Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 May 2015, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 04:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

a) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
b) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
c) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
d) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
e) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

OA is B, but my choice is C. Please, could someone explain? Thx.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - a higher interest rate is only one of the factors [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 06:01
vituz wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

a) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
b) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
c) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
d) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
e) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

Here that modifies factors (the word after which it stands). That can also modify a subject.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 08:00
shouldn't it be "keeps" rather than "keep" ?

we are talking about "a higher interest rate" (singular) which is one of the fators.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - a higher interest rate is only one of the factors [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 08:03
and does "as it did..." refer to the "factors" then? If yes, why singular "it" refers to plural "factors"...?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - a higher interest rate is only one of the factors [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 21:41
vituz wrote:

Ans C.

Subject is a higher interest rate not factors

When trying to find the appropriate subject-verb agreement, you can often elimate anything after "of"

In this case, "A higher interest rate is only one of the factors"

elminate of the factors and it becomes clear what tense should be used.

The exception to this is the use of the pronouns Some All None Most Any.

Only when using these pronouns do u disregard the "of" rule.

Some of the cats are in the garage.

Some of the cat litter is in the garage. Here you use what is after the "of".

(Basically taking this from memory from the MGMAT SC)

B is also correct because it correctly uses "as" instead of like.

Like is used to compare nouns. here we are comparing time periods where the housing market is spiraling out of control.

As is used to compare clauses (i.e. anything w/ a verb)

Last edited by GMATBLACKBELT on 17 Sep 2007, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: SC - a higher interest rate is only one of the factors [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 02:13
Amit05 wrote:
vituz wrote:

C........

I don't see how it can be ans B. If the interest rate is singular should it not be "keeps".

I have tried removing the "factors" bit and it stil sounds wrong.

The only other thing i can think of is that after "one of" + Noun + Plural verb

its in Sahils grammar notes4) One of the: The pattern to remember is ‘one of the NOUN (this noun will always be plural) + that/who + PLURAL VERB
Example : He is one of the persons who make money.
This is one of the cars that run on hydrogen
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - a higher interest rate is only one of the factors [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 13:19
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
vituz wrote:

Ans B.

Subject is a higher interest rate not factors

When trying to find the appropriate subject-verb agreement, you can often elimate anything after "of"

In this case, "A higher interest rate is only one of the factors"

elminate of the factors and it becomes clear what tense should be used.

The exception to this is the use of the pronouns Some All None Most Any.

Only when using these pronouns do u disregard the "of" rule.

Some of the cats are in the garage.

Some of the cat litter is in the garage. Here you use what is after the "of".

(Basically taking this from memory from the MGMAT SC)

B is also correct because it correctly uses "as" instead of like.

Like is used to compare nouns. here we are comparing time periods where the housing market is spiraling out of control.

As is used to compare clauses (i.e. anything w/ a verb)

Looking back at this I think I meant to pick C instead of B. If you read my post then according to it, answer should be C. Keeps is needed for the singular "higher interest rate."

How is the OA B? what is the source?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - a higher interest rate is only one of the factors [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 13:27
vituz wrote:

I vote for B

From my notes

The pattern to remember is ‘one of the NOUN (this noun will always be plural) + that/who + PLURAL VERB
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 10:57
Sachu is correct

one of the PLURAL NOUN + that/who... PLURAL VERB....

so, for this question....
one of the factors that KEEP...

then you can eliminate A and C,

you use "as" when you compare clauses
you use "like" when you compare nouns

therefore, "as" is the correct idiom.
  [#permalink] 18 Sep 2007, 10:57