Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is perp

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is perp [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 02:57
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (02:25) correct 50% (01:25) wrong based on 18 sessions
A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is perpendicular to level ground. The bottom of the ladder is 7 feet from the base of the wall. If the top of the ladder slips down 4 feet, how many feet will the bottom of the ladder slip?

(A) 4
(B) 5
(C) 8
(D) 9
(E) 15

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: a-ladder-25-feet-long-is-leaning-against-a-wall-that-is-130364.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 05:12
I cannot think of any faster way to do it.

However, here are some tips when dealing with phthagorus theorem and in general, problems involving sqauring numbers.

1. Finding the sqaure of a number ending in 5 (such as 15, 25,35,45, etc).

The answer has two parts, Part A and Part B

Step a: Take whatever is there to the left 5 in the original number and multiply it by one more. the product is part A.

Step b: Take 5^2 = 25 and write it down on the right hand side, this is part B.

eg: 15^2 = (1*2) 25 = 225
25^2 = (2*3) 25 = 625
35^2 = (3*4) 25 = 1225
45^2 = (4*5) 25 = 2025
etc.

95^2 = (9*10)25 = 9025

115^2 = (11*12) 25 = 13225

2. Finding sqaures of any two digit number

Note that (x+y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2

This is a very powerful algebric formula and can be effectively used to find the sqaure of any two digit number.

for example, 32^2

it has three parts - part A, part B, part C

part A - x^2 which is 3^2 = 9
part B - 2xy = 2*3*2 =12
part C - y^2 = 2^2 = 4

the answer is (9)(12)(4) = 1024

when putting together ABC, you need to add from right to left with any carry forward.

eg: 56^2 = (25)(60)(36) = 3136

eg: Small numbers are very trivial, 12^2=(1)(4)(4) = 144, 13^2 = (1)(6)(9) = 169

eg: 43^2 = (16)(24)(9) = 1849

Now combing back to the original problem:

it is good to know some basic phthagorun triplets (integers that form the sides of a right triangle), 3,4,5, 5,12,13, 7,24,25, 9,40,41 etc..

the follow a specific pattern, 3^2 = 4+5, 5^2 = 12+13, 7^2=24+25, 9^2=40+41 and so on (next one is 11,60,61).

(Note that there are other types of phthagorun triplets which do not satisfy the above condition).

-mathguru
_________________

http://www.askmathguru.com

GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Posts: 1270
Location: Madrid
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 06:35
Quote:
it is good to know some basic phthagorun triplets (integers that form the sides of a right triangle), 3,4,5, 5,12,13, 7,24,25, 9,40,41 etc..

This is precisely how to do the above question quickly! Don't forget 8:15:17
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 08:29
Excellent tips! Thanks guys. BTW, the OA is C.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1270
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 08:42
Not really.. there are no tricks when it comes to unusual right angle triangles. The only thing that you can do is remember the usual ones
3-4-5 (and its multiples) etc. And use the quick computation techniques above...

As for this, it should be pretty quick to calculate.

625-49 = 576 (has to be 24 or 16.. ends in 6).

which gives 625-400 = 225 = 15 x 15.
15 = 7+8..
Answer : (C). 8

Last edited by haas_mba07 on 21 Jul 2006, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1270
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 08:52
Great information gmatmathguru... Thanks/

Could you clarify a little more as to how to get the sum after the x^2, 2xy, y^2 terms are calculated.


gmatmathguru wrote:
the answer is (9)(12)(4) = 1024

when putting together ABC, you need to add from right to left with any carry forward.

eg: 56^2 = (25)(60)(36) = 3136

eg: Small numbers are very trivial, 12^2=(1)(4)(4) = 144, 13^2 = (1)(6)(9) = 169

eg: 43^2 = (16)(24)(9) = 1849

Now combing back to the original problem:

it is good to know some basic phthagorun triplets (integers that form the sides of a right triangle), 3,4,5, 5,12,13, 7,24,25, 9,40,41 etc..

the follow a specific pattern, 3^2 = 4+5, 5^2 = 12+13, 7^2=24+25, 9^2=40+41 and so on (next one is 11,60,61).

(Note that there are other types of phthagorun triplets which do not satisfy the above condition).

-mathguru
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 09:12
sure.


eg: 32^2

You write down (x^2)(2xy)(y^2) terms individually.

in this case, (9), (12), (4) respectively.

Once, you have this, the process is very simple. You add them from right to left with anything above 9 (10 or more) as a carry (that you do in addition).

Step1:

Start with the (y^2) term which is 4 to begin with. (9), (12), (4)

So, I start with 4 first. my answer looks like XXX4. Because 4 is less than 10, I do not have a carry.


Step2:

(9), (12), (4)


Next, take the 2xy term which is 12. Because 12 is more than 10, you put down 2 and take 1 as the carry.

So, up to now, you have XX24 and 1 as the carry to the next step.

(9), (1 2), (4)

Step 3:

I have a 9 and 1 as the carry from step 2. I add 9 and 1 to get 10.

(9), (1 2), (4)

PUtting all three steps together, I have 1024 as the answer.


when putting together ABC, you need to add from right to left with any carry forward.

eg: 56^2 = (25)(60)(36) = 3136

Step 1: (25)(60)(3 6) and 3 is the carry

Step 2: (25) (60+3) 6

which is (25) (6 3) 6 and 6 is the carry

Step 3: (25+6) 36 = 3136

eg: Small numbers are very trivial, 12^2=(1)(4)(4) = 144, 13^2 = (1)(6)(9) = 169

eg: 43^2 = (16)(24)(9) = 1849

-mathguru
_________________

http://www.askmathguru.com

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1270
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 09:21
Got it!! Thanks so much... This is a great way for quick squared computations...

gmatmathguru wrote:
sure.


eg: 32^2

You write down (x^2)(2xy)(y^2) terms individually.

in this case, (9), (12), (4) respectively.

Once, you have this, the process is very simple. You add them from right to left with anything above 9 (10 or more) as a carry (that you do in addition).

Step1:

Start with the (y^2) term which is 4 to begin with. (9), (12), (4)

So, I start with 4 first. my answer looks like XXX4. Because 4 is less than 10, I do not have a carry.


Step2:

(9), (12), (4)


Next, take the 2xy term which is 12. Because 12 is more than 10, you put down 2 and take 1 as the carry.

So, up to now, you have XX24 and 1 as the carry to the next step.

(9), (1 2), (4)

Step 3:

I have a 9 and 1 as the carry from step 2. I add 9 and 1 to get 10.

(9), (1 2), (4)

PUtting all three steps together, I have 1024 as the answer.


when putting together ABC, you need to add from right to left with any carry forward.

eg: 56^2 = (25)(60)(36) = 3136

Step 1: (25)(60)(3 6) and 3 is the carry

Step 2: (25) (60+3) 6

which is (25) (6 3) 6 and 6 is the carry

Step 3: (25+6) 36 = 3136

eg: Small numbers are very trivial, 12^2=(1)(4)(4) = 144, 13^2 = (1)(6)(9) = 169

eg: 43^2 = (16)(24)(9) = 1849

-mathguru
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2923
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 10:00
You guys may want to check this out for squares:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25664

This is vedic mathematics. For who don't know about Vedic mathematics: Vedas are the ancient Indian books written thousands of years ago. These books contain many things that include quick mathematics tricks. The tricks in above link are just the tip of the iceberg.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1270
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 10:03
I am actually reading a book on Vedic Mathematics. Recently brought it back on my trip to India... I am not sure how much it will help me on my GMAT but a great read on different techniques they devised...


ps_dahiya wrote:
You guys may want to check this out for squares:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25664

This is vedic mathematics. For who don't know about Vedic mathematics: Vedas are the ancient Indian books written thousands of years ago. These books contain many things that include quick mathematics tricks. The tricks in above link are just the tip of the iceberg.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2923
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 10:22
haas_mba07 wrote:
I am actually reading a book on Vedic Mathematics. Recently brought it back on my trip to India... I am not sure how much it will help me on my GMAT but a great read on different techniques they devised...


ps_dahiya wrote:
You guys may want to check this out for squares:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25664

This is vedic mathematics. For who don't know about Vedic mathematics: Vedas are the ancient Indian books written thousands of years ago. These books contain many things that include quick mathematics tricks. The tricks in above link are just the tip of the iceberg.


They will help you only if you practice practice and practice using those tricks. During my graduation, I used to read vedic mathematics in my spare time and I became so proficient that I was able to calculate A/B in few seconds accurate to 3 decimal places, where A is any number upto 1000 and B any number upto 30.

They may help on GMAT a little but not that much. GMAT is not about tedious calculations but its all about tricks and techniques.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 23:44
I dont know any shorter method. But it took me less than a minute.
What you can do is memorize some important squares.

Height of wall till ladder = (25^2 - 7^2)^1/2 = (625-49)^1/2 = 576^1/2 = 24

New height = 20

New distance from the wall to the base of the ladder
= (25^2 - 20^2)^1/2
= (225)^1/2
= 15
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 447
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2007, 09:23
ps_dahiya,
Thank you very much. I have never heard about vedic mathematics before. It's very interesting to know.

gmatmathguru,
thank you for your explanations. Great shortcuts and really useful for GMAT.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 122
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 12:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
I am reviving this message because I think it has a lot of useful info. Also, it is really simple if you know your pythagorean triplets.

The triplet called into play here is a 7:24:25 triangle.

The base is 7, the height up the wall is 24 and the length of the ladder is 25. Now, decrease the height by 4 feet and you get the new height of 20. The ladder length stays the same so you can set up and solve the follwing equation for the base:

20^2 + b^2 = 25^2 --> 400 + b^2 = 625
b^2 = 225 --> b=15

Now we subtract 7 from 15 and we find that the base moved 8 ft!

Answer: C
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 1559
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: PS: Ladder [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 22:46
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18514
Followers: 3193

Kudos [?]: 21352 [0], given: 2546

Re: A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is perp [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 23:56
Expert's post
A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is perpendicular to level ground. The bottom of the ladder is 7 feet from the base of the wall. If the top of the ladder slips down 4 feet, how many feet will the bottom of the ladder slip?

(A) 4
(B) 5
(C) 8
(D) 9
(E) 15

We have a right triangle with the hypotenuse of 25 feet and the base of 7 feet, hence its the height is \sqrt{25^2-7^2}=24 feet;

Since the top of the ladder slips down 4 feet then the new height becomes 24-2=20 feet and the new base becomes \sqrt{25^2-20^2}=15 feet;

Question basically asks about the difference between the old base and the new base, which is 15-7=8 feet.

Answer: C.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: a-ladder-25-feet-long-is-leaning-against-a-wall-that-is-130364.html
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is perp   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2014, 23:56
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is boomtangboy 5 07 Apr 2012, 19:44
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic A certain 13m ladder is resting against a wall of height X rathoreaditya81 16 05 Dec 2009, 10:51
2 Two Triangles Leaning Against Same Wall - question capstone207 5 22 Sep 2009, 23:10
A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is yogachgolf 3 27 Nov 2007, 15:23
A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is mandy 4 01 Jun 2005, 23:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A ladder 25 feet long is leaning against a wall that is perp

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.