Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 09:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 08:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:34) correct 50% (02:29) wrong based on 4 sessions
A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax credit to consumers who purchase a newly constructed home. The tax credit was intended to stimulate the local economy by creating a higher demand for new houses and spurring the creation of jobs in construction and design. However, since the law was passed, the growth in sales of newly constructed homes has dropped each year, from 15% to 10% to 5%. Obviously, this law has had little or no effect on the sale of newly constructed homes.

Which of the following must be true if the above conclusion is to be properly drawn?

New house sales are directly tied to personal income.
New house sales cannot increase by more than 6% next year.
If the tax credit had been 50%, there would have been a larger increase in new house sales
Without the tax credit, new house sales would not have been significantly lower.
Tax credits for specific purchases are usually ineffective in influencing consumers to make those purchases.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 09:26
Tough question - I really don't like any of these.
There are alot of tricks in this question - %'s and a shift of scope Construction of Homes to Sales of Homes.
I would have looked for one of these to show up in the answer choices but I don't think either did

A) Not mentioned in the passage
B) Irrelevant
C) Hard to say looks possible, I gave it a small check mark
E) Out of scope, now talking about other products

I am going with D) By this being true then it confirms the point that the tax credit was inefficient. If this is not a true then the New House sales could have been 3%, 2% and 1% without the tax credit which goes against the conclusion.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 09:37
IMO E.
Statement D implies the law has effect but it is negative effect in terms of sales i.e. tax credit resulted in the decrease of sales. But as per the question the law has little or no effect. So D cannot be the answer.
Please post OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 11:51
IMO D....e says usually.....not always....cant just go on some prediction ...Perhaps...OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 00:11
between D and E... i go with E since housing purchases can be referred to as 'specific purchases'.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 06:36
i agree with Aleehsgonji.
with (D), the tax credit actually hurt the sales. it does not support the conclusion that the tax credit had no effect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 13:19
OA is D.

Can anyone elaborate what is wrong with the different answers?
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 15:06
D

New house sales are directly tied to personal income. - income not talked about
New house sales cannot increase by more than 6% next year. -didn't say anything about 6%
If the tax credit had been 50%, there would have been a larger increase in new house sales - weakens not really related...
Without the tax credit, new house sales would not have been significantly lower.
Tax credits for specific purchases are usually ineffective in influencing consumers to make those purchases. -too vague, usually? that leaves a possibility that it might happen....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 15:39
I will go with D

In must be true questions , answer must match with the information present in the argument

E is an assumption and will be valid if we change the question to assumption question

Always tag your question

Re: A law passed in Rockville three years ago allows a 30% tax   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2009, 15:39