Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [11]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT Major
Schools:ISB - Co 2013
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V44
GPA: 2.5-3.0
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Send PM
Re: a is an odd integer and a ≠ -b. Is a^2/|b+a| > a-b ? [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
nades09 wrote:
a is an odd integer and a <>-b

Is \(\frac{a^2}{|b+a|}> a-b ?\)

(1) ab=0
(2)\(a^3>a\)

PLease explain the shortest way to solve this

Thanks
NAD

Alternate approach:
I am assuming a <>-b means 'a is not equal to -b' since a + b is in the denominator so it should not be 0.
First thing that strikes me about the question stem is that \(\frac{a^2}{|b+a|}\) is always positive or 0 (if a is 0) while a - b can be +ve, 0 or -ve. I do not know if this observation will help me here but it does give me some level of confidence.

Stmnt 1: ab = 0 means either a = 0 or b = 0 but not both since a should not be equal to -b.
If a = 0, question becomes is 0 > - b. We do not know. If b is positive, 0 will be greater than -b. If b is negative 0 will not be greater than -b. So not sufficient.
Note: I do not need to consider 'if b = 0' since already I have both possibilities, a YES and a NO.

Thats a wrong assumption. Question tells us a is an odd integer.

Stmnt 2: \(a^3>a\). This only happens when a > 1 or when -1 < a < 0. Since a is odd and positive integer, a > 1. This alone is again not sufficient since the answer YES or NO depends on the value of b.

Using both together, b = 0 and a is odd positive integer. Question stem becomes is |a| > a? Answer is definite NO. (They are both equal.) Hence sufficient.
Answer (C).

In equation
\(\frac{a^2}{|b+a|} + b-a > 0\),
the \(b+a\) part can be either positive or negetive, so we must consider both to remove the MOD. The two conditions we get, after applying a little algebra, are:
\(\frac{b^2}{b+a} > 0\) --------------------------------E1
and
\(\frac{b^2 - 2a^2}{b+a} > 0\)-------------------------E2
any statement must satisfy both the equations to be considered good.

S1 gives us b=0 (since a is an odd integer), putting that in E1 and E2 above we get:
E1: LHS = 0, RHS = 0. Answers the question.
E2: \(-2a>0 ?\). Does not answer the question.
S1 Not sufficient

S2 gives us a>0, putting that in E1 and E2 above does not answer the question.
S2 Not sufficient

Putting b=0 and a>0 in E1 and E2 above:
E1: LHS = 0, RHS = 0. Answers the question.
E2: \(-2a>0 ?\)(where a is positive int). Answers the question.

Both together are sufficient. C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thanks Karishma and Stuart. Yes <> means "not equal to". It had a long solution and wanted to know from experts like you if this resembles a GMAT Question. I got it from GMATfix question bank.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nades09 wrote:
Thanks Karishma and Stuart. Yes <> means "not equal to". It had a long solution and wanted to know from experts like you if this resembles a GMAT Question. I got it from GMATfix question bank.

Yes, this question could resemble an actual GMAT question. Definitely interesting! Though, it is a higher level question, let us say 49 and above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,Strategy, Marketing
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
nades09 wrote:
a is an odd integer and a <>-b

Is \(\frac{a^2}{|b+a|}> a-b ?\)

(1) ab=0
(2)\(a^3>a\)

PLease explain the shortest way to solve this

Thanks
NAD

Alternate approach:
I am assuming a <>-b means 'a is not equal to -b' since a + b is in the denominator so it should not be 0.
First thing that strikes me about the question stem is that \(\frac{a^2}{|b+a|}\) is always positive or 0 (if a is 0) while a - b can be +ve, 0 or -ve. I do not know if this observation will help me here but it does give me some level of confidence.

Stmnt 1: ab = 0 means either a = 0 or b = 0 but not both since a should not be equal to -b.
If a = 0, question becomes is 0 > - b. We do not know. If b is positive, 0 will be greater than -b. If b is negative 0 will not be greater than -b. So not sufficient.
Note: I do not need to consider 'if b = 0' since already I have both possibilities, a YES and a NO.

Stmnt 2: \(a^3>a\). This only happens when a > 1 or when -1 < a < 0. Since a is odd and positive integer, a > 1. This alone is again not sufficient since the answer YES or NO depends on the value of b.

Using both together, b = 0 and a is odd positive integer. Question stem becomes is |a| > a? Answer is definite NO. (They are both equal.) Hence sufficient.
Answer (C).

Hi I have a question on solving \(a^3>a\). I see that you do it directly, but then if I need to solve it ->
\(a^3>a\) => \(a^3-a>0\) =>\(a(a^2-1)>0\) => thats means either a>0 (i) or \(a^2>1\) -> a>+/- 1 => a>1 or a<-1 (ii)
Final value for a from (i) and (ii) => a<-1 and a>1

@Karishma -Please confirm whether this solution to a is correct by inequality method.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
oldstudent wrote:
Hi I have a question on solving \(a^3>a\). I see that you do it directly, but then if I need to solve it ->
\(a^3>a\) => \(a^3-a>0\) =>\(a(a^2-1)>0\) => that means either a>0 (i) or \(a^2>1\) -> a>+/- 1 => a>1 or a<-1 (ii)
Final value for a from (i) and (ii) => a<-1 and a>1

@Karishma -Please confirm whether this solution to a is correct by inequality method.

The problem lies in your interpretation as shown by the colored part.
Think ab > 0. When will this happen? When either both a and b are positive or both a and b are negative.
Similarly when ab < 0, we say that either a < 0 and b > 0 or a > 0 and b < 0 i.e. one and only one of a and b is negative.
Only when ab = 0, can we say that either a = 0 or b = 0 or both are 0.

Here is how you will solve the inequality:
\(a^3>a\) => \(a^3-a>0\) =>\(a(a^2-1)>0\)=>\((a-1)a(a + 1)>0\)
For \((a-1)a(a + 1)\) to be positive, either all (a - 1), a and (a + 1) should be positive, or exactly two of them should be negative. Then the entire product will be positive.
To deal with this easily, take them on the number line. Plot 1, 0 and -1 on the number line. Now your number line is divided into 4 sections. Start from the rightmost section. That will always be positive. The next section will be negative, next positive again, next negative again and so on...
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg
Ques1.jpg [ 3.59 KiB | Viewed 5547 times ]

The green portions show where the expression will be positive and blue portions show where it will be negative.
So you get x > 1 or -1 < x < 0.
For detailed explanation of why this method works, check out my earlier post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-trick-91482.html#p804990
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:

It is mentioned in the question stem that "a is an odd integer". How can we consider a scenario "either a = 0..." a cannot be 0, right?

Please correct me if I am missing something here?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM