Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A home owner must pick b/n paint A, which cost $6.00 per

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 4

A home owner must pick b/n paint A, which cost $6.00 per [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 09:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:35) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 8 sessions
A home owner must pick b/n paint A, which cost $6.00 per liter and paint B ,which costs $4.50 per liter.Paint B takes
one third longer to apply than paint A.If the home owner must pay the cost of labour at the rate $36 per hour ,which of the two paints will be cheaper to apply ?

(1) The ratio of the area covered by one liter of paint A to the area covered by one liter of paint B is 4:3.
(2) Paint A will require 40 liters of paint and 100 hours of labour.

Please provide answer with explanation.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 10:05
E.
Nothing can b deduced from "(1) The ratio of the area covered by one liter of paint A to the area covered by one liter of paint B is 4:3."
Although "(2) Paint A will require 40 liters of paint and 100 hours of labour." provides sufficient info for calculating the total cost for paint A (A = 40*6 + 100*36, B = (100+100/3)*36 + X*4.5 where X= quantity of paint B is missing)but we so not have info regarding the quantity of Paint B.
Hence E.
OA please..
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 10:10
sacmanitin wrote:
A home owner must pick b/n paint A, which cost $6.00 per liter and paint B ,which costs $4.50 per liter.Paint B takes
one third longer to apply than paint A.If the home owner must pay the cost of labour at the rate $36 per hour ,which of the two paints will be cheaper to apply ?

(1) The ratio of the area covered by one liter of paint A to the area covered by one liter of paint B is 4:3.

C?

1. You know the ratio of the area but you dont know how long it will take to paint... so INSUFF?
2. you know A will require 40 liters and 100 hours of labour. For B you know it will take 133.33 hours to apply since it takes 1/3 longer to apply. But still insuff. since you dont know how many liters of paint B you need

Combine:
so you know A's price through the paint and the labour. B you know the labour price but need the number of liters of paint. 1 gives you the ratio of the area - so the area painted using A's paint is 40 X4= 160. with that you can figure out that B needs 160/3 = 53.33 = 54 liters of paint. So SUFF.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 10:49
According to my understanding if 1 liter paint A : 1 liter paint B =4:3 in terms of area covered,

then let say A covers 4x sq feet so to cover 1 sq feet paint A required =1 /4x
B covers 3x sq feet so to cover 1 sq feet paint B requied =1/3x

so the paint required for any fixed area to cover will be 1/4x:1/3x=1/4:1/3=3:4

now we know paint A require =40 liter ,so paint B require 4/3 *40=160/3

so we know the two amounts and we know the hours also 100 hrs and 133.33 hrs
-what you guys things
Manager
Manager
Schools: McIntire, Fuqua, Villanova, Vandy, WashingtonU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 23:58
sacmanitin wrote:

$6 * A_liters + $36 * Time_needed VS $4.50 * B_liters + $36 * 4/3 * Time_needed
6A + 36T vs 4.5B + 48T

(1) Gives us ratio of A to B, but we don't know T, not enough
(2) Gives us A and T, we don't know B

Together suffiecient

Answer is C

12/23 GMATPrep #1: 730 q50 v38
12/26 MGMAT CAT #1: 730 q50 v40
01/01 MGMAT CAT #2: 710 q51 v36
01/12 Real GMAT #1: 690... WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!
02/28 Real GMAT #2: ...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 08:13
Also get C

From the original data :
Ca=$6/lt; Cb=$4.5/lt
Tb=4/3Ta
Lc=$36/h

Q: which one cheaper?

St(1) Gives Aa/lt:Ab/lt=4:3 -->insuff
St(2) Gives Va=40lt; Lh=100h, only can get Total cost of using paint A no correlation to B -->insuff

St(1)&(2) Found the Total cost of A=40.$6+100.$36
Found the Vb=Aa.Va/Ab=4/3.40
Found the Tb=4/3Ta
Found total cost of B=4/3.40.$4.5+4/3.100.$36 --> suff, hence C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 10:14
"Paint B takes one third longer to apply than paint A" --> Let the time taken for paint A is t then the time taken for paint B is 1.33t

From statement 1,
Ratio of area covered by one liter of paint A to area covered by one liter of paint B is 4:3
So the ratio of paint used to paint the same area for paint A to paint B = 3:4
So cost incurred to paint a given area using paint A = quantity * time * cost
= 3 * t * 6 = 18t
Cost incurred to paint a given area using paint B = 4 * 1.33t * 4.5 = 24t

So it is cheap to use A compared to B

From statement 2,
Quantity of paint used and time taken for paint A are given. Using this cost incurred using A can be deduced but we cannot conclude on the cost for B.
So 2 alone is not sufficient.

Answer is A. Please post OA.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 1

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 03:44
sacmanitin wrote:

1: price of paint per unit of area is the same $6.00:$4.50=4:3 but price of applying paint B is more expensive -> The home owner should buy paint A.
2: no info about how much of paint B required and how much labor required

A is the answer.
Manager
Manager

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 07:34
pl check the resource :Kaplan Math workbook :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 3

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 22:31
OA should be E, as nothing can be deduced from the st1 and st2 individually. Even if we combine the statements getting the area covered by 1 litre of paint we are able to do calculate the cost just for A and not for paint B. Hence, option C is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 6

Re: paint A and paint B [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 23:36
Based on the information given, I also believe the correct answer to be A (as per maratikus' logic). Was there any explanation provided as to why E is the correct answer?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A home owner must pick b/n paint A, which cost $6.00 per [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 15:29
Kaplan workbook says E is the answer. I got confused with the wording of this question too. Any thoughts on what score scale would be for this question (400-500, 600-700, 700+)? For me, I try to keep in mind how to calculate total price. Whenever I see a problems that have "cost per unit" I consider the "total cost = rate x time formula". If I need to compare total cost between paint A and paint B, one of the answer options should give me the time it takes for paint A to complete a task and the time it takes B to complete that same task. Or I should have the total cost but that's what the question is asking. In answer 1, I only get a ratio (remember ratios don't tell you how much the actual area is, which could help) and no time therefore insufficient. Answer 2, gives you how many liters A takes and number of hours. You don't know how many liters you need to complete the area for B though, this answer is insufficient. I think the confusing part of this question is the "1/3 longer to apply than paint A". Could it be that applying paint B can just take 1/3 longer but the total labor B takes is still uncertain? Hopefully this is a higher score question because I would just guess and move on. If it takes over 2 minutes to solve, you've gotten too many possible solutions, and you don't clearly have all your variables in the "total cost = rate x time formula" it's probably E. GMAT guru's feel free to chime in again on this one.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28837 [0], given: 2854

Re: A home owner must pick b/n paint A, which cost $6.00 per [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 01:50
Expert's post
go2013gmat wrote:
Kaplan workbook says E is the answer. I got confused with the wording of this question too. Any thoughts on what score scale would be for this question (400-500, 600-700, 700+)? For me, I try to keep in mind how to calculate total price. Whenever I see a problems that have "cost per unit" I consider the "total cost = rate x time formula". If I need to compare total cost between paint A and paint B, one of the answer options should give me the time it takes for paint A to complete a task and the time it takes B to complete that same task. Or I should have the total cost but that's what the question is asking. In answer 1, I only get a ratio (remember ratios don't tell you how much the actual area is, which could help) and no time therefore insufficient. Answer 2, gives you how many liters A takes and number of hours. You don't know how many liters you need to complete the area for B though, this answer is insufficient. I think the confusing part of this question is the "1/3 longer to apply than paint A". Could it be that applying paint B can just take 1/3 longer but the total labor B takes is still uncertain? Hopefully this is a higher score question because I would just guess and move on. If it takes over 2 minutes to solve, you've gotten too many possible solutions, and you don't clearly have all your variables in the "total cost = rate x time formula" it's probably E. GMAT guru's feel free to chime in again on this one.

This is a poor quality question, so I wouldn't worry about it much.

Check Ian Stewart's comment: a-home-owner-must-pick-between-paint-a-which-costs-82605.html#p912827

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: A home owner must pick b/n paint A, which cost $6.00 per   [#permalink] 12 May 2013, 01:50