Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [27]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [16]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [6]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [4]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
saikarthikreddy wrote:
A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no any two heads on consecutive tosses?
a.21/64
b.42/64
c.19/64
d.19/42
e.31/64

Case Four: three tails, three heads
Now, things are starting to get crowded. We have to space our three H's out, with T's between them, so none of the H's touch. That leaves only two possibilities: HTHTHT and THTHTH. That's it: any other configuration would have two H's next to each other, which is forbidden.
TWO

@mikemcgarry: in case 4, what about HTTHTH and HTHTTH => there are 4 possibilities :D
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Re: A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
MonSama wrote:
@mikemcgarry: in case 4, what about HTTHTH and HTHTTH => there are 4 possibilities :D

Very good! I stand corrected. The answer must be (A), as MonSama suggests.
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Thanks for the comprehensive solution to both Mike and Monsama .. Kudos for both of you !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
All possibilities with no 2 H touching each other.
Attachments

solution mixture.jpg
solution mixture.jpg [ 24.64 KiB | Viewed 60229 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
saikarthikreddy wrote:
A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no any two heads on consecutive tosses?
a.21/64
b.42/64
c.19/64
d.19/42
e.31/64

I found a similar question in the link below
a-fair-coin-is-tossed-5-times-what-is-the-probability-of-99478.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Bunuel, is there any other way than counting method to solve this question ?

Thanks.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Swaroopdev wrote:
Bunuel, is there any other way than counting method to solve this question?

Thanks.

Dear Swaroopdev
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, a couple things to keep in mind. When Bunuel and the other experts show a solution to a problem, a relatively long and complicated solution, it's not as if we are making it complicated just for our own amusement. If there were a quick, easy, formulaic way to approach the problem, of course we would show that. In general, I would say that you can trust Bunuel and the other experts to show you the easiest, the most straightforward, and most efficient solution to any problem. Saying, "This solution looks hard. I don't like it. Can you show me an easier way?" is not the path that leads to excellence. The path that leads to excellence is all about challenging oneself to dive into what is most difficult and confusing. Assume that the path that Bunuel shows you is the optimal solution, and do your best to understand every last detail of it.

Also, there's something important thing to keep in mind about Counting and about Probability. Other branches of math, such as algebra, tend to be more formulaic and recipe based. If I give you a simple algebraic equation and ask you to solve for x, there's an easy recipe to follow. Counting and Probability are not primarily formula-based or recipe-based. Yes, there are a few formulas, but it is far from straightforward to know exactly when they can or can't be applied. Many Counting & Probability problems are about seeing the problem correct, interpreting the given information in a way that allows you to dissect the problem. Many students get into a "what should I do?" mode in problem solving, and with both Counting & Probability, it's important at the beginning of a problem to be not in the "what should I do?" mode, but in the "how do I look at this?" mode. When you are looking at the problem in the right way, what to do become obvious.

Here's a blog with a few challenging counting problems and more on the mindset you need to cultivate to be successful with these problems.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/difficult- ... -problems/

Does all this make sense?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
Swaroopdev wrote:
Bunuel, is there any other way than counting method to solve this question?

Thanks.

Dear Swaroopdev
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, a couple things to keep in mind. When Bunuel and the other experts show a solution to a problem, a relatively long and complicated solution, it's not as if we are making it complicated just for our own amusement. If there were a quick, easy, formulaic way to approach the problem, of course we would show that. In general, I would say that you can trust Bunuel and the other experts to show you the easiest, the most straightforward, and most efficient solution to any problem. Saying, "This solution looks hard. I don't like it. Can you show me an easier way?" is not the path that leads to excellence. The path that leads to excellence is all about challenging oneself to dive into what is most difficult and confusing. Assume that the path that Bunuel shows you is the optimal solution, and do your best to understand every last detail of it.

Also, there's something important thing to keep in mind about Counting and about Probability. Other branches of math, such as algebra, tend to be more formulaic and recipe based. If I give you a simple algebraic equation and ask you to solve for x, there's an easy recipe to follow. Counting and Probability are not primarily formula-based or recipe-based. Yes, there are a few formulas, but it is far from straightforward to know exactly when they can or can't be applied. Many Counting & Probability problems are about seeing the problem correct, interpreting the given information in a way that allows you to dissect the problem. Many students get into a "what should I do?" mode in problem solving, and with both Counting & Probability, it's important at the beginning of a problem to be not in the "what should I do?" mode, but in the "how do I look at this?" mode. When you are looking at the problem in the right way, what to do become obvious.

Here's a blog with a few challenging counting problems and more on the mindset you need to cultivate to be successful with these problems.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/difficult- ... -problems/

Does all this make sense?

Excellent post, mikemcgarry

A big fan of your posts especially the one on different levels of "understanding". Keep them coming.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
A fair coin is tossed 6 times. What is the probability of getting no [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi mikemcgarry,

Thank you for your response. First off, i have read and learnt so much from all your posts both in verbal and quant, i really appreciate your time and effort for this too.

Also, i didn't mention this in my previous post but i didn't ask Bunuel for alternate solution just because i found other solutions as 'complicated or long or i wanted a short-cut method or solutions looks hard', i actually solved this question and arrived at the correct answer in the same way as you and others did.

The reason i asked for a alternate solution is because as we all know Bunuel and other experts too often come up with a solution which is completely different and less time consuming. That was exactly my reason behind asking for an alternate solution. Also the post was around 3 years old so was hoping if someone may have some new information on this.

Probability is one of the challenging topics for me, even though i was able to solve this problem i felt i took more time to solve it than that is necessary and i just wanted to improve on it by taking some help.

Thanks again for your advise and insights on facing problems like these. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Here is the method that I used.

1) Number of outcomes with 6T = 1
2) Number of outcomes with 5T +1H = 6!/5! = 6
3) Number of outcomes with 4T +2H = 6!/(4!*2!) = 15 [But this includes combinations where the 2Hs are together]
i.e. [HH] is placed in any of the spaces (_) in _T_T_T_T_
So, subtracting 5 from (3).
4) Number of outcomes with 3T +3H = 6!/(3!*3!) = 20 [Here again, we have to subtract combinations where the 2Hs are together]
i.e. [HH] is placed in any of the spaces (_) in {[_T_T_T_H], [_T_T_HT_], [_T_HT_T_], [_HT_T_T_]}. Realize I've removed one space (_) after the each H.
So, subtracting 4*4 = 16.
Above will take care of all combinations where 3Hs are together.

Total favourable combinations = 1+6+15-5+20-16 = 21
P = 21/64
A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
Send PM
saikarthikreddy wrote:

A. 21/64
B. 42/64
C. 19/64
D. 19/42
E. 31/64

can someone explain what a fair coin and "getting no any two heads" means?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618907 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
subaru2019 wrote:
saikarthikreddy wrote:

A. 21/64
B. 42/64
C. 19/64
D. 19/42
E. 31/64

can someone explain what a fair coin and "getting no any two heads" means?

A fair coin is the one with equal probabilities of heads and tails. So, a coin for which P(tail) = P(head) = 1/2. In contrast, a biased coin would be a coin for which P(tail) ≠ P(head), for example, a coin with P(tail) = 0.6 and P(head) = 0 .4.

The question asks, about the probability of cases for which two heads does not come one after another when we toss a coin 6 times.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts