Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 5

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 03:02
This post received
KUDOS
IMO -E.
Reasons:
Premise1: Famous Singer won lawsuit because Advertising firm used Imitation singer
Premise2: Famous Singers service costs more than Imitation Singers service
Premise3: Advertising Firms will stop using Imitation Singer
Conclusion: Advertising costs will go up.

The above conclusion can be derived only if Advertising firms will use the well-know songs renditions which are sung by famous/Imitation singers. So that is the assumption... and Hence E

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 03:58
aiming4mba wrote:
A famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an advertising firm for using another singer in a commercial to evoke the famous singer’s well-known rendition of a certain song. As a result of the lawsuit, advertising firms will stop using imitators in commercials. Therefore, advertising costs will rise, since famous singers’ services cost more than those of their imitators.
A singer won a lawsuit againist an advert firm
the firm used an imitator for a rendition of the singers song.
conclusion advert costs will rise
why? adverts will continue using famous songs. E

The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Most people are unable to distinguish a famous singer’s rendition of a song from a good
imitator’s rendition of the same song.
(B) Commercials using famous singers are usually more effective than commercials using
imitators of famous singers.
(C) The original versions of some well-known songs are unavailable for use in commercials.
(D) Advertising firms will continue to use imitators to mimic the physical mannerisms of famous singers.
(E) The advertising industry will use well-known renditions of songs in commercials.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 04:12
Thanks!

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.
http://aimingformba.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 05:30
E. If the advertising costs are going to increase because of using the original singers, the assumption is that the advertising agencies are going to use the well-known songs in their commercials.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top Taiwanese university

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 00:30
went with E to
its like the other question about IPR (even if the law stops people from downloading books on the internet, they won't necessarily go for real books)
they've assumed the advertising firms rely completely on famous singers' renditions of certain songs, so the answer has to be E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 04:15
E is defntly the one

B is an interesting option. Look what hapns when we negate B
Commercials using famous singers are not usually more effective than commercials using imitators of famous singers.-->the argument falls apart

B runs in close but E is better.

consider cudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
A famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 23:50
A famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an advertising firm for using another singer in a commercial to evoke the famous singer’s well-known rendition of a certain song. As a result of the lawsuit, advertising firms will stop using imitators in commercials. Therefore, advertising costs will rise, since famous singers’ services cost more than those of their imitators.
(A) Most people are unable to distinguish a famous singer’s rendition of a song from a good imitator’s rendition of the same song.
(B) Commercials using famous singers are usually more effective than commercials using imitators of famous singers.
(C) The original versions of some well-known songs are unavailable for use in commercials.
(D) Advertising firms will continue to use imitators to mimic the physical mannerisms of famous singers.
(E) The advertising industry will use well-known renditions of songs in commercials.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an advertising [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 01:55
Hi PUNEETSCHDV,

I suggest that you use the search feature to look for questions before you open a new thread to seek answers. I just checked the first page, and I realized it has been plastered all over with new threads from you. You are not likely to get responses for those threads, since the questions they contain have been answered multiple times on multiple threads.

Of course, the critical assumption that my reply is based on is that you are not merely trying to increase your post count in opening all those new threads :-)

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an advertising [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 02:05
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
(A) Most people are unable to distinguish a famous singer’s rendition of a song from a good imitator’s rendition of the same song.
(B) Commercials using famous singers are usually more effective than commercials using imitators of famous singers.

I was confused b/w B and E but finally gave in to E. I used negate method. Below is my explanation:
(A) Most people are unable to distinguish a famous singer’s rendition of a song from a good imitator’s rendition of the same song. --> This is not related to the conclusion. (B) Commercials using famous singers are usually more effective than commercials using imitators of famous singers. - Logiscally this assumption makes sense but it is not related to the conclusion of the passage. (C) The original versions of some well-known songs are unavailable for use in commercials. Not related or Out of scope(D) Advertising firms will continue to use imitators to mimic the physical mannerisms of famous singers. It actually breaks the conclusion(E) The advertising industry will use well-known renditions of songs in commercials. if this is not ture the argument itself is broken hence this is the answer

Please give kudos if you like my reply!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: famous singer [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 12:08
icandy wrote:
ConkergMat wrote:

Please explain your answers, especially the 2 contenders.

The only one that made sense is E.

Conc is "advertising costs will rise, since famous singers’ services cost more than those of their imitators"

Negate E

The advertising industry will NOT use well-known renditions of songs in commercials. If they do not use the well known renditions of songs, there is no guarantee that the cost of advertising will go up.

I have an issue with E - it says "(E) The advertising industry will use well-known renditions of songs in commercials."

First of all, I believe this is worded incorrectly; it should be "renditions of well-known songs". Secondly, the famous singers can still sue if they are imitating un-known songs by those famous singers. The copyright to the songs do still exist. Am I looking too much into this??? Anyone?
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 787

Re: A famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 07:26
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 103

A famous singer recently won a lawsuit against [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 03:33
I need to reverse the option (C) to understand the negation tech ..please help

Will it be
i) The original versions of none of the well-known songs are unavailable for use in commercials.
=> All the songs are available

ii) The original versions of some of the well-known songs are not unavailable for use in commercials.
=> Few well unknown songs are available

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Last edited by Zarrolou on 29 Jun 2013, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 294

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 21:34
Though my doubt might be silly, I want to ask what is wrong with (C).

OE:
C The lack of availability of some songs is not relevant to the rise in advertising costs.The same songs would not have been available even when production costs were lower

So, it is the above explanation which is 100% correct or it is the difference between rendition and song that plays some role.

Further to it,

I could say that if original versions of some well-known songs are available for use then advertising costs won't increase.

So what is the issue with the above.

(1). The use of 'some' and not 'all'.
(2). Usage of term 'song' and not 'rendition'.
(3). The one stated in OE as if this would have been the case then there was no logic of imitating the original artists, we could have used the available songs.

So all are the issues or only the one stated in OE?

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: A famous singer recently won a lawsuit against an   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2014, 21:34