Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A government agency that reimburses its clients for bills

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 206 [1] , given: 974

GMAT Tests User
A government agency that reimburses its clients for bills [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:16) correct 32% (01:34) wrong based on 126 sessions
A government agency that reimburses its clients for bills they have paid for child care has had this year’s budget cut. To save money without cutting reimbursements or otherwise harming clients financially, it plans to delay reimbursements to clients for forty days, thereby earning 180 million per year in interest on the reimbursement money.

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the agency’s plan?

(A) Daycares typically hold parents responsible for the ultimate payment of their bills.
(B) The agency cannot save money by cutting staff because it is already understaffed.
(C) Some clients borrow money to pay their daycare bills and they will pay forty extra days of interest on these loans.
(D) Some clients pay their daycare bills immediately, but they often taken more than forty days to file with the agency for reimbursement.
(E) The agency’s budget was cut by more than $180 million last year.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: harming clients financially [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 02:09
IMO C.
Critic will most try to find a flaw here.

Since agency claims that delaying reimbursements will help the agency earn money, claim C says the reverse.
Interest means extra charge. Lets say, if a person actually had to pay 100$, due to the interest, he will now claim for (100$+interest amount say 10$ = 110$) thus more money will be claimed. Hence this is the best argument against the agency's claim.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: harming clients financially [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 09:31
IMO C
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 301 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: harming clients financially [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 11:57
+1 c 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 681 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: harming clients financially [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 15:07
feruz77 wrote:
A government agency that reimburses its clients for bills they have paid for child care has had this year’s budget cut. To save money without cutting reimbursements or otherwise harming clients financially, it plans to delay reimbursements to clients for forty days, thereby earning 180 million per year in interest on the reimbursement money.

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the agency’s plan?

(A) Daycares typically hold parents responsible for the ultimate payment of their bills.
(B) The agency cannot save money by cutting staff because it is already understaffed.
(C) Some clients borrow money to pay their daycare bills and they will pay forty extra days of interest on these loans.
(D) Some clients pay their daycare bills immediately, but they often taken more than forty days to file with the agency for reimbursement.
(E) The agency’s budget was cut by more than $180 million last year.

The answer is C because of the portion I've highlighted above. If C is true, the plan *will* harm clients financially, so the plan will not achieve one of its goals.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: harming clients financially [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 12:20
I understand why C is correct. It was my first choice..

But I don't understand why E is wrong!! If the budget is cut by more than 180 million, the plan will not work anyway..no?

Please help!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: harming clients financially [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 07:39
C +1

Gonna make it this time

1 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: harming clients financially [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
@maive, it's great that C was your first choice and that you got this one correct! The problem with E is that it doesn't have any to do with causing financial harm to clients.

We're specifically told in the argument that the purpose of the plan is to avoid cutting reimbursements or harming clients financially. Even if the budget was cut by more than $180 million last year (the amount that they expect to earn back in interest with the new plan), there are still other things the agency could to save money without harming clients financially (cut employee salaries, move into cheaper office space, etc.)

Only answer choice C states that the forty-day delay will cause financial harm to some clients, so that's the best criticism of the plan.

Hope that helps!

Jen Rugani
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: harming clients financially [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 04:34
Quote:
maive:- But I don't understand why E is wrong!! If the budget is cut by more than 180 million, the plan will not work anyway..no?

I believe this is since E is not dampening the main concerns. The stated main concerns are- not to harm clients financially and cost cutting.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-31-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: A government agency that reimburses its clients for bills [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 21:01
How can we assume that the government will pay for the interest (as per option C) when the premise states "A government agency that reimburses its clients for bills they have paid for child care". It says only bills not about the interest on the another loan taken in the mean time.

Please help me to understand this
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: A government agency that reimburses its clients for bills [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 05:57
email2vm

you have not understood option "c'' correctly........
what it means is as follows....

- I incur $1000 on medical expenses and take a loan for payment of same.......
- After 40 days i am reimbursed $ 1000 by the government agency.....which i use to repay my loan... but the borrower asks for $ 1100 (loan amount + interest on loan)
- I have to pay additional $ 100 from my pocket.....hence the argument that no affect of the new system accrues on the me ( ie citizen) is incorrect.....

HENCE "C" CORRECT....

Kudos if you please...............
Re: A government agency that reimburses its clients for bills   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2014, 05:57