Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2004, 08:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.
(A) believed to be
(B) and that is believed to be
(C) and it is believed to have been
(D) which was, it is believed,
(E) which is believed to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The answer is C..When exactly to use Have been, Had been and had. can anybody point out the subtle differences..thankx....

Last edited by doe007 on 03 May 2013, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 09:16
jitgoel wrote:
lahoosaher wrote:
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.
(A) believed to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Need some expert reply on this. What is the correct answer how do we arrived on it. and why others are worng.

Hi, let me see if I can help on this question.

In option D & E, which is referring to 36 feet rather than the reptile. Hence both the options are wrong.

Confusion mainly is between B & C , in Option B we have "that" again that here refers to wingspan of 36 feet,so this option is also wrong.

While in C we have "it" which clearly refers to the reptile and is the correct answer.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS MIF '14
GMAT 1: Q V0
WE: Business Development (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 11:35
I'm trying to think about other possible options. Can we say ...feet is believed to be...?

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 17

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
I do not think the antecedence of the pronoun ‘it’ is a great problem to decode. Its object is a living creature and a wingspan cannot be a creature. So, the reference falls on the dinosaur

Hi Daagh,

I chose option B as I was not sure that the usage of "have" in option C is correct or not.

Can you please explain "have" is used in which I context here. I don't see any plural subject in the sentence.

Thanks,
Vivek Dixit
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 480 Q32 V25
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 44

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 07:57
3. A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

(A) believed to be
(D) which was, it is believed

Kabilan.K
Kudos is a boost to participate actively and contribute more to the forum :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 12

Re: Pronoun usage and conjunctions : [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

Let's take a look. It seems like we are dealing with modifiers.

3. A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

(A) believed to be
this is inappropriately referring to 36 feet when it should refer to the reptile
Incorrect. What is that referring to? It could refer to the wingspan but we want a pronoun to refer to the reptile
Correct, put the Quetzalcoatlus in for "it" and this reads well
(D) which was, it is believed
Wrong because which is inappropriately referring to 36 feet
Wrong because which is inappropriately referring to 36 feet

Let me know if you need more advice on this.

Happy Studies,

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 59

Re: Pronoun usage and conjunctions : [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 09:28
B and C have the same pronoun issue that/it .... which is ambiguous, but not a deciding factor.

Also Choice C, uses have been incorrect verb tense

Answer choice A seems correct with verb ed modifying preceding noun in main clause (the reptile). Verb modifiers can be placed slightly far off as long as the meaning is unambiguous.

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 12

Re: Pronoun usage and conjunctions : [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 09:36
Expert's post
Hi,

Why is the pronoun ambiguous in C? I think that you are right about the verb issue in C but A is problematic as well. I think that you would have a tough time finding an official example where that structure is acceptable. It could work if it were: The reptile had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the greatest wingspan of that time. Or it could be: The reptile had a wingspan of 36 feet and is believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen. Verbal material is tough to write. My two cents: stay away from non-official SC questions.

Happy Studies,

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 1849 [0], given: 253

Re: Pronoun usage and conjunctions : [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 06:56
Expert's post
When we say, believed to be, we mean to say that whatever is being talked about is currently existing. But those animals are said to have dies along with dinosaurs; so the use of believed to be is incongruous. Believed to have been denotes something that was in the past only and not presently and therefore, the appropriate idiom to use in this case
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 70

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 04:51
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.67

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 02:44
I felt like which was wrong right off the bat. And I dont think Believed can stand apart like that, it is only present particples modifying the noun (i.e. believing) that can do that right?

I also had a problem with ,and that (this isnt correct right). (, and that) is not a completely sentence and can't stand apart right?

But C also turned me off because of the "it" reference. I thought it could have a problem with the antecedent, ie confusion over "it" refering to wingspan or the Quezacodtal.

I think there are three good lessons to take out of this question, but would appreciate if somebody could clarify.
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 11:45
I too have some doubts about this questions -

1. Why is it referring to creature and not its wings? And that is ambiguous ?- As per my present knowledge both "it" and "that" should refer to creature as it is coming after "and" which makes them point to subject.

2. If you say we need to have believed to have been because past participle had is present in previous sentence...we also have "world has ever seen" to make it past participle..we don't need "have been"..

3. have should refer to plural noun..what is it?

hope i get reply to my stupid questions.. :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 12

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 12:36
monarc wrote:
(A) believed to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The answer is C..When exactly to use Have been, Had been and had. can anybody point out the subtle differences..thankx....

Well, D and E are clearly out because which modifier is used incorrectly. In A , believed to be is in-correct modifier. In fact i think it is a dangling modifier as it's not cleared who is doing the belief ?
In B the relative clause doesn't have any antecedent that it modifies. Eliminated.

C is clear and concise. It clearly refers to the reptile and is clearly parallel with the 1st part (A huge flying reptile....blah blah), if you notice that the parallel marker and is used.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 63

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 12:53
rbansal6 wrote:
I too have some doubts about this questions -

(A) believed to be

1. Why is it referring to creature and not its wings? And that is ambiguous ?- As per my present knowledge both "it" and "that" should refer to creature as it is coming after "and" which makes them point to subject.

2. If you say we need to have believed to have been because past participle had is present in previous sentence...we also have "world has ever seen" to make it past participle..we don't need "have been"..

3. have should refer to plural noun..what is it?

hope i get reply to my stupid questions.. :roll:

@RBansal - I have marked above in Bold & RED the Subject that we are talking bout - Now if now when you try to read through the options A, B &C, can you see how in option C we have the structure such that we first described the length of the wing-span, & went ON TO ALSO MENTION that it is believed to be the longest etc etc.... This "continuing on to explain other features" of the subject is what is necessary to remove ambiguity.

Option A, B, D & E also are in the wrong Tense (Believed to be = Present).

Hope it helps.!

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

CAT Tests
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 22:11
Just for the sake of clarity for people getting confused between B and C.. both the tenses can be applied here. The problem is with the pronoun.

First (, and) combination points the beginning of an Independent clause unless it is not the last element of a parallel list
Second the pronouns that and it both correctly points to the creature but "that" is a relative pronoun and it can only begin a dependent clause. "that" cannot begin an independent clause where as "it" can.. that is why "it" and hence option C is correct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 24 May 2014, 01:35
Hi,

Though I have mistakenly choose option B..But here is the explanation...

A) ''believed to be'' does not sound right and lacks a pronoun too

B) the use of ''that'' does not substitute for the right pronoun...

C) has ''it'' pronoun reference and also the use of ''have been'' suits for the use ''the world has seen ''......the correct use of present perfect tense as it is still believed the fact...

D) which is not appropriate
E) which is not appropriate.......

Ans is C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 105

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 23:24
monarc wrote:
(A) believed to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Meaning:
the Quetzalcoatlus:
- is a huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago
- had a wingspan of 36 feet
- is believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen

A: Lack of "is": The Quetzalcoatlus can't believe itself to be the largest flying creature. Run-on sentence because it lacks of "and" --> incorrect
D&E: using of "which" refers to wingspan --> incorrect since wingspan can't be "largest flying creature" --> incorrect
B: correct use of "and" but "that" is awkward.
C: (1) correct use of "and" to make complete sentence --> correct

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2014, 23:24