Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - higher interst [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 00:26
vudsri000 wrote:
I go with C....................

example .........It is only one of the things that gets done here.

B .... is also convincing ....but still believe subject as rate of interest

ONE of the <plural noun> is ALWAYS <plural verb>

Hence in this qn, eliminate a and c..

Like is used to compare 2 similar things not actions,
eg: that keep the housing market spiralling out of control LIKE a tornado.

but here the comparison is with an ACTION which has prev occurred. So 'LIKE" cannot be used and we must use "AS".
Eliminate D n E.
B is your answer!

Hope this helped!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 23:55
still confused here.. too many rules... one of the + plural nouns.... and then the word Only.. Experts, kindly resolve between B and C..

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 06:44
I'm a little perplexed with this question as well. So in the GMAT universe, is it true that essential modifiers can modify prepositional phrases? It seems as if this is the case here with the OA.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 20:20
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did – That modifies factors . Hence we should have keep.
B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did – Go with this .
C) keepsthe housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did – Keeps . Hence ignore.
D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier – Like is used to compare nouns. Hence ignore this
E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier - Like is used to compare nouns. Hence ignore this

IMO B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 07:37
The answer should be C.

If the subject, as claimed above is, "One of the factors", then "that keep the housing market" could be right. But, the same subject does not fall in line with the pronoun "as IT did earlier". It has to be "as THEY did". Hence, option B is not right.

However, in C, assuming the subject is "A higher interest rate", the pronouns followed are in sync.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 12

Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 16:55
x2suresh wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did
B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did
C) keepsthe housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did
D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier
E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier

one of the factors that keep is the correct verb as we are talking about factors. Like it did is incorrect because like is preposition hence should be followed by a noun or a noun phrase not a clause. Hence B.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 17:57
It's "B". " One of the factors that keep..."
As is preferred to like because it signifies the way it was done, not similar to the way it was done.

Kudos are motivating! :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 40

Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 02:44
The plurality of it is tricky but becomes evident when you look at whether or not the verb is being performed by one entity or multiple.

For example, if I were to say "Billy is one of my friends who watches my house" that would imply that of all my friends, only Billy watches the house.

However, if I were to say "Billy is only one of my friends who watch my house" that would imply that Billy is just one of a group of friends that collectively watch my house.

Similarly, in this question multiple factors are keeping the interest rate up: the action is being performed by multiple entities and is therefore plural.

If, on the other hand, from a list of factors the interest rate is the only factor that keeps the market up, we'd be looking at a singular verb tense.

"Like" is wrong because "Like" is used for a comparison between two different (but similar) events/objects, whereas "as" is used for elaborating on one entity/place in greater detail.

IE: "He performed like a police officer" implies that while the subject was similar, he wasn't actually a police officer.
"He performed as a police officer" implies the subject was a police officer.

Since we're talking about an event that actually happened and is, in essence, the same thing (rather than a comparison to something similar) "as" is more appropriate. using "like" would imply that interest rates didn't actually do what they did.
I hope that sheds some light on the issue.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 19:45
x2suresh wrote:

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did
B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did
C) keepsthe housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did
D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier
E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier

I am a little confused...
Isn't housing market the subject of the sentence? Isn't it singular? So shouldn't we use keeps rather than keep?
:shock:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 14:14
There is one another approach to deal with this question-

"One" is one of those special indefinite pronouns for which you must examine the object of the the preposition (the "of construction") to determine the whether to use a singular or plural verb. Remember the acronym SANAM (some, any, none, all, most) mentioned in the Strategy Guide? Well the acronym should more appropriately be called SANAMO to include the indefinite pronoun, "one."

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2013, 14:14