Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A football team recently finished its fall season of 12

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

A football team recently finished its fall season of 12 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 21:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

46% (02:16) correct 54% (00:57) wrong based on 80 sessions
A football team recently finished its fall season of 12 games. The team scored an average of 10 more points per game in the 6 games it played in its home stadium than it did in those games played in opponents' stadiums. Clearly, the support of the team's fans provided the team with a psychological lift, leading to better score performance.
36. Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt upon the argument above? A. The team's fans were unhappy at times with the team's performance and occasionally booed the team.
B. The team's running back, its top scorer, scored more points in the opponents' stadiums than he did in the team's own stadium.
C. The field at the team's home stadium is unique in that the middle of the field is raised and the edges lowered, suiting the team's offensive system.
D. The team's head coach implored fans to support the team, stating that fan support helped the team perform well.
E. The team scored an average of only 24 points per game in its own stadium, ranking in the bottom quartile of scores for all teams.

Source Kaplan Test.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 0

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
A football team recently finished its fall season of 12 games. The team scored an average of 10 more points per game in the 6 games it played in its home stadium than it did in those games played in opponents' stadiums. Clearly, the support of the team's fans provided the team with a psychological lift, leading to better score performance.
36. Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt upon the argument above?
A. The team's fans were unhappy at times with the team's performance and occasionally booed the team. this statement talk of something which was not often but occasionally, therefore doesn't weaken then argument
B. The team's running back, its top scorer, scored more points in the opponents' stadiums than he did in the team's own stadium.
C. The field at the team's home stadium is unique in that the middle of the field is raised and the edges lowered, suiting the team's offensive system. since we are comparing team's performance at home stadium and offensive's stadium...so actually we are looking for the reason that did the team scored more at its home stadium than at offensive's stadium....only C is the option with states the reason. Although this option can confuse that the shape of the team favors both the teams but we are not comparing two teams...we are looking for a reason that why the team score more at home stadium.....so C is correct
D. The team's head coach implored fans to support the team, stating that fan support helped the team perform well.
E. The team scored an average of only 24 points per game in its own stadium, ranking in the bottom quartile of scores for all teams.

Source Kaplan Test.

Please correct me if I am wrong
What is the OA

Aim 720+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 12

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 22:05
A. The team's fans were unhappy at times with the team's performance and occasionally booed the team. At times, may be- but that doesnt mean they were not overall happy -or mor often happy than unhappy - and that could have still led to better performance because of audience motivation
B. The team's running back, its top scorer, scored more points in the opponents' stadiums than he did in the team's own stadium. : There is no point talking of an individual amongst the group - since teh argument is about the team as a whole. even is the running back behaves differently, that is no reason why tha argument itself is wrong
C. The field at the team's home stadium is unique in that the middle of the field is raised and the edges lowered, suiting the team's offensive system. Correct option -provides an alternate explanation why the team could have performed better in homeground- the field itself supports it and it is not to do with audience motivation
D. The team's head coach implored fans to support the team, stating that fan support helped the team perform well. That doesnt weaken - in fact it sort of admits that the support of audience is what made the team perform better
E. The team scored an average of only 24 points per game in its own stadium, ranking in the bottom quartile of scores for all teams.That might be true, but that still may mean that the team still performed better than itself (as in comapred to its performance in outside fields
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 00:33
BlueRobin wrote:
A football team recently finished its fall season of 12 games. The team scored an average of 10 more points per game in the 6 games it played in its home stadium than it did in those games played in opponents' stadiums. Clearly, the support of the team's fans provided the team with a psychological lift, leading to better score performance. 36. Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt upon the argument above? A. The team's fans were unhappy at times with the team's performance and occasionally booed the team.
C. The field at the team's home stadium is unique in that the middle of the field is raised and the edges lowered, suiting the team's offensive system.

Source Kaplan Test.

Option A , hits the conclusion and hence significantly weakens it. All other options are not hitting the conculsion.

I will go with A. what is the OA?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 18:33
C for me. C gives an alternate cause of higher average.

A is wrong because it uses : "at times".

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 20

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 18:37
C weakens the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 18:46
Its only 'C' which gives the alternate cause of the result (The team scored an average of 10 more points per game in the 6 games it played in its home stadium)

Explanation Given in the Stem :
the support of the team's fans provided the team with a psychological lift

Best answer choice should have given an alternate explanation & thats what C does by saying
"Teams performance was better because the ground was curated as per teams strengths"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 18:47
c.+1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 06:04
I go with C. C shows that the team won because of field conditions, not because of fans' support.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 07:01
C for me as well.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 10:51
Its definately C as it provides another reason for team to score more points.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:22
C for me
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 06:29
IMO with C

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 08:03
+1 C
Example of causal argument

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 09:34
Expert's post
how could the team score high on a stadium which may support both the teams as well.....consider a game of cricket and prior to the match if it is said that the pitch may support the fast bowlers, then it wont happen that the pitch is going to support the fast bowlers of the home team only..it will support the fast bowlers of both the teams...
i will go with b..

plz correct me if i am wrong

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 09:51
siddharthasingh wrote:
how could the team score high on a stadium which may support both the teams as well.....consider a game of cricket and prior to the match if it is said that the pitch may support the fast bowlers, then it wont happen that the pitch is going to support the fast bowlers of the home team only..it will support the fast bowlers of both the teams...
i will go with b..

The score comparision is not between two different team...its same team playing at two diff location...
for eg...
avg score at offensive's stadium = 6
avg score at home ground because of slopy ground = 12
avg score of offensive team at stadium 1 = 14
avg score of offensive team at stadium 2 = 16

Although at both the stadium the avg score of offensive team is higher but that irrelevant to us.....what we have look for is the reason that why our team's score is higher at home ground...is it crowd support or ground slope.....

I hope this makes it clear
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 376

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 09:58
siddharthasingh wrote:
i will go with b..

C makes more sense because it is mentioned that home team has a good offensive side and the stadium was supporting offensive side. The other teams may just be good in their defenses and may have relatively weaker offensive side. C is just giving us a reason to doubt the conclusion that says the extra scoring might NOT be due to the fans' support, but rather due to the concordance of the shape of the field with the team's offensive side.

B, on other hand, gives us a fact that has no effect on the conclusion. B says that the team's top-scorer scored most runs in opponents ground. How does it weaken the conclusion that fans' support added to a better scoring in the home ground.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 10:24
Expert's post
fluke wrote:
siddharthasingh wrote:
i will go with b..

C makes more sense because it is mentioned that home team has a good offensive side and the stadium was supporting offensive side. The other teams may just be good in their defenses and may have relatively weaker offensive side. C is just giving us a reason to doubt the conclusion that says the extra scoring might NOT be due to the fans' support, but rather due to the concordance of the shape of the field with the team's offensive side.

B, on other hand, gives us a fact that has no effect on the conclusion. B says that the team's top-scorer scored most runs in opponents ground. How does it weaken the conclusion that fans' support added to a better scoring in the home ground.

Ans: "C"

yeah its given that home team has a good offensive side, but does that mean that the home team has is the better offensive side against all teams at their home ground...no it doesn't...
regarding option B; i am in favour of this option because this option mentions that the top scorer scores better at the home ground, which is an alternate proponent, and thus weakens the conclusion.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 10:27
Expert's post
got my mistake, option argues about opponent's stadium rather than home stadium, which is meaningless, considering the arguement..
but yet not convinced about C..

Rules For Posting

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: football stadium [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 01:35
C for me
Re: football stadium   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2011, 01:35