Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 19:48
19. A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Therefore, the citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.
Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:
(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T.
(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.
(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T.
(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.
(E) The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.

Now going by the rules, anything which strengthens the argument/conclusion or brings new information that invalidates the argument/conclusion or invalidates the reasoning on the basis of argument/conclusion is built, will ultimately weaken the argument.
The conclusion which I'm able to interpret is - Because the no. of newspaper sold in town S is more than that in town T, the citizens of town S are better informed.

Accordingly , I believe B is the answer.

B. Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there. ==> This seems to weaken the conclusion by stating that although newspaper sold in town S are more, but the majority of readers belong to town T . which implies citizens of town T must b better informed.

In the posts I read people marking A and C as well , which has confused me

Please correct me if I'm wrong about B.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Need Response this simple CR question [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 20:36
but the ques is asking what does either strengthen the conclusion OR has no impact on the conclusion NOT weaken..."everything weakens EXCEPT"

E should be the answer here because the avg cost of S and T is compared which ideally has no correlation with how well informed town T's people are. Also if newspaper is cheaper in town S than town T that supports premise that more newspaper are sold in S BUT not that town T people will be less informed about world events because they could well buy the newspaper from town S.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Need Response this simple CR question [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 21:02
In this question strengthening of the conclusion is required.
B directly weakens the conclusion by stating that Town T people buy their newspaper in Town S.
E strengthens the conclusion by stating that as newspaper price is low in town S,people buy more news paper there as compared to Town T and consecutively have better knowledge.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Response this simple CR question [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 21:34
Hey..thanks for the reply..I always end up getting confused when a question asks "all the following Weakens..except"...I always miss the word "except"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 36

Re: Need Response this simple CR question [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 22:31
gbisnik wrote:
19. A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Therefore, the citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.
Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:
(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T.
(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.
(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T.
(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.
(E) The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.

Now going by the rules, anything which strengthens the argument/conclusion or brings new information that invalidates the argument/conclusion or invalidates the reasoning on the basis of argument/conclusion is built, will ultimately weaken the argument.
The conclusion which I'm able to interpret is - Because the no. of newspaper sold in town S is more than that in town T, the citizens of town S are better informed.

Accordingly , I believe B is the answer.

B. Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there. ==> This seems to weaken the conclusion by stating that although newspaper sold in town S are more, but the majority of readers belong to town T . which implies citizens of town T must b better informed.

In the posts I read people marking A and C as well , which has confused me

Please correct me if I'm wrong about B.

Each of the following weakens the conclusion EXCEPT, this does not mean the correct answer has to STRENGTHEN the conclusion.

The conclusion is that there are more newspapers sold in S and hence a larger population is reading newspapers and must be well informed.

A - Weakens the conclusion. If S has a larger population, more newspapers are sold there. Same proportion of people might be buying newspapers and hence similarly well-informed. Say, S population is 1000, and 20% read newspapers. 200 newspapers are sold. Town T population is 100 and 20% of its population reads newspapers. Only 20 are sold. So 200>20 doesn't mean S is better informed than T.

B - This possibly means that lot of newspapers sold in town S are actually bought by town T people. At best town T people read more newspapers and are better informed. At worst, they read the equal number of newspapers. Weakens the conclusion.

C - Say, the population is same. People of town S buy lot of newspapers but never read. This attacks the assumption that anybody who buys a newspaper reads it. Weakens the argument.

D - A weekly local newspaper is in S. That means some of the total newspaper sales in S comes from this local newspaper that doesn't inform citizens about world affairs. At best, town S people are similarly informed about world events as town T and at worst they are less informed. Weakens the conclusion that town S people are better informed.

E - Newsstand price. Has nothing to do with number of newspapers sold or how the townspeople consume it. Neither weakens or strengthens the argument.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 36

Re: Need Response this simple CR question [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
gbisnik wrote:
Hey..thanks for the reply..I always end up getting confused when a question asks "all the following Weakens..except"...I always miss the word "except"

I was in the same boat not long time back. Read the question stem carefully twice before moving on to the options. On my scratch pad, I write W, S, XS, XW before reading the answer choices. May be this will help.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Response this simple CR question [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 22:55
Hey sanjuro9,

I have posted some other queries today and I would really appreciate if you can help me by responding to them.

Thanks
GB
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Response this simple CR question [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 07:15
Eliminate answer choices that weakens.  The correct answer can either strengthen or do nothing to hurt or help the argument.

A,B,C and D weakens and are wrong answer choices.

A) bigger population means bigger sales, this slightly hurts the assumption that high sales means citizens are better informed
B) Sales could be misleading.  Town T people could be contributing to the sales in Town S.  Thus, T citizen for all we know could be better informed.
C) Sales doesn't translate to reading
D) the newspaper is all about local news not major world event.  This hurts the conclusion.

The answer that does nothing to hurt all help the relationship of Sales and Being Better Informed is E.

Yes people could be buying more newspaper in town S because of cheap price.  But are they reading it or not reading it.  Does sales translate to reading or being better informed? This answer is neutral.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: Need Response this simple CR question [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 07:32
E It is

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Re: Need Response this simple CR question   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2011, 07:32