Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A is the first term in a set of consecutive numbers which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A is the first term in a set of consecutive numbers which [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2004, 08:16
A is the first term in a set of consecutive numbers which consists of n terms. Which of the following expresses the last term of the set?
a. A+n
b. 2A+n
c. (2A+n)/2
d. A+n-1
e. A+2n
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Algebramisc#9 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2004, 15:36
batliwala wrote:
A is the first term in a set of consecutive numbers which consists of n terms. Which of the following expresses the last term of the set?
a. A+n
b. 2A+n
c. (2A+n)/2
d. A+n-1
e. A+2n

I have a question. Does consecutive numbers means consecutive integers? What would we call numbers 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4? Can they also be called consecutive numbers? If so, then I think the above question should specify the word "consecutive integers"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2004, 16:46
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4,............. are called decimal numbers and not just numbers. Integers are numbers which are both +ve an -ve like -2,-1,0,1,2......... . 0 is neither +ve nor -ve number.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2004, 04:02
ans is D. plug in A= 1 and n terms = 4 will give a last term that is 4. All choices except D can be eliminated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2004, 07:19
rakesh1239 wrote:
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4,............. are called decimal numbers and not just numbers. Integers are numbers which are both +ve an -ve like -2,-1,0,1,2......... . 0 is neither +ve nor -ve number.

Rakesh,

When the problem statement uses just the word "numbers", you can consider both integers as well as decimal numbers. You can not assume the either way. You can consider integers only when the word "integer" is explicitly used in the problem statement. Here, in this problem the word "integer" is not used. So it could be either integer or decimal numbers. I agree that answer is D but only if we assume the numbers to be integers. So I just think that the problme statement should have used the word "integers".
  [#permalink] 20 Feb 2004, 07:19