Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 19:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(A) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(B) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, university-press books have won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950.
(C) Increasingly influential as a large sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(D) Since 1950, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards have gone to university-press books.
(E) Since 1950, university-press books, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards from then on.

would E be correct if it were to be modified as follows ?
Since 1950, university-press books, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, has won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards from then on.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 19:54
Straight B.

(A) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books. - misplaced modifier. OUT
(B) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, university-press books have won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950. - CORRECT.
(C) Increasingly influential as a large sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books. - misplaced modifier. OUT
(D) Since 1950, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards have gone to university-press books. - dangling modifier. OUT.
(E) Since 1950, university-press books, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards from then on. - Since 1950 - from then on. Redundant. OUT
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 04:16
Only B seems to make any sense. University-press books, I assume, is the name of a publishing house or something similar.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2007, 10:56
B) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, university-press books have won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950.

Is 'university-press books' singular or plural?

sound like a name of the company to me hence singular then why use 'have' here?

BTW OA is B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 08:23
buzzgaurav wrote:
Easy B. Typical modifier problem.

Are you convinced with the use of 'have' in 'B'? Is 'university-press books' a singular or a plural? To me it reads like a name of singular business entity...

I'm bit confused.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 18:33
asaf wrote:
buzzgaurav wrote:
Easy B. Typical modifier problem.

Are you convinced with the use of 'have' in 'B'? Is 'university-press books' a singular or a plural? To me it reads like a name of singular business entity...

I'm bit confused.

The plural "have" is coming here because of books. University press might be the name of the publinshing house.

If I rephrase the above to :
University-press books constitute a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing,

Here I can say that the "books" of University press constitute ....

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: National and American Book awards [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 21:02
It is clear that university-press books is the large and increasingly influential sector of publishing. The answer choice that most properly presents this fact and the rest of the information in the original stem is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: National and American Book awards [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 17:04
prude_sb wrote:
A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(A) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(B) A large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, university-press books have won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950.
(C) Increasingly influential as a large sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards since 1950 have gone to university-press books.
(D) Since 1950, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards have gone to university-press books.
(E) Since 1950, university-press books, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards from then on.

Since 1950, university-press books, a large and increasingly influential sector of publishing, has won 20 percent of all the National and American Book awards from then on.

Definitely B. I think E is wrong because "from then on" is repetitive when used after "Since 1950" they trick you by putting a whole bunch of goobly gob in between. Also I think the disjointed nature of (E) is not good.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 01:54
But isn't "university-press books" a "sector of publishing"?

If yes, sector of publishing which is called university-press books HAS won?

From the other hand, E is not perfect also. Must be HAS WON and I also don't like FROM THEN ON
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: National and American Book awards [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 03:07
buckkitty wrote:
prude_sb wrote:

Definitely B. I think E is wrong because "from then on" is repetitive when used after "Since 1950" they trick you by putting a whole bunch of goobly gob in between. Also I think the disjointed nature of (E) is not good.

Good point with "from then on" didn't see it earlier

would it also be safe to say that "from then on" is too far away from what it's supposed to modify?
Re: SC: National and American Book awards   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2007, 03:07