Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 07:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (01:30) correct 29% (00:39) wrong based on 64 sessions
10. A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming year should boost new construction dollars by several billion dollars, making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago.
(A) making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago
(B) and make the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago
(C) making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than it was five years ago
(D) to make the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago
(E) in making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than it as five years ago

I picked correct answer C, but I need to understand why A is wrong here. can some one explain it for me?

I was left with choices A and C, but I thought comparision in A is also correct. "it was" is not automatically implied here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 07:47
wrong comparisons with five yrs ago.... it has to be " than it was five...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 08:48
chetan2u wrote:
wrong comparisons with five yrs ago.... it has to be " than it was five...

chetan2u,

is 'it was' not implied here? some of the comparisions after 'than' imply these kinda structures right? definitely C is clear for this question, but what if I have some really bad option for C and A stays as it is, can 'A' be eligible?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 14:07
B; why not?
should, and make... the argument is speculative not certain.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 14:23
DestinyChild wrote:
B; why not?
should, and make... the argument is speculative not certain.

you have a comma before the 'and make..' ,so you need a subject after the 'and'. So this option is wrong.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 17:16
Wrong comparison.
Five years ago vs industry's health

A kudos would greatly help :)

Tuhin

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 14:06
C is best for the correct comparison of economic health with the economic health five years ago.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 10:47
I would go with A.

For C - don't you think it is violating 'possessive poison' rule? Pronoun 'it' cannot go inside the 'industry's economic health'. Hence incorrect referent.

Can someone please explain why still C is correct and not A. Thanks.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 09:48
amp0201 wrote:
I would go with A.

For C - don't you think it is violating 'possessive poison' rule? Pronoun 'it' cannot go inside the 'industry's economic health'. Hence incorrect referent.

Can someone please explain why still C is correct and not A. Thanks.

It actually does refer to the industry's economic health.. (you are thinking it to intend to industry).. C compares the health now to health 5 years ago... So correct...

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 20:55
i m still not sure why not option 'B'
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 23:53
wrong comparison in everyone except C.
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 01:10
likhitverma wrote:
i m still not sure why not option 'B'

Let me try to explain this to you..

10. A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming year should boost new construction dollars by several billion dollars, making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago.
(A) making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago
(B) and make the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago
(C) making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than it was five years ago

If you analyse choice C, you can notice that the first part of the sentence (A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming year should boost new construction dollars by several billion dollars) seem to be a cause leading to the effect which is later part of the sentence ( making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than it was five years ago) , in short the answer choice C is the outcome of what has happened in the non underlined part. so , the second part of sentence ( answer choice ) is an outcome of the first part but not an purposefully intended outcome.

Whereas , if you see the choice B , the answer choice starts with AND , and this suggests that the first part of the sentence is done with an intention to achieve the objective (answer choice ) and the answer choice has to be an intended outcome not a natural outcome.

I know it's very thin line between both.. but if you actually read the same 2/3 times .. you will get the gist of it.

I could be wrong in my explanation.. .and if anyone feels my understanding is wrong.... i am open to suggestions.

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 01:29
I picked A too, but here goes:

Idiomatic usage --
"making it much more robust than before" (sounds okay)
"making it much more robust than yesterday" (doesn't sound right)
"making it much more robust than it was yesterday" (sounds okay here)

Hence I see why C is correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just how my tongue reads it.

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 06:24
(C)

(D) to make the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago
(E) in making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than it as five years ago

Raptor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 99

Re: A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 22:35
Can some one help me to understand the comparison why it is needed? Even without it meaning is properly conveyed.. can anyone point the two logical ways in which you can make the comparison?

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 12

Re: A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 23:16
skamal7 wrote:
Can some one help me to understand the comparison why it is needed? Even without it meaning is properly conveyed.. can anyone point the two logical ways in which you can make the comparison?

The comparison is needed because the sentence is comparing the present health of the construction industry to what it was 5 years ago. usually comparison question have markers like :more then...X greater then y etc..you wil start to pick them as you practice more....
Now in comparison the most common type of error seen is the comparison of wrong things. Ex in this passage the economy is compared with time 5 years ago. that's not corrects you need to mention the subject to have the correct comparison . So, that's why A is incorrect.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1155 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 23:18
skamal7 wrote:

A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming year should boost new construction dollars by several billion dollars, making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than five years ago.

In C you are comparing the economic healts with the economic health 5 years ago.
In A you are comparing the economic healts with 5 years ago.

(C) making the construction industry’s economic health much more robust than it (economic health) was five years ago

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 22:11
only C compares the rise that is now with the rise which occured five years ago
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-17-2014

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 23:40
Clearly 'C'
making in C tells about the result when construction dollar increases, so no need to change the construction: "making the construction..".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 102

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 23:41
ugimba wrote:

I picked correct answer C, but I need to understand why A is wrong here. can some one explain it for me?

I was left with choices A and C, but I thought comparision in A is also correct. "it was" is not automatically implied here?

I think that A is also correct but because C is clearer so we should choose C. If the answer choices didn't have C, we could choose A.

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Re: A large rise in the number of housing starts in the coming   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2014, 23:41