Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A firm that specializes in the analysis of handwriting claim

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

A firm that specializes in the analysis of handwriting claim [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 05:57
I have a question on the following 122 no: question of OG13;

A firm that specializes in the analysis of handwriting claims from a one page writing sample that it can assess more than three hundred personality triats.
A. from a one page writing sample that it can assess
B. from a one page writing sample it has the ability of assessing
C. the ability, from a one page writing sample, of assessing
D. to be able, from a one page writing sample, to assess
E. being able to assess, from a one page writing sample,

I have reached to the correct answer through E GMAT 3 step approach.

A firm
that specializes in the analysis of handwriting claims from a one page writing sample
that it can assess more than three hundred personality triats.

Here meaning is clear that 'it' refers to "firm", but there is an ambiguity that 'it' may also refer to analysis , handwritting, one-page writing sample.

1st error: Here, i concluded that there is a pronoun error because 'it' has more than antecedent, which are ; analysis, one page writing sample and firm -- all can be logically fit and can distort the meaning of sentence.
2nd error: This question looks to be having one another error i.e subjunctive clause claim... that, it was not clear to me that between claims and that, .. can this phrase fit (from a one page writing sample)..

Also in my understanding 'claim' could be a word which can be used both with 'that' and with 'to'

In POE, B, C & E choices were eliminated due to neither 'to' nor 'that' is mentioned.
At the end only two choices left and that are A&D.

Here A has pronoun error and sense of claims from is not understood, as phrase 'from a one page writing sample' after claim is making unclear the intended meaning.

So, D is the answer.. Claims to assess ('to' is used and pronoun is eliminated).

In OG explanation, pronoun error is not at all discussed in A. Can you please confirm on my approach and detection of pronoun error.

Many times i get confuse from pronoun errors, so want to be fully confirmed,

Thanks!
Anurag
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Research (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Re: A firm that specializes in the analysis of handwriting claim [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 06:31
hi,

Here is how I approached the answer:

A firm that specializes in the analysis of handwriting claims from a one page writing sample that it can assess more than three hundred personality triats.
A. from a one page writing sample that it can assess
B. from a one page writing sample it has the ability of assessing
C. the ability, from a one page writing sample, of assessing
D. to be able, from a one page writing sample, to assess
E. being able to assess, from a one page writing sample,

For B&C : the correct idiom is "ability to" . so eliminate both
For E : being is not correct here.

This leave us to A&D.
Regarding A : "it" is ambiguous. refers to firm to or handwriting ?
This leaves us with D, which is your answer.

Please press KUDOS button on the left, if my post was of help..

Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3665 [0], given: 185

Re: A firm that specializes in the analysis of handwriting claim [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 11:13
Expert's post
Hi Anurag,

Thanks for posting your query here, as suggested. :-)

There is actually no pronoun error in the original sentence; the only error is the placement of the prepositional phrase beginning with ‘from’. When a pronoun begins a clause, it usually refers to the subject of the previous clause, even if there are other nouns in between; there is no ambiguity in such a case. Here, the pronoun ‘it’ refers to the subject of the first clause, ‘a firm’.

I hope this helps with your doubt! :-)

Regards,
Meghna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: A firm that specializes in the analysis of handwriting claim   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2013, 11:13