Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A GMAT debrief from Latin America. 760 (Q:50, V:42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

A GMAT debrief from Latin America. 760 (Q:50, V:42) [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everybody,
I just got through the GMAT, and I am very happy with my score. 760 was really a high target for me, considering I am not a native english speaker (I live in Argentina).
I dont want to bore you with the details. There are a lot of stories out there that will help you in your preparation. I am just going to leave a few observations that I made along the way, and that will probably help you as well.

1) Sentence Correction: Don´t start doing random practice without learning the theory. I did that and lost time. When I first read Manhattan SC, it blew my mind. Many of the concepts that were very hard for me to understand through practices were put in the form of rules in this book. It really changed the game for me. After this, i became confident in SC.
2) For all the other sections (CR, RC, DS, PS), one tip: just practice!. Dont practice with CATs, practice by doing the same sections repeatedly, save the CATs for the end.
3) Have a timing strategy! I ended up with 15 min left on quant. I really thought I had screwed up, since the last questions were really easy. I didnt have any training in calculating time remaining, and did it all in a hurry. I went well, but it could have been another story without the luck.
4) DS: trust your intuitions. If you are good at math, DS can be really intuitive. If you have to run with the time, save it in the DS. I think what made me go so fast in the test was I did 5-6 DS questions in timings like <30s

I think thats all! best of luck for all preparing. Ask me any questions you want!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 247

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A GMAT debrief from Latin America. 760 (Q:50, V:42) [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 05:02
Hey ggallicc,

Wonderful score! Congratulations!

Can you just quickly elaborate what materials do you used and, especially, if you found the MGMAT Advanced sections of their guides to be helpful or rather ambiguous (e.g. the advenced section of the SC guide)?
What questions/tests did you use and when? Did you use OG questions in the same time as the MGMAT strategy guides (chapterwise) or did you save them for the time when all guides were completed?

Thanks!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: A GMAT debrief from Latin America. 760 (Q:50, V:42) [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
bgpower wrote:
Hey ggallicc,

Wonderful score! Congratulations!

Can you just quickly elaborate what materials do you used and, especially, if you found the MGMAT Advanced sections of their guides to be helpful or rather ambiguous (e.g. the advenced section of the SC guide)?
What questions/tests did you use and when? Did you use OG questions in the same time as the MGMAT strategy guides (chapterwise) or did you save them for the time when all guides were completed?

Thanks!

Here is a list of resources/CATs I used
1) Official Guide: The first thing I did. Did all SC, and roughly the last 50 questions in all the other sections.
2) Official Guide Verbal Review: did it all
3) Kaplan 800: did it all
3) Bought 400 questions from GMAT PREP (pack1). Did all of SC, all IR (still waiting for my score), and some of the others.
4)1000 Sentence Correction...did like 60 of them, checked all the explanations in blogs..
5)MGMAT CATs..did 3 of them: scored 710(2 months ago), 720 (2 months ago) and 780 (1 week ago)
6)GMAT PREP1: scored 760 (2 weeks ago)
7)GMAT PREP2: scored 770 (1 week ago)
8) Bought the MGMAT simulation booklet! Sounds crazy, but it kind of help to control the stress of the exam. Since i had inherited most of the books, i thought i could give myself the luxury. (I had it shipped to argentina, crazy..)
Ex-post: Almost forgot to mention MGMAT sentence correction guide, great help

I have a very strong math backgroud (industrial engeneering), so i put most my energy in verbal. Once I gave the GMATPREPs I realised I was ready.
To answer your questions:
1)I didnt go through MGMAT advanced questions. I did found the MGMAT CATs to be harder than the real thing. The quant was much longer (probably what made me hurry more than i had to in the exam). The verbal was kind of confusing. Anyway, it is very good material. The best thing to do is GMATPREP. Has a great correlation with real gmat.
2) OG i went through them without much knowledge. THe only theory i learned was fromm MGMAT SC, and some from Kaplan 800. I applied that theory in the 1000 SC, and thought it was ok. I didnt revise the OG after it...I dont understand what you mean by strategy guides, I think I never saw them.

Best regards
Re: A GMAT debrief from Latin America. 760 (Q:50, V:42)   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2013, 06:05