Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A law passed five years ago requires all new cars sold in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A law passed five years ago requires all new cars sold in [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 06:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A law passed five years ago requires all new cars sold in Mauritania to be equipped with catalytic converters which decrease vehicular emissions of nitrogen dioxide. Emissions of nitrogen dioxide have significantly decreased throughout Mauritania, except in one particular city. Over the past 5 years, this particular city has had the highest rate of new car sales of any city in Mauritania, yet its nitrogen dioxide emissions remain unchanged from those prior to the passage of the above referenced law.

Which of the following best explains the discrepancy?

A. A higher percentage of cars made prior to the enactment of the law operate in the above city
B. The rate of new car sales has dropped moderately since the passage of the law
C. Nitrogen dioxide is not the only pollutant whose emissions have decreased since the passage of the law
D. The referenced law did not require owners of cars made before its passage to retrofit their cars with catalytic converters
E. The average drive time of the average car trip in this particular city does not allow sufficient drive time for the catalytic converters to reach optimal efficiency
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 06:39
Clearly its E.

If catalytic converters can not reach to their efficiancy there is no use of catalytic converter and the pollution will remain same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help On this CR-Pollution/Catalytic Converter [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 06:51
jamesrwright3 wrote:
A law passed five years ago requires all new cars sold in Mauritania to be equipped with catalytic converters which decrease vehicular emissions of nitrogen dioxide. Emissions of nitrogen dioxide have significantly decreased throughout Mauritania, except in one particular city. Over the past 5 years, this particular city has had the highest rate of new car sales of any city in Mauritania, yet its nitrogen dioxide emissions remain unchanged from those prior to the passage of the above referenced law.

A. A higher percentage of cars made prior to the enactment of the law operate in the above city
B. The rate of new car sales has dropped moderately since the passage of the law
C. Nitrogen dioxide is not the only pollutant whose emissions have decreased since the passage of the law
D. The referenced law did not require owners of cars made before its passage to retrofit their cars with catalytic converters
E. The average drive time of the average car trip in this particular city does not allow sufficient drive time for the catalytic converters to reach optimal efficiency

Between A and D, I pick A.
the only way to explain the unchange level of ND emissions is to find some other factor that would increase ND even though the new law decreases ND. >>higher number of older cars in this cit. So even though new cars emit less ND, more older cars will make up the difference.

B-not concerned about total new car sales, only with sales in the one city
C-other pollutants -out of scope
D-very close. But we cannot say that this has a direct effect on this city. What if they do not have any cars older than the new law?
E-optimal efficiency? to vague to explain discrepency
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 07:01
I got this question from another board and I said A as well
Many other people thought E
Actually I was the only one that thought A worked and E didn't

Here is the reason E doesn't work for me..

Say the average drive time in the city with the highest pollution is 15 minutes compared to a 30 minutes in the other cities. Say for example the optimum time to hit catalytic converter efficiency is 15 minutes. So, for the first 15 minutes in ANY city you are going to get the SAME AMOUNT of nitrogen output. Hence, the cities with the longer drive time would actually have MORE pollution since they would be putting out the same amount as the city with the highest pollution for the first 15 minutes at least and then still putting more out (but at a lesser rate) for the next 15 minutes.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 09:46
I will also go with A.

E simply says that the efficiency is not optimal. It does not mean that the converters do not work. Which indicates that there is another reason,unrelated to the sale/operation new cars, for the discrepancy.

A supplies this reason.

My Profile/GMAT/MBA Story
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t59345

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 14:36
A for the same reason, also by POE..

E is talking about efficiency, which does not help.. as an analogy so what if the bulb is dimly lit, it is still lighting the place.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 18:17
I am glad you guys agree with me
I was beginning to feel dumb!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2006, 05:15
I vote for A.

So, you don't have OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2006, 09:47
I had chosen A too
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2006, 13:48
Well there was no OE on the board where I got it from
I had seen this question somewhere before though-not sure where
Maybe the RC 1000 set? or on another boards "Super Good" gmat examples...I won't name the board but it helps you get a top score (reverse the words)
Everyone on there thought it was E. I was one of two who thought it was A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help On this CR-Pollution/Catalytic Converter [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2007, 13:16
By POE and comparing/contrasting answer choices: B is not so relevant. C is rather irrelevant. D is not so relevant either. Remember that the best answer is the most direct path between the question and the stem. E could explain the discrepancy. A as well.

jamesrwright3 wrote:

Re: Help On this CR-Pollution/Catalytic Converter   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2007, 13:16