Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A furniture manufacturer has two machines, but only one can

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 23

Re: PS: Furniture Manufacturer (m06q21) [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 05:40
Bunuel wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
A furniture manufacturer has two machines, but only one can be used at a time. Machine A is utilized during the first shift and Machine B during the second shift, while both work half of the third shift. If Machine A can do the job in 12 days working two shifts and Machine B can do the job in 15 days working two shifts, how many days will it take to do the job with the current work schedule?

(A) 14
(B) 13
(C) 11
(D) 9
(E) 7

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
D

Source: GMAT Club Tests - hardest GMAT questions

Kindly explain it.

Machine A needs 12 days * 2 shifts = 24 shifts to do the whole job;
Machine B needs 15 days * 2 shifts = 30 shifts to do the whole job;

In one day each machine works 1.5 shifts (3/2 shifts), and together, in one day, they are doing (3/2)/24+(3/2)/30=9/80 th of the whole, thus with the current work schedule they'll need 80/9=~9 days to do the whole job.

Answer: D.

I am still a little confused with this question . I came across this on GMAT club test today.
How can we say that in one day , there are three shifts i.e first shift , second shift and third shift ? Cos it first says that , machine A takes 12 days to complete the job working 2 whole shifts . Here , you take it to mean that two shifts comprise of one day. But when the question stem says "Machine A is utilized during the first shift and Machine B during the second shift, while both work half of the third shift" , you are assuming , one day to comprise of - first shift , second shift and half of third shift .
I do not know what is it that I am missing out here . Appreciate if you can revert on this.

Thanks,
Jyothi
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GPA: 3.4
WE: Other (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A furniture manufacturer has two machines, but only one can [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 09:15
Machine A can complete the job in 24 days working one shift
Rate = 1/24 per shift

Machine B can complete the job in 30 days working one shift
Rate = 1/30 per shift

The question says they each work 1.5 shifts per day. I thought of it as them working together for 1.5 shifts.
Rate A + Rate B = 5/120 + 4/120 = 9/120
Rate A+B*1.5 shifts per day = 9/120 * 3/2 = 9/80 of the job is completed per day

Therefore, the job is completed on the 9th day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 36

Re: PS: Furniture Manufacturer (m06q21) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 06:28
That's elegant. Nice.

isst80 wrote:
Alternative method.
If we rewrite the RTD question in terms of "shifts" it is easier to understand.

In terms of Shifts where there are 2 shifts/day:
Rate x Shifts = Work
1/24 x 24 shifts = 1
1/30 x 30 shifts = 1

Now rewrite the eqs in terms of days, assuming one machine works the ENTIRE day:
Rate x Days = Work
1/8 x 8 = 1
1/10 x 10 = 1

Since the shifts during a day is shared between A and B equally we know that the rate must be somewhere between 8 days and 10 days. Therefore the answer is 9.
Re: PS: Furniture Manufacturer (m06q21)   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 06:28