Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 11:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2004, 08:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.
(A) believed to be
(B) and that is believed to be
(C) and it is believed to have been
(D) which was, it is believed,
(E) which is believed to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The answer is C..When exactly to use Have been, Had been and had. can anybody point out the subtle differences..thankx....

Last edited by doe007 on 03 May 2013, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 16:45
Hi fistail, the last phrase says :
wingspan of 36 feet,believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

Now,how does 'believed to be' modify wingspan...it clearly talks about the creature and seems ok to me.I think 'Believed' is acting as a participle and modifying Quetzalcoatlus...any thoughts??

Ant thing thats wrong with A is the tense...It should be present perfect as the belief still exists.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 04:53
vineetgupta wrote:
Hi fistail, the last phrase says :
wingspan of 36 feet,believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

Now,how does 'believed to be' modify wingspan...it clearly talks about the creature and seems ok to me.I think 'Believed' is acting as a participle and modifying Quetzalcoatlus...any thoughts??

Ant thing thats wrong with A is the tense...It should be present perfect as the belief still exists.

i dont think it is a matter of whether the belief still exists. if it were, the have would modify beleive (have believed)

i thought abuot this last night and the OA C is correct because we are in the present looking back. thus have been.

to be the worlds largest creature
to have been the worlds largest creature.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... highlight=
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 20:15
D - bad grammar
E - wrong parallel
A - bad grammar
B - 'that' is wrong here
C is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Quetzalcoatlus [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 18:16
the sentence ends with,
the world has ever seen....
this suggests that this is the largest bird seen till date......a continuous process....
also, in option a, 36 feet is followed by believed to be ...use of pronoun it makes it more clear....

so the corrrect option is C

36 feet,and it is believed to have been the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(A), Wharton(W), Columbia(D)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Quetzalcoatlus [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 01:30
bmwhype2 wrote:
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

(A) believed to be

This question has been discussed many times before but there were two different OAs. In my opinion, A is correct because it is a participial phrase modifying the subject in the independent clause.

Can anyone tell me why A is wrong?

According to the stem - the Quetzalcoatlus is very very extinct. So it cannot be. I had been.
Thus it is C.

I would appreciate further comments. Is my reasoning correct??
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 420 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Quetzalcoatlus [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
If you look at the last part of the sentence beginning with "believed to be..." this does not create a complete sentence. It seems to be an appositive such as "Allen, believed to be the smartest person in the world, still only scored a 790 on the GMAT!" There are modification and sentence fragment issues if the appositive "believe to be the smartest man in the world" is put at the end of this sentence such as "Allen still only scored a 790 on the GMAT, believed to be the smartest person in the world."

A cannot be correct because it keeps the phrase at the end where it is unclear what it refers to. What is believe to be the..? It appears that the object modified is wingspan in the manner it is written with A.

C corrects this problem by adding "and it is". This makes the whole thing a compound sentence by making the part after the "," a complete sentence. This is a much better, less confusing way of writing the same idea.

Original Post wrote:

(A) believed to be

x2suresh wrote:
I am still not convinced with C
and go for A.

Any takers?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 21:47
(A) believed to be
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: reptile [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 02:13
ritula wrote:
(A) believed to be - incomplete as verb to be is required.
(B) and that is believed to be - ambiguous referent for that.
(C) and it is believed to have been - similar to B.
(D) which was, it is believed, - incorrect idiom "believe".
- correct idiom "believe to be".
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: reptile [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 20:58
ritula wrote:
(A) believed to be

D and E are out since Which is wrong since it refers to wings
A is wrong

in B that is wrong
C is correct !!!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: reptile [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 06:18
C is correct

To join two independant clauses we can use a semicolon (;) OR a comma followed by coordinating conjunction (and, but etc).
So we are left with choices B and C
'that; in B is ambiguous, so we are left with choice C

HTH
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: reptile [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 06:42
ritula wrote:
OA is C
Any explanations?

here that is not gud but ,and it is correct construction

X is believed to be the best of the lot
X is believed to have been the best of the lot

have been means referriing to past ,here we need a past tense hence C is better !!!
HTH

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 11:20

(A) believed to be

Please explain your answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Dinosaur [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 11:57
reply2spg wrote:
IMO A....

Disagree. C is my pick

A does not fit well because if you take the dependent clause out the sentence falls apart.

D & E use which incorrectly to refer to Q.

B uses that to refer to Q. it is better than that. Hence C
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan, BU School of Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 18:28
(A) believed to be
(D) which was, it is believed

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. ----Russell

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: the Quetzalcoatlus [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 18:50
I think "the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet" is a middleman and can be removed before you try to put the fragments in parallel.

Finding parallel to "A huge flying reptile that died out" , "and that is believed to be" fits in quite well.

Answer : B

Lahoosaher

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: the Quetzalcoatlus [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 21:11
(A) believed to be - Modifier issue
(B) and that is believed to be - this is good because "that" is referring to "reptile" - no pronoun issue. But use of "to be" is wrong because "to be" refers to present tense.
(C) and it is believed to have been - "to be" issue is solved here but erroneous pronoun "it" could refer to "reptile" or "Quetzalcoatlus ".
(D) which was, it is believed - Modifier issue
(E) which is believed to be - Modifier issue

Here B and C could be parallel contender. I do not think this is a credited question.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: the Quetzalcoatlus [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 22:02
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
C

you have to say have been because it is extinct

can you vindicate use of "it"

"it" is not ambiguos here because there is nothing else in the sentence to confuse "it" with.."it" clearly refers to the dinosaur
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: the Quetzalcoatlus [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2009, 04:42
IMO C
(A) believed to be --> believe here will be incorrectly implied as verb for subject Quetzalcoatlus because it is also in past tense as 1st verb had, making the whole sentence having a wrong meaning
(B) and that is believed to be --> that here wrongly modifies for all the clause the Quetza ... 36 feet, while it should modifies only for Quetzacoatlus
(C) and it is believed to have been -->best choice. It clearly refers to Quetzalcoatlus. Is believed here is no problem because it reflects that such action occurs in the present time. Besides, present perfect here is correctly used because the 2nd clause is also parallel with a sub-clause the world has ever seen, modifying for the 2nd clause
(D) which was, it is believed --> which here refers to the nearest noun 36 feet, making the wrong meaning for the whole sentence
(E) which is believed to be -->the same error as D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: the Quetzalcoatlus [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2009, 07:25
IMO B, here are my takes-
(A) believed to be--if we use this, this fragment refers back to wingspan. This means that wingspan of 36 feet is believed to be the largest creature world has ever seen.
(B) and that is believed to be--Correct
(C) and it is believed to have been-- believe to have been?? it is still the largest so incorrect tense.
(D) which was, it is believed--No past tense, we need present tense to show that creature is the largest.
(E) which is believed to be--I almost had this but later figured that we need and before this conjunction, this refers to wingspan again. But I am little doubtful here.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 01:50
This post received
KUDOS
(A) believed to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Lahoosaher

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2009, 01:50