Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which cont

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which cont [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 08:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (02:03) correct 43% (01:34) wrong based on 123 sessions
A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four people. If a project is to be assigned to a team of three people, none of which can be from the same department, what is the greatest number of distinct teams to which the project could be assigned?

(A) 4^3
(B) 4^4
(C) 4^5
(D) 6(4^4)
(E) 4(3^6)

Source: Jeff Sackmann's GMAT Extreme Challenge
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please kudos if my post helps.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: South Asian B-schools
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 09:08
my approach

4 Dept (I,II,III,IV) with 4 people in each dept.

To choose 1st team member = we have 16 options (4 dept x 4 people)
To choose 2nd member = we have 12 options (3 dept x 4 people)
To choose 3rd member = we have 8 options ( 2 dept x 4 people)

unique teams = 16 x 12 x 8...i don't know where i am wrong ..help me ...

:(

Bhushan S.
If you like my post....Consider it for Kudos :-D

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 246

Kudos [?]: 628 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
powerka wrote:
A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four people. If a project is to be assigned to a team of three
people, none of which can be from the same department, what is the greatest number of distinct teams to which the project could be assigned?
(A) 4^3
(B) 4^4
(C) 4^5
(D) 6(4^4)
(E) 4(3^6)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

First, we need to choose the three teams we'll take employees from. That's the same as choosing one team *not* to take an employee from, so we can choose our three teams in 4 ways. Then we have 4 choices for which employee we take from each of the three teams, so the answer is 4*4*4*4 = 4^4.

bhushan252 wrote:
my approach

You're assuming that there is a '1st team member', a '2nd team member' and a '3rd team member' - that is, you're assuming the order of the team members is somehow important. If the question asked in how many ways we might choose a President, Vice-President and Treasurer with the given restrictions, your answer would be correct. However, since the order of our 3 team members doesn't matter, you need to divide your answer by 3! = 6. That gives (16)(12)(8)/(6) = 16*2*8 = 2^8 = 4^4.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 19:24
IanStewart wrote:
powerka wrote:
A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four people. If a project is to be assigned to a team of three
people, none of which can be from the same department, what is the greatest number of distinct teams to which the project could be assigned?
(A) 4^3
(B) 4^4
(C) 4^5
(D) 6(4^4)
(E) 4(3^6)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

First, we need to choose the three teams we'll take employees from. That's the same as choosing one team *not* to take an employee from, so we can choose our three teams in 4 ways. Then we have 4 choices for which employee we take from each of the three teams, so the answer is 4*4*4*4 = 4^4.

bhushan252 wrote:
my approach

You're assuming that there is a '1st team member', a '2nd team member' and a '3rd team member' - that is, you're assuming the order of the team members is somehow important. If the question asked in how many ways we might choose a President, Vice-President and Treasurer with the given restrictions, your answer would be correct. However, since the order of our 3 team members doesn't matter, you need to divide your answer by 3! = 6. That gives (16)(12)(8)/(6) = 16*2*8 = 2^8 = 4^4.

Perfect explanation, thank you.

My approach was 4*4*4*4 = 4^4.

Please kudos if my post helps.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 19:16
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is 4^4

Solution:
Each department has 4 people and we must select 1 person from each department: 4C1

There are 4 departments and we must form team of 3 people and no two person in the team must be from the same department: 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C0

Number of ways it can be arranged: 4

4*(4C1 * 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C0) = 4*4^3 = 4^4

Cheers
/Milap
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 15:56
@bhushan252
YOu calcualted the permutation, in which we consider a team (r, s, d) and (d,s,r) different. However they are same when it comes about selecting people.
SO divide you permutation result by r!
Permutation: n!/(n-r)!
Combintaiton: permutation/r!
so your result that is 16 x 12 x 8 divided by 3! is the answer that is 4^4 (B).
Cheers!

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 04:30
Guys, I got the right answer, but i am not sure if my approach is right. Lets say we have only 3 groups from which we have to pick one person from each group. The the number of combinations would be 4*4*4. Now, since we have 4 groups and we need to pick three at a time, the number of ways we can do this is 4C1=4. Hence total number of ways u can pick 3 people (1 person from each grp) from four groups is 4 (4*4*4) = 4 ^ 4.

What if we had six grps, wud the answer be 6C3 * 4*4 *4 ? GMAT experts, please help.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3233

Kudos [?]: 22230 [1] , given: 2601

Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
anandnat wrote:
Guys, I got the right answer, but i am not sure if my approach is right. Lets say we have only 3 groups from which we have to pick one person from each group. The the number of combinations would be 4*4*4. Now, since we have 4 groups and we need to pick three at a time, the number of ways we can do this is 4C1=4. Hence total number of ways u can pick 3 people (1 person from each grp) from four groups is 4 (4*4*4) = 4 ^ 4.

What if we had six grps, wud the answer be 6C3 * 4*4 *4 ? GMAT experts, please help.

Correct. If there were 6 departments then: C^3_6 # of ways to choose which 3 department will provide employee for the team and as each chosen department can provide with 4 employees then total # of different teams will be C^3_6*4*4*4=5*4^4.

A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which contains four people. If a project is to be assigned to a team of three people, none of which can be from the same department, what is the greatest number of distinct teams to which the project could be assigned?
(A) 4^3
(B) 4^4
(C) 4^5
(D) 6(4^4)
(E) 4(3^6)

The same approach for the original question: C^3_4 # of ways to choose which 3 department will provide employee for the team and as each chosen department can provide with 4 employees then total # of different teams will be C^3_4*4*4*4=4^4.

Answer: B.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Texas at Austin, Michigan State
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 20:03
First, when I read other peoples posted answers I think either I am thinking way too much here....or other people are not writing out all the steps.

The way I approached this problems is first I found the number of possible teams.

Since we have no replacements and order is not important I know it is combination

C^n_k

I have 16 people to choose from and I will only pick 3 of them

C^{16}_3

To add the condition no 2 people from the same department.

First Pick
Anyone

Second Pick
Any of 12, out of the remaining 15 = \frac{12}{15}

Third Pick
Any of 8, out of 14 remaining = \frac{8}{14}

So my total final equation to solve was C^{16}_3*\frac{16}{16}*\frac{12}{15}*\frac{8}{14}

I end up with the correct answer, but am I doing something wrong?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 06:02
I'm trying to solve the problem using reverse combination approach.Please,Can anyone help.

Need to choose 3 people from 16 so 16C3.

No. of ways to choose 3 people from the same team 4C3.since there are four teams (4C3)^4

16C3 - (4C3)^4

=560-256

=304
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 873 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
klueless7825 wrote:
I'm trying to solve the problem using reverse combination approach.Please,Can anyone help.

Need to choose 3 people from 16 so 16C3.

No. of ways to choose 3 people from the same team 4C3.since there are four teams (4C3)^4

16C3 - (4C3)^4

=560-256

=304

First of all, this approach is complicated, convoluted and error prone. I'd go by Bunuel's explanation. Different permutation and combination problems are done using different methods. You just need to pick the most apt one for a specific type.

Anyway,

This is not entirely correct.
Number of ways to choose 3 people from the same team: 4C3. Correct
There are four teams: (4C3)^4. Not correct.

Remember, here you need to add the numbers not multiply because you choose from 1 OR choose from 2 OR choose from 3 OR choose from 4.

Secondly, you have missed out another case in which just 1 candidate is picked from 1 team AND 2 candidates are picked from another team. Because, that will also be the NOT one candidate from each team.

So, actual answer could be arrived by this:
Total=C^{16}_{3}=560

Picking all 3 candidates from just one team:
C^4_1*C^4_3=16
OR(i.e. +)
Picking 2 candidates from one team AND picking 1 candidate from one of the remaining teams
C^4_1*C^4_2*C^3_1*C^4_1=288

Total number of ways in which 1 candidate is NOT picked from each team
16+288=304

Now, to find the left-overs just subtract from total:
560-304=256=4^4

Ans: "B"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:52
Thanks a lot for explaining the reverse combination approach.It helped me to understand combinations better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 23:58
milapshah wrote:
Answer is 4^4

Solution:
Each department has 4 people and we must select 1 person from each department: 4C1

There are 4 departments and we must form team of 3 people and no two person in the team must be from the same department: 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C0

Number of ways it can be arranged: 4

4*(4C1 * 4C1 * 4C1 * 4C0) = 4*4^3 = 4^4

Cheers
/Milap

I didnt get it. 4C1=4!/1*(4-1)!=4!/3! I mean 4C1 doesnt equal to 4
or I missed smth?

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Combinations Problem - Extreme Challenge - A firm is ... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 00:33
Bunuel wrote:
anandnat wrote:

Correct. If there were 6 departments then: C^3_6 # of ways to choose which 3 department will provide employee for the team and as each chosen department can provide with 4 employees then total # of different teams will be C^3_6*4*4*4=5*4^4.

(A) 4^3
(B) 4^4
(C) 4^5
(D) 6(4^4)
(E) 4(3^6)

The same approach for the original question: C^3_4 # of ways to choose which 3 department will provide employee for the team and as each chosen department can provide with 4 employees then total # of different teams will be C^3_4*4*4*4=4^4.

Answer: C.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Bunuel for the clear explanation. I got it.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 162

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which cont [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 05:23
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Re: A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which cont [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 07:12
This is the method that I followed.

Method 1:

You need to fill in three spots

_ x _ x _

from these guys
Group-1
(a,b,c,d)
Group-2
(e,f,g,h)
Group-3
(i,j,k,l)
Group-4
(m,n,o,p)

Since each member of the final 3 member group must be different, you choose one from each group (group-1,2,3 or 4). Now you have a choice of 4 people to select from, so for the group-1

4 x _ x _

group-2 again gives you four choices, so

4 x 4 x _

group-3 again gives you four choices

4 x 4 x 4

The same can be done using different combo of 4 groups. That combo is equal to 4C3 which is again equal to 4. Multiply that as well

4x4x4x4 = 4 ^ 4
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which cont [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:00
powerka wrote:

(A) 4^3
(B) 4^4
(C) 4^5
(D) 6(4^4)
(E) 4(3^6)

We have four departments with 4 people in each

Now we need to pick 3 people of different departments, let's do it step by step

First, pick 3 departments among 4 different options
Hence 4C3 = 4

Now, pick between for people in each department
Hence, total combo is 4*4*4

Finally we then have 4^4 for total available options

B is the best choice here

Hope it helps!
Cheers!
J :)

PS. Does anybody have some more questions from Source: Jeff Sackmann's GMAT Extreme Challenge?

Will provide Kudos if you willl
Re: A …firm is divided into four departments, each of which cont   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2013, 07:00