Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A history book written hundreds of years ago contains

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

A history book written hundreds of years ago contains [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 22:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:57) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A history book written hundreds of years ago contains several inconsistencies. Some scholars argue that because the book contains inconsistencies, the author must have been getting information from more than one source.
The conclusion cited does not follow unless
(A) authors generally try to reconcile discrepancies between sources
(B) the inconsistencies would be apparent to the average reader of the history book at the present time
(C) the history book’s author used no source that contained inconsistencies repeated in the history book
(D) the author of the history book was aware of the kinds of inconsistencies that can arise when multiple sources are consulted
(E) the author of the history book was familiar with all of the available source material that was relevant to the history book

Please give reasons for ur choices...
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 22:32
Anything that strengthens the possibility that our history book author did use multiple reference sources for his history book would strengthen the conclusion of the scholars.

E provides that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-history book [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 02:10
vineetgupta wrote:
A history book written hundreds of years ago contains several inconsistencies. Some scholars argue that because the book contains inconsistencies, the author must have been getting information from more than one source.
(A) authors generally try to reconcile discrepancies between sources

If thats the case then there has to be little, if any, inconsistancies. This doest not support the conclusion.
(B) the inconsistencies would be apparent to the average reader of the history book at the present time. Cross this one

If there are inconsistencies it would be true for the present readers as well as the readers of the past. So cross this one too.
(C) the history book’s author used no source that contained inconsistencies repeated in the history book

This again does not support the conclusion. Cancle this(D) the author of the history book was aware of the kinds of inconsistencies that can arise when multiple sources are consulted.

If the author was aware that multiple sources can create inconsistencies then he would not have consulted multiple sources and hence this statement does not support the conlcusion.

(E) the author of the history book was familiar with all of the available source material that was relevant to the history book

I choose E because if the author of the history book was familiar with all the avalable source material that were relevant to the history book , only then could have given all the relavant informations,which resulted in inconsistancies because of many sources. So the correct choice.
Please give reasons for ur choices...

Javed.

Cheers!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 02:29
Hi guys,I also chose E but the OA is C...is it wrong??
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 04:06
vineetgupta wrote:
Hi guys,I also chose E but the OA is C...is it wrong??

This one is a real twister.

I think C is right after all. If the other sources (from which the author has allegedly copied) had the same inconsistencies as in our Author's history book then the information between our Author's book and the other books would have been CONSISTENT and would not have stood out.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 06:54
dwivedys wrote:
Anything that strengthens the possibility that our history book author did use multiple reference sources for his history book would strengthen the conclusion of the scholars.

E provides that.

Hi dwivedys,what about ur earlier explanation...whats wrong with that.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 07:09
vineetgupta wrote:
dwivedys wrote:

E provides that.

The logic that I used viz anything that could establish the author used multiple sources would strengthen the claim of the scholars still stands. However this falls short - we also need to figure out the REASON for the inconsistencies - None of the sources our history book author copies from would have those inconsistencies that make their way into our History Author's book.

One more thing - which may be an important consideration for this question - scholars are objecting to INCONSISTENCY and not DISCREPANCY (or error). An example of inconsistency could be as follows -
In one of the chapters in our History Author's book the following might appear - India gained independence in 1947.

In the same chapter elsewhere or in a different chapter the same
information could be represented as

India was still ruled by Britishers into 1947.

Now the information in the book becomes inconsistent.

Now imagine if ALL of the other sources had the SAME inconsistency - the charge that the Author copied the info from different sources would not have arisen. But because individually the potential sources that the author plucked the information from all reflect consistent information - it stands to reason that the author has copied from different sources and somewhere in that process the information has become inconsistent.

This is a very tough CR and I don't think I would have been able to answer it on the exam.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 11:34
Thats a complex question...answer requires making a lot of assumptions... :)
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 11:56
Wheew .. You guys freaked me out .. When I read the question I directly eliminated D and E, and then with more POE I was sure that answer is C. Then for the first 3 or 4 replies, you guys confirmed it was E .. :? :( :cry: :cry:

Thank god the OA is C :P :twisted:

Anyways, this is an assumption question. The assumption connects the evidence and the conclusion. The conclusion is that in order for the book to contain inconsistencies, the author should've used multiple resources --> hence the ONLY source for inconsistencies is using multiple resources.

x --> Z
the assumptions are:
z --/-> x [ it's not the reverse cause and effect ]
y --/-> z [ it wasn't another cause that led to the effect ]

Therefore, the answer is clearly C.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-history book [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 12:05

- If the author used only one source that contained, then those inconsistencies would have transferred over to the book as well. So, the argument made by some scholars would be negated.

Anand
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 12:10
vineetgupta wrote:
dwivedys wrote:

E provides that.

One reason as to why E is not the best choice:
If the author knew all the information and all the sources, then there would have been no inconsistencies. He would have chosen information from source(s) that he thought were true and included only that information in his book.
Some might argue that there is no way of infering that but to me, an author adding inconsistencies on purpose seems far fetched.

Anand
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 12:25
Remember, for CR questions you're allowed to use ONLY the information or statements presented in the question. Any answer choice that requires further background knowledge or external and unnccessary assumptions is wrong and considered out-of-scope.

Choice D requires the assumption that if the author is aware of inconsistencis in the sources he used he'll stop using them or find a solution for this problem by using alternative sources or using only one single source.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 15:40
C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 10:57
Very hard CR :? Hope to get easy ones in the real test. :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 21:21
E doesn't affect the argument.

C on the other hand says that there are inherent inconsistencies to begin with

Good question though

AimHigher

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 21:59
A hell of a question. A real twister

Javed.

Cheers
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 09:43
A real tough question. Thanks dwivedy for the explanation...
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 10:53
Mishari wrote:
Wheew .. You guys freaked me out .. When I read the question I directly eliminated D and E, and then with more POE I was sure that answer is C. Then for the first 3 or 4 replies, you guys confirmed it was E .. :? :( :cry: :cry:

Anyways, this is an assumption question. The assumption connects the evidence and the conclusion. The conclusion is that in order for the book to contain inconsistencies, the author should've used multiple resources --> hence the ONLY source for inconsistencies is using multiple resources.

x --> Z
the assumptions are:

Good approach...The OA is C.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 11:13
Mishari wrote:

x --> Z
the assumptions are:

Iam impressed with the logic.
Mishari , Which book do you refer for CR? :-)
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 21:54
For most of my CR logic I usually refer to Kaplan's approach.
  [#permalink] 20 Apr 2007, 21:54