Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 12:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:25) correct 57% (01:16) wrong based on 199 sessions
A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold in Town A than are sold in Town B. Therefore, the citizens of Town A are better informed about international sporting competitions than are the citizens of Town B.

all of the followings weakens the conclusion, EXCEPT:

A. Town A has a larger population than Town B
B. Many citizens of town B have second homes in Town A, and have all their leisure magazines delivered there
C. The average citizen of Town B spends more time watching cable sports coverage of international sports than does the average citizen of Town A
D. A weekly magazine devoted entirely to high school football is published in Town A, where high school football is considered the most popular sport
E. The average price of a magazine subscription in Town A is lower than the average price in Town B.

I chose D, because I believe it strengthen the conclusion, which is "town A people are more informed about int sports than Town B ppl".
The OA is E, which I cannot be convinced AT ALL. I in fact believe it weakens the conclusion: If the average price of a magazine is lower in Town A, Town A ppl are gonna be more likely to be able to afford it and buy it, than Town B ppl. This is an evidence of saying the price is the reason for the larger volume sales, so kinda similar to option A, and NOT because Town's people are more informed.so it weakens or disapproves the conclusion.

someone please explain and convince me why E is the right answer.
thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 10:11
Conclusion says "Citizens in town A are better informed of INTERNATIONAL SPORTING Competitions than those of B". So, as per D, people in A may have good know ledge of local sport and they may not be aware of any international one. So, that weakens the conclusion.

E dont actually weaken the conclusion that says about peoples knowledge

kudos if u find this helpful
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 299 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 18:44
This post received
KUDOS
+1 E

D weakens the conclusion because the weekly magazine is about HIGH SCHOOL football, so this weaken the claim that people will know more about INTERNATIONAL SPORTING competitions.

In CR, each detail is very important. ;)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 269

Re: A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 21:22
StevenChen wrote:
A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold in Town A than are sold in Town B. Therefore, the citizens of Town A are better informed about international sporting competitions than are the citizens of Town B.

all of the followings weakens the conclusion, EXCEPT:

A. Town A has a larger population than Town B
B. Many citizens of town B have second homes in Town A, and have all their leisure magazines delivered there
C. The average citizen of Town B spends more time watching cable sports coverage of international sports than does the average citizen of Town A
D. A weekly magazine devoted entirely to high school football is published in Town A, where high school football is considered the most popular sport
E. The average price of a magazine subscription in Town A is lower than the average price in Town B.

I chose D, because I believe it strengthen the conclusion, which is "town A people are more informed about int sports than Town B ppl".
The OA is E, which I cannot be convinced AT ALL. I in fact believe it weakens the conclusion: If the average price of a magazine is lower in Town A, Town A ppl are gonna be more likely to be able to afford it and buy it, than Town B ppl. This is an evidence of saying the price is the reason for the larger volume sales, so kinda similar to option A, and NOT because Town's people are more informed.so it weakens or disapproves the conclusion.

someone please explain and convince me why E is the right answer.
thanks

Premise - A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold in Town A than are sold in Town B.

Conclusion - Therefore, the citizens of Town A are better informed about international sporting competitions than are the citizens of Town B.

Anything which strengthen the conclusion is our answer

D. A weekly magazine devoted entirely to high school football is published in Town A, where high school football is considered the most popular sport (It does not mean that B does not have any weekly magazine published there or the town B people do not have any favorite sport)
E. The average price of a magazine subscription in Town A is lower than the average price in Town B. (This is our answer as it strengthen the conclusion because if the price is less, the number of magazines sold per 100 people(lets say) will be higher as compared to those sold in town B. If more magazines are sold then more awareness is spread )

Hope it helps !
:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 269

Re: A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 21:24
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

D weakens the conclusion because the weekly magazine is about HIGH SCHOOL football, so this weaken the claim that people will know more about INTERNATIONAL SPORTING competitions.

Great observation.

Thanks for bringing it to my notice. Kudos to you. :)

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 10:38
getgyan wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

Great observation.

i have one doubt : how can sale of magazine be proof of awareness, may be they are buying it and not reading.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-25-2013
GPA: 3.66

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 30

Re: A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 11:57
tyagigar wrote:
getgyan wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

Great observation.

i have one doubt : how can sale of magazine be proof of awareness, may be they are buying it and not reading.

Well.... According to me, It's a pure assumption "sale of magazine be proof of awareness, may be they are buying it and not reading" and you should not make an assumption to answer a question.

Strive for Excellence....!!!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 24

Re: A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 07:18
I like "C." If town B watches international sports on cable (instead of learning through magazines), they would be better informed.

Choice E doesn't really weaken or strengthen. Instead of helping explain why Town A is more knowledgeable about international sports, it just gives an explanation as to why Town A might subscribe to more magazines.

I think this is a terrible question, and I don't think anything this ambiguous would show up on the real GMAT.
Re: A greater number of sports magazine subscriptions are sold   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2014, 07:18