Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 18:48
thank you
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 20:49
oops, posted twice
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 295

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 09:50
I though the answer was clearly (D).
Would any expert from Manhattan GMAT, Kaplan or Veritas analyze this question and provide some insight?
Would really appreciate it.

Cheers!
J :)
SVP
SVP

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 09:52
tarek99 wrote:
the OA is E, but my issue is with option A. Ravshonbek, I think your analysis here COULD be true, but I don't see how it MUST be true. know what i mean? although what you said could be true, what ALSO could be true is that more people buy newspapers. I see option A heading towards the strengthening side by confirming that more people are in town s, therefore more likely to purchase more newspapers. although what you said is a possibility, i don't think it must be absolutely certain. is this one of those questions with 2 remaining answer choices that don't weaken the argument but then we have to split them up by choosing one of them that is stronger and less weakening?

I'm with you buddy. Same line of though here. I was very confident answer was (D) have no clue of what happened..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 13:06
tarek99 wrote:
A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Therefore, the citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.
Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:

(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T.

(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.

(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T.

(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.

(E) The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.

While I was working on this problem, i got stuck between A and E. The OA is E. Why is E better than A? In fact, I don't see how A can even weaken the argument cause I think A is strengthening the argument by confirming to the fact that indeed more newspapers are sold in town S than in town T. would someone explain? thanks

Still having trouble between A and E.
E can weaken the answer as it says that the price is higher in T...
But it does not have to be true, just like A does not have to be....
Both can be interpreted this way or that way....
Help?
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:32
Hi ronr,

Let me see if i can help.

A is definitely wrong

This is a very common type of question on GMAT, that tries to get you confused with % of people, and total people.

If S is a massive town (e.g. New York) and sells (for argument) 1million papers, and T is a smaller town (say Boston), and sells 800,000 papers, it's clear that a higher percentage of people in Boston are well informed.

Because of this ambiguity, that we don't know which town has the higher percentage we can say A weakens the argument - which is what we want.

Remember - because it is ambigious, the conclusion is not necessarily wrong, but that is fine as we only need to weaken

Does that help

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 05:24
plumber250 wrote:
Hi ronr,

Let me see if i can help.

A is definitely wrong

This is a very common type of question on GMAT, that tries to get you confused with % of people, and total people.

If S is a massive town (e.g. New York) and sells (for argument) 1million papers, and T is a smaller town (say Boston), and sells 800,000 papers, it's clear that a higher percentage of people in Boston are well informed.

Because of this ambiguity, that we don't know which town has the higher percentage we can say A weakens the argument - which is what we want.

Remember - because it is ambigious, the conclusion is not necessarily wrong, but that is fine as we only need to weaken

Does that help

James

Thanks a lot James.
I understand that part (now), but I have another question for you.
What is wrong with E?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 4

Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Ron,

Nothing is wrong with E - it is the correct answer.

The price of newspapers, would affect the number of papers sold, but as we already know the info on the number of papers sold, this information gives us no new evidence. So it does not weaken.

(n.b. a good general point here - just because it's not a strengthener, doesn't matter, we just have to find something that doesn't weaken...)

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 10:46
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Ron,

Nothing is wrong with E - it is the correct answer.

The price of newspapers, would affect the number of papers sold, but as we already know the info on the number of papers sold, this information gives us no new evidence. So it does not weaken.

(n.b. a good general point here - just because it's not a strengthener, doesn't matter, we just have to find something that doesn't weaken...)

James

I don't want to open this up again (but perhaps there will be no other option....), but
from my understanding the OA is A....
And I already understood why....
You think that the answer should be E?!? :(
SVP
SVP

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 14:55
I went with D on this one. Having a weekly newspaper doesn't do anything to the conclusion. So it's the odd one out.

I know answer is E but how can this be? How can D Weaken the argument?

Cheers
J :)
GMAT Pill Representative

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 06:30
Hi jlgdr,

I can try and explain.

The passage is saying: S sells more papers than T. Therefore S is better informed about major world events

D says: One of the papers in S is about local events

The two bits in red are the key. If one of the papers in S is about local events, it will weaken the conclusion that residents of S know more about world events, as they will just be reading about local events

Hope that clarifies.

James

... and more

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 17:55
PREMISE- A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T.
CONCLUSION - Citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.
Assumption- GREATER NUMBER OF NEWSPAPERS SOLD ---MEANS-----CITIZENS BETTER INFORMED
Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT: WE have to eliminate all weaken scenarios. Anything which suggests

(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T. ...SINCE population large, proportional "better informed" factor reduces....
(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there...weakener
(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T....hence may not be better informed..weakener
(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S. ..may not " better inform" citizens on world events
(E) The average news stand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T. ....price does'nt matter in being better informed....CORRECT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 29

Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 01:39
A is not strenghthening the conclusion of the argument.It is providing an alternative explanation as to why more newspapers are sold in Town S i.e. a larger population.That gives us no reason to believe that Town S is better informed than people in the other town.Even if all people in T were buying newspapers the sale of newspapers would still be lesser than that in S.But all the people in T will be as well informed as those in S.
Hence,it is weakening the argument.
Answer is E because the average price of newspapers has nothing to do with the argument.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2014, 01:39