Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 16:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:15) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 7 sessions
40. A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmstead's Morning Park in New York City believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but to be returned to its former condition
1)believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but to
2)believe that the park needs to not be redesigned but to
3)believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but could
4)believe that the park needs not to be redesigned but to
5)believe that the park needs not to be redesigned but that it

I picked D instead of A. Can anybody explain why "believe" should take the singular verbal form? I thought "a group of students" should always be plural versus "the group of students" that is singular.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 16:56
A group of students is singular...'of students' is just a middleman.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Re: Brutal SC - A group of.. [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 16:57
beckee529 wrote:
40. A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmstead's Morning Park in New York City believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but to be returned to its former condition

I picked D instead of A. Can anybody explain why "believe" should take the singular verbal form? I thought "a group of students" should always be plural versus "the group of students" that is singular.

Choices are A and C because the sentence needs singular verb "believes". Also we need correct idiom: not x (to be designed) but y (but to be returned).

A group (of students) is a singular because it defines a group. A group and a number are different.
A number of students = plural.
The number of students = Singular
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Brutal SC - A group of.. [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 17:00
Himalayan wrote:
beckee529 wrote:

Choices are A and C because the sentence needs singular verb "believes". Also we need correct idiom: not x (to be designed) but y (but to be returned).

A group (of students) is a singular because it defines a group. A group and a number are different.
A number of students = plural.
The number of students = Singular

Thanks for clearing the confusion!! Very good to know for the test...
Director
Director

Re: Brutal SC - A group of.. [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 17:55
A group of students who have begun...believe

Only D makes sense. A may be an OA but how do you deny D?

I understand the effect of 'group of students' is singular but 'have begun' in non-underlined section leaving me no choice but to pick the one with 'believe'.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 19:23
A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmstead's Morning Park in New York City believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but to be returned to its former condition

WHO which is a relative pronoun should relate to the closest noun "students"

A group which is a single entity represents a singular noun.

A stands...

Also remove the text in GREEN below

A group of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmstead's Morning Park in New York City believes that the park needs not to be redesigned but to be returned to its former condition
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 23:59
ok .. I also thought that A group of students is singular. But then why are they using "who have" If it is singular shouldn't it be "who has"? "HAVE" is plural!?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 01:15
group is singular, so need believes. 2,4 and 5 out. Between 1 and 3, take 1 for parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 01:21
Some nouns, like committee, clergy, enemy, group, family, and team, refer to a group but are singular in form. These nouns are called collective nouns. In American usage, a collective noun takes a singular verb when it refers to the collection considered as a whole, as in The family was united on this question or The enemy is suing for peace. It takes a plural verb when it refers to the members of the group considered as individuals, as in My family are always fighting among themselves or The enemy were showing up in groups of three or four to turn in their weapons. In British usage, collective nouns are more often treated as plurals: The government have not announced a new policy. The team are playing in the test matches next week. 1
Be careful not to treat a collective noun as both singular and plural in the same construction. Thus you should say The family is determined to press its (not their) claim.
I am certain D is the right answer to this question.

ywilfred wrote:
group is singular, so need believes. 2,4 and 5 out. Between 1 and 3, take 1 for parallelism.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 01:25
I agree I think D is the right answer. It already uses 'have' initially. Which means that it is plural. Although group is usually singular.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 02:27
trivikram wrote:

WHO which is a relative pronoun should relate to the closest noun "students"

A group which is a single entity represents a singular noun.

A stands...

Also remove the text in GREEN below

Yeah I thought about 'who' being relative pronoun and working on 'students' instead of 'a group of students' but honestly nothing in the sentence logically separates (with comma or hypen) the two parts ...have begun...beleives.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 02:36
A group (of students who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmstead's Morning Park in New York City) believes that the park needs

not to be redesigned
but to be returned to its former condition
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 08:50
bmpwhype's representation is very clear
Just to add to bmw's post:

bmwhype2 wrote:
A group (of students [who have begun to clean up Frederick Law Olmstead's Morning Park in New York City]) believes that the park needs

text in bracket is modifying "a group"
text in square barackets is modifying "students"

not to be redesigned
but to be returned to its former condition
  [#permalink] 02 Aug 2007, 08:50