Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 23:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:23) correct 33% (00:43) wrong based on 13 sessions
A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care for their children will harm the economic competitiveness of our nation’s businesses. Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion of the argument above?
(A) A parental-leave law will serve to strengthen the family as a social institution in this country.
(B) Many businesses in this country already offer employees some form of parental leave.
(C) Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.
(D) Only companies with one hundred or more employees would be subject to the proposed parental-leave law.
(E) In most polls, a majority of citizens say they favor passage of a parental-leave law.

If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?
(A) If D, then A.
(B) If not B, then not C.
(C) If not D, then not A.
(D) If D, then E.
(E) If not A, then not D.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 107 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 00:57
This post received
KUDOS
rlevochkin wrote:
A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care for their children will harm the economic competitiveness of our nation’s businesses. Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion of the argument above?
(A) A parental-leave law will serve to strengthen the family as a social institution in this country.
Strengthening family has no relevance to economic competitiveness.
(B) Many businesses in this country already offer employees some form of parental leave.
Does not address whether this harms economic competitiveness in any way.
(C) Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.
Right answer
(D) Only companies with one hundred or more employees would be subject to the proposed parental-leave law.
Number of employees in the company does not matter here.
(E) In most polls, a majority of citizens say they favor passage of a parental-leave law.
Vote of citizens has no relevance to economic competitiveness.

I think the key to solving this problem is identifying the right conclusion. I feel that the conclusion in this question is:
The law forcing companies to have parental-leave regulations will harm the economic competitiveness of our nation's businesses.

Considering this as the conclusion we need to find the option that weakens this. If we have examples of other countries which have strong parental-leave regulations and yet have the most economically competitive businesses then this would weaken the conclusion.
Thus answer should be C.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 06:43
rlevochkin wrote:

If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?
(A) If D, then A.
(D) If D, then E.

Its between B & C, But I am inclined towards B

B - Statement says that " The law will harm the economic competitiveness of the nation. Otherwise it won't harm.
"will harm" says that in future it affects but currently it is good or normal..
Can we imply that the present scenario of the country is in good or normal health???
Option B implies that, many businesses already have some form of parental leave and the country's economic competitiveness is in good shape. doesn't this imply that the law won't effect the economic competitveness. because many business already have this law in place..

C- states that in some of the countries this law did not affect economic competitiveness. but what about the others.. some of the countries imply that only for few countries it did not affect but for others it did affect..

please comment if I did not understand something here...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 12:14
I’m almost certain that the first one is C. The second one is C assuming that the only way to get a subsequent letter is if the first letter is present (“you only and always get B if A is present” instead of “A may be one of many requirements of B”). When I read all of these the second way none of the answers made sense in my head. Maybe I’d have to write it out or something. Idk.

What are the OA's?

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 13:43
rlevochkin wrote:

If A, then B.
If B, then C.
If C, then D.
(A) If D, then A.
(D) If D, then E.

1. Conclusion is we shouldn't enforce parental-leave regulation. The reason is that it will dampen economic competitiveness.
Only D and C really address the issue at all. D is bad because it doesn't counter-point the reason. It only lessens the force of the competitive dampening. C is right because it offers a counter-example.

2. C is right because A->B->C->D means that D is a necessary condition for A. Without D then no A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 14:42
1. I think it's C

Unpaid time off --> harms ecom=nomic competitiveness
Any st. that opposes this will weaken the conclusion. Hence C.

2. C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 18:25
OAs
1. C
2. C

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 169

Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 09:19
Please do not post multiple questions at once, it is difficult to track one's mistakes and results in waste of time!

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 13:29
In the first question, why not B?
Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 2 questons [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 13:36
metallicafan wrote:
In the first question, why not B?
Thanks!

For two reasons:
1) C actually weakens the argument
2) B is out of scope

Just because many companies do it doesn't mean that implementing the law won't adversely affect the nation's economic competitiveness. But if other countries have these laws and saw a benefit then the main point of the argument is called into question. I hope that makes sense.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 19:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 23:07
is answer to second question E : we know a is a essential for d, hence no a , no d but no info, :?: whether d is essential for a , E is not mentioned in the stem :?:
Re: A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2014, 23:07