Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2008, 03:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Therefore, the citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:
A)Town S has a larger population than Town T.
B)Most citizens of Town T are work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.
C)The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T.
D)A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.
E)The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.

The correct answer is apparently E, but I don't understand the reasoning. If newspapers cost less in Town A, wouldn't that cause more people (even those outside Town S) to purchase their newspapers there as opposed to Town T where the costs are higher, thus weakening the conclusion?

I put down A as my answer because the population size doesn't affect which group would be more informed about major world events.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OC11-#67 CR [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2008, 05:16
Well if you look into this sentence

Premises is greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T
Conclusion is that citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.

Now First of all we need to carefully see that it is an EXCEPT question, so all but one will be true.

Now down to explanation:

Assumption 1: Town S has a larger population than Town T.
Say Town S has population of 100000 and new paper purchase is 90000. Town T has population of 10000 and news paper purchased is 8000. If you see on percentage point then more people in town T is reading news paper than the people reading it in S. So it does weaken the conclusion.

Assumption 2: Most citizens of Town T are work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.
Say both Say Town S & T has population of 100000. However Town T people mostly work at town S so they buy newspaper from there. May Be only 20000 of S citizen buying newspaper in S however remaining 50000 newspaper were purchased by citizen's of town T when they are in S. So this also weakens the conclustion.

Assumption 3: The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T.
If average citizen of Town S are spending less time reading newspaper then they are not better informated. So this also weakens the conclustion.

Assumtion 4: A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.
If only local events are covered only for town S, and not for town T. Then obviously citizen's of town T will buy few newspapers. So this also weakens the conclustion.

Assumption 5:The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.
Logically thinking newspaper prices does not vary by huge margins. Moreover average price is not indicative of overall range of prices. So although this may weaken the conclusion but it will be least factor to count it.

As in GMAT you are supposed to pick the best one out so I will go with the E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: OC11-#67 CR [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2008, 05:25
I agree with the explanation and go with E.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OC11-#67 CR [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2008, 11:00
japped187 wrote:
A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Therefore, the citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:
A)Town S has a larger population than Town T.
B)Most citizens of Town T are work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.
C)The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T.
D)A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.
E)The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.

The correct answer is apparently E, but I don't understand the reasoning. If newspapers cost less in Town A, wouldn't that cause more people (even those outside Town S) to purchase their newspapers there as opposed to Town T where the costs are higher, thus weakening the conclusion?

I put down A as my answer because the population size doesn't affect which group would be more informed about major world events.

Your looking for the answer that does NOT weaken the conclusion, which is:

The citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.

So we need the answer that tells us that the people of Town S read more about world events than Town T.

E) is the only one that does this by telling us that the newspapers are cheaper in Town S giving the people more of an incentive to purchase and read about world events.
Re: OC11-#67 CR   [#permalink] 29 Feb 2008, 11:00