04:26
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 139

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 05:39
Bunuel, is there any other way than counting method to solve this question ?

Thanks.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 5617 [3] , given: 60

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Swaroopdev wrote:
Bunuel, is there any other way than counting method to solve this question?

Thanks.

Dear Swaroopdev
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, a couple things to keep in mind. When Bunuel and the other experts show a solution to a problem, a relatively long and complicated solution, it's not as if we are making it complicated just for our own amusement. If there were a quick, easy, formulaic way to approach the problem, of course we would show that. In general, I would say that you can trust Bunuel and the other experts to show you the easiest, the most straightforward, and most efficient solution to any problem. Saying, "This solution looks hard. I don't like it. Can you show me an easier way?" is not the path that leads to excellence. The path that leads to excellence is all about challenging oneself to dive into what is most difficult and confusing. Assume that the path that Bunuel shows you is the optimal solution, and do your best to understand every last detail of it.

Also, there's something important thing to keep in mind about Counting and about Probability. Other branches of math, such as algebra, tend to be more formulaic and recipe based. If I give you a simple algebraic equation and ask you to solve for x, there's an easy recipe to follow. Counting and Probability are not primarily formula-based or recipe-based. Yes, there are a few formulas, but it is far from straightforward to know exactly when they can or can't be applied. Many Counting & Probability problems are about seeing the problem correct, interpreting the given information in a way that allows you to dissect the problem. Many students get into a "what should I do?" mode in problem solving, and with both Counting & Probability, it's important at the beginning of a problem to be not in the "what should I do?" mode, but in the "how do I look at this?" mode. When you are looking at the problem in the right way, what to do become obvious.

Here's a blog with a few challenging counting problems and more on the mindset you need to cultivate to be successful with these problems.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/difficult- ... -problems/

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1308 [1] , given: 786

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
Swaroopdev wrote:
Bunuel, is there any other way than counting method to solve this question?

Thanks.

Dear Swaroopdev
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, a couple things to keep in mind. When Bunuel and the other experts show a solution to a problem, a relatively long and complicated solution, it's not as if we are making it complicated just for our own amusement. If there were a quick, easy, formulaic way to approach the problem, of course we would show that. In general, I would say that you can trust Bunuel and the other experts to show you the easiest, the most straightforward, and most efficient solution to any problem. Saying, "This solution looks hard. I don't like it. Can you show me an easier way?" is not the path that leads to excellence. The path that leads to excellence is all about challenging oneself to dive into what is most difficult and confusing. Assume that the path that Bunuel shows you is the optimal solution, and do your best to understand every last detail of it.

Also, there's something important thing to keep in mind about Counting and about Probability. Other branches of math, such as algebra, tend to be more formulaic and recipe based. If I give you a simple algebraic equation and ask you to solve for x, there's an easy recipe to follow. Counting and Probability are not primarily formula-based or recipe-based. Yes, there are a few formulas, but it is far from straightforward to know exactly when they can or can't be applied. Many Counting & Probability problems are about seeing the problem correct, interpreting the given information in a way that allows you to dissect the problem. Many students get into a "what should I do?" mode in problem solving, and with both Counting & Probability, it's important at the beginning of a problem to be not in the "what should I do?" mode, but in the "how do I look at this?" mode. When you are looking at the problem in the right way, what to do become obvious.

Here's a blog with a few challenging counting problems and more on the mindset you need to cultivate to be successful with these problems.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/difficult- ... -problems/

Does all this make sense?

Excellent post, mikemcgarry

A big fan of your posts especially the one on different levels of "understanding". Keep them coming.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 139

A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 10:36
Hi mikemcgarry,

Thank you for your response. First off, i have read and learnt so much from all your posts both in verbal and quant, i really appreciate your time and effort for this too.

Also, i didn't mention this in my previous post but i didn't ask Bunuel for alternate solution just because i found other solutions as 'complicated or long or i wanted a short-cut method or solutions looks hard', i actually solved this question and arrived at the correct answer in the same way as you and others did.

The reason i asked for a alternate solution is because as we all know Bunuel and other experts too often come up with a solution which is completely different and less time consuming. That was exactly my reason behind asking for an alternate solution. Also the post was around 3 years old so was hoping if someone may have some new information on this.

Probability is one of the challenging topics for me, even though i was able to solve this problem i felt i took more time to solve it than that is necessary and i just wanted to improve on it by taking some help.

Thanks again for your advise and insights on facing problems like these. :)
A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2015, 10:36