Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 15:11
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.


A. that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
B. that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
C. that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
D. that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
E. that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Housing Market [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 17:41
ninadk wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

A. that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
B. that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
C. that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
D. that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
E. that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade


i suppose "albeit an important one" refers to "A higher interest rate" and choose C over B.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 1071
Location: USA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Housing Market [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 18:04
Professor wrote:
i suppose "albeit an important one" refers to "A higher interest rate" and choose C over B.


Prof, I know I suck at SCs.. but
Isn't "one of the factors that keep" correct?..
_________________

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Housing Market [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 18:26
giddi77 wrote:
Professor wrote:
i suppose "albeit an important one" refers to "A higher interest rate" and choose C over B.


Prof, I know I suck at SCs.. but
Isn't "one of the factors that keep" correct?..


Yea kinda...but here it is the high interest rate that keeps...
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1133
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 18:40
Going with C.
' A higher interest rate.......keeps '.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 1071
Location: USA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Housing Market [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 19:33
gmatmba wrote:
giddi77 wrote:
Professor wrote:
i suppose "albeit an important one" refers to "A higher interest rate" and choose C over B.


Prof, I know I suck at SCs.. but
Isn't "one of the factors that keep" correct?..


Yea kinda...but here it is the high interest rate that keeps...


Thanks buddy! Now I get it :idea: .. from the second part "it" should refer to a singular noun - A higher interest rate - that keeps
_________________

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 May 2005
Posts: 141
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 20:57
Straight C ... "one of the....keeps" ... is the right way ...and "as" is preferred over "like" ...
_________________

--I never think of future, it comes soon enough!!

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 21:09
Straight forward C. Interset rate is singluar hence keeps.
Factors didnot keep the housing rates from spiralling ..... tangible things did like interest rate etc.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 931
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Housing Market [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 23:07
giddi77 wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
giddi77 wrote:
Professor wrote:
i suppose "albeit an important one" refers to "A higher interest rate" and choose C over B.


Prof, I know I suck at SCs.. but
Isn't "one of the factors that keep" correct?..


Yea kinda...but here it is the high interest rate that keeps...


Thanks buddy! Now I get it :idea: .. from the second part "it" should refer to a singular noun - A higher interest rate - that keeps


Correct.

C should be the answer.

Regards,
Brajesh
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 08:11
C:

'keeps' goes with singular "interest rate"
We are comparing the act of spiralling of the interest rate this year and last year, therefore merits the usage of 'as'
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Housing Market [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 08:20
giddi77 wrote:
Professor wrote:
i suppose "albeit an important one" refers to "A higher interest rate" and choose C over B.


Prof, I know I suck at SCs.. but
Isn't "one of the factors that keep" correct?..


SC was my easiest part of GMAT but nowadays i am loosing my confidence and concentration on SC. now i also started to be sucked at SCs. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 16:21
OA is 'B'

Here is the explanation given,

The original sentence states that "a higher interest rate is only one of the factors...that keeps..." The clause "that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control" is describing the word "factors." Since "factors" is plural noun and "keeps" agrees with singular nouns, we need to find a sentence that replaces "keeps" with "keep". Also, "like it did earlier in the decade" is incorrect. When comparing clauses (i.e., a phrase containing a subject and a verb), we must use "as" instead of "like." For example, "She sings like her mother" and "She sings as her mother does" are both correct, but "She sings like her mother does" is not.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 931
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 19:28
ninadk wrote:
OA is 'B'

Here is the explanation given,

The original sentence states that "a higher interest rate is only one of the factors...that keeps..." The clause "that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control" is describing the word "factors." Since "factors" is plural noun and "keeps" agrees with singular nouns, we need to find a sentence that replaces "keeps" with "keep". Also, "like it did earlier in the decade" is incorrect. When comparing clauses (i.e., a phrase containing a subject and a verb), we must use "as" instead of "like." For example, "She sings like her mother" and "She sings as her mother does" are both correct, but "She sings like her mother does" is not.


That's a :bouncer
I thought the same but I got confused by "it".
Well, although 'it' refers to "A higher interest rate", "keep" refers to "factors".

Regards,
Brajesh
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 20:22
ninadk wrote:
OA is 'B'

Here is the explanation given,

The original sentence states that "a higher interest rate is only one of the factors...that keeps..." The clause "that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control" is describing the word "factors." Since "factors" is plural noun and "keeps" agrees with singular nouns, we need to find a sentence that replaces "keeps" with "keep". Also, "like it did earlier in the decade" is incorrect. When comparing clauses (i.e., a phrase containing a subject and a verb), we must use "as" instead of "like." For example, "She sings like her mother" and "She sings as her mother does" are both correct, but "She sings like her mother does" is not.


Good question. I also chose C but now I realized the mistake. Lesson learned is "read carefully" and keep all the options open.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2006, 18:58

Last edited by hhartwig on 09 Sep 2006, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2006, 03:44
...one of plural that do...

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade.

vertically compared to #14 from the Brutal SC list

Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tell individual genes both when to become active and when to remain quiescent in the earliest phases of an embryo's development.

Hope this helps.

8-)
  [#permalink] 09 Sep 2006, 03:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an sreehari1250 35 04 Sep 2009, 22:37
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an sreehari1250 4 04 Sep 2009, 22:14
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an sreehari1250 13 04 Sep 2009, 22:13
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an gmatprep09 11 02 Jun 2009, 10:11
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an X & Y 25 15 Jun 2006, 09:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.