Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Harvard anthropologist has proposed that using fire to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 99

A Harvard anthropologist has proposed that using fire to [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:54) correct 27% (01:12) wrong based on 201 sessions
A Harvard anthropologist has proposed that using fire to cook food could be dated back to almost two million years and that it could explain hominid features like having a large brain and small teeth.

A using fire to cook food could be dated back to almost two million years and that it could explain hominid features like having
B the use of fire to cook food could date back almost two million years and could explain such hominid features as
C cooking food with fire could date back to almost two million Years, explaining hominid features like
D fire used to cook food could date back almost two million years ,explaining hominid features such as having.
E fire used for cooking food could be dated back to almost two million years and explain hominid features like.

I came down to B and D ( eliminated other choices based on 'like vs such as')

I am not sure how to choose between these two.

in B, it says "use of fire" ...
in D, "fire used" ... I thought both are fine ...

will post the OA soon.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 29 Aug 2013, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
OA not Provided
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 23

Re: Harvard anthropologist [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 12:28
'could date' and 'could explain' need to be parallel. Also, 'such as having' is unnecessary. 'features' infers the hominid's have a large brain and small teeth.

Hence, IMO, answer is B.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 31

Re: Harvard anthropologist [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:
A Harvard anthropologist has proposed that using fire to cook food could be dated back to almost two million years and that it could explain hominid features like having a large brain and small teeth.

A using fire to cook food could be dated back to almost two million years and that it could explain hominid features like having
B the use of fire to cook food could date back almost two million years and could explain such hominid features as
C cooking food with fire could date back to almost two million Years, explaining hominid features like
D fire used to cook food could date back almost two million years ,explaining hominid features such as having.
E fire used for cooking food could be dated back to almost two million years and explain hominid features like.

will post the OA soon.

answer B?

D makes it seem as if fire explains hominid features when it should be the use of fire to cook could date back and explain as in B

so B
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Re: Harvard anthropologist [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 12:56
lagomez wrote:
ugimba wrote:

will post the OA soon.

answer B?

D makes it seem as if fire explains hominid features when it should be the use of fire to cook could date back and explain as in B

so B

thanks ... this explanation is perfect.. I guess in the time pressure I missed this point. I should have spent few more secs to see this error as to who is doing the 'modifier'...

OA is B.

+1 for ya.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Harvard anthropologist [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 15:09
B
for the reason... consistent usage of verb form... use, date, explain,
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [1] , given: 40

Re: Harvard anthropologist [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 23:33
This post received
KUDOS
Though I marked the correct OA, but it took me 3:28 min to make out the meaning.
I marked B for:
1. could date....could explain
2. the use of fire to cook food - (a noun phrase) is a method which can be traced back not the fire
3. such hominid features as Vs like

I hope in the real GMAT such questions are not for me :)

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Last edited by ykaiim on 10 Jun 2010, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: Harvard anthropologist [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 23:35
LOL ykaiim. I am sure 750+ is on the way on 24th.

ykaiim wrote:
Though I marked the correct OA, but it took me 3:28 min to make out the meaning.

I hope in the real GMAT such questions are not for me :)

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A Harvard anthropologist has proposed that using fire to [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 03:50
ugimba wrote:

will post the OA soon.

B is perfectly ok for me, but shouldn't we use DATE AT idiom => the use of fire to cook food could date back AT almost two million years and could explain such hominid features as
please explain. thx!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 12

Re: A Harvard anthropologist has proposed that using fire to [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 15:48
ugimba wrote:

will post the OA soon.

Generally speaking you can eliminate A because it uses 'it' and i can't find any antecedent for it.
In D and E are not correct because of it'e meaning fire used . What does this mean. Some other fire was being used millions of years ago or what ?
I eliminated C because Like can't be used to give examples so B is the answer. Notice B has everything going fot it.
Re: A Harvard anthropologist has proposed that using fire to   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2013, 15:48