Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 653

Kudos [?]: 2786 [0], given: 879

A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 07:27
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

86% (02:22) correct 14% (01:04) wrong based on 56 sessions
A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, are searching a small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm.

A. A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, are searching a small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm.
B. A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, is searching a rural Milford Township horse farm, a small area within.
C. A group of FBI investigators, searching a small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm, is connected with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa.
D. A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, is searching a small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm.
E. A small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm is being searched by a group of FBI investigators in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 269

Re: A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
+1E

A group is singular, in connection with wrongly modifies investigators, eliminate A
“A small area within” is unnecessarily wordy, in connection with wrongly modifies investigators, eliminate B
Group of investigators is not connected with the 1975 disappearance, eliminate C. Changes the meaning
in connection with wrongly modifies investigators, eliminate D

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 17

Re: A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 23:40
souvik101990 wrote:
A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, are searching a small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm.

A. A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, are searching a small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm.
B. A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, is searching a rural Milford Township horse farm, a small area within.
C. A group of FBI investigators, searching a small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm, is connected with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa.
D. A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, is searching a small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm.
E. A small area of a rural Milford Township horse farm is being searched by a group of FBI investigators in connection with the 1975 disappearance of Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa

Should be D.
A - "are" doesn't go with "A group of investigators" WRONG
B- "searching a rural Milford Township horse farm, a small area within" awkward construction WRONG
C- Changes the meaning of the original sentence WRONG
D- CORRECT
E- has several problems, use passive voice and also use of "being", which is not preferred. WRONG

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

Re: A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 11:45
E for me too.

I initially rejected it because of the passive voice, but none of the other choices make sense. The first criteria should be singular / plural, this eliminates A.. C basically means that the team is responsible for the crime, thus modifying the meaning.
The problem with B and D is that they both put a necessary information within double commas. I also agree with the concision point mentioned by getgyan.

Would be happy to see some more comments.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 653

Kudos [?]: 2786 [2] , given: 879

Re: A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

Re: A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 12:07
Cool, this was really a good question. Great to see Ron accepting the issue with the question. :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 17

Re: A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 16:41
souvik101990 wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
This a MGMAT question whose OA is wrong.
This means MGMAT might not have used the same set of options otherwise. I think in the light of GMAT, question itself is flawed.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Re: A group of FBI investigators, in connection with the   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2012, 16:41