Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 09:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (03:08) correct 59% (01:36) wrong based on 123 sessions
A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an automated home haircutting system, recently stated that the company was in terrible shape and headed for a disastrous year. His concern was that, since the introduction of the AutoSnip III last year, calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled, indicating that people are very unhappy with the new product. Although it's true that it is the job of responsible board members to raise issues of concern, in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken. The customer service line handles not only complaints but also sales, and the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.

What role do the two boldfaced selections play in the above argument?

A.The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting a conclusion that the argument opposes.
B. The first provides evidence, an interpretation of which supports the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first provides incontrovertible evidence opposing the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument.
D. The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that main conclusion.
E. The first provides evidence, an interpretation of which opposes the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides that interpretation.

*the challenge is to solve this is less than 45 sec.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 09:26
Went for C and E instead.

Picked up C as the first statement is an evidence opposing the main conclusion. Here is where I made the mistake.
2nd statement is essentially an evidence supporting the main conclusion.

time 55 sec.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 09:33
that is how it feels under acute time pressure . the easiest questions are wrongly answered

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 09:48
chose (E) in 67 sec
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 899 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 09:55
garimavyas wrote:
the challenge is to solve this is less than 45 sec.

A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an automated home haircutting system, recently stated that the company was in terrible shape and headed for a disastrous year. His concern was that, since the introduction of the AutoSnip III last year, calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled, indicating that people are very unhappy with the new product. Although it's true that it is the job of responsible board members to raise issues of concern, in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken. The customer service line handles not only complaints but also sales, and the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.

A.The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting a conclusion that the argument opposes.
B. The first provides evidence, an interpretation of which supports the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first provides incontrovertible evidence opposing the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument.
D. The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that main conclusion.
E. The first provides evidence, an interpretation of which opposes the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides that interpretation.

What is the main conclusion here?
This one is perhaps the closest to a conclusion: "the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken".

"C" makes more sense in my opinion.
The first provides evidence that is an opposition of this conclusion.
The second provides an evidence how the conclusion holds true; supporting.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 10:02
I picked B in 15 sec.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
@subhashghosh i thought you picked B in -15 seconds :)

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 10:08
why -15 seconds ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 18:52
Picked B in 62 secs.

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 19:36
Are you sure the answer is B? Did you miss the main conclusion ?
main conclusion - "board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken"

First boldface - evidence in support of the claim "people are very unhappy with the new product"
Second boldface - evidence in support of the main conclusion "board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken"

Moreover this CR was re-written. See the OG question - #64 in OG12. The answer is C. And C should be the answer in this one.

Here is my analysis -

A - is wrong since the second boldface is NOT the conclusion. The conclusion is boad members are wrong
B - is wrong since the first boldface will NOT support the main conclusion. It will support its own claim which is 180 deg to the main conclusion. First boldface will support the claim "people are very unhappy with the new product"
D - The first boldface is NOT supporting the main conclusion

So the answer should be C or E
garimavyas wrote:
the challenge is to solve this is less than 45 sec.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 07:29
B - 59 sec
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 07:09
Picked B - 62 seconds

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: sub-500 level question [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:52
@gmat1220..In agreement with you..I picked C too..What is the final OA guys?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 60

Reviews Badge
Re: A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 17:59
I want to reopen the discussion on this topic. I found this question in Grockit and official answer is B. But I am not convinced with the solution in Grockit. According to me the conclusion is "in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken." because the last bold statement in no way states that "the company was in terrible shape".

According to me, answer should be C.

I request Experts to explain.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 80

Re: A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 01:27
amitbharadwaj7 wrote:
I want to reopen the discussion on this topic. I found this question in Grockit and official answer is B. But I am not convinced with the solution in Grockit. According to me the conclusion is "in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken." because the last bold statement in no way states that "the company was in terrible shape".

Boldface 1: calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled.

Boldface 2 : the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.

Conclusion : in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken.

Now, boldface 1 does not directly support the conclusion, its interpretation supports the conclusion. Boldface 2 gives clear evidence why conclusion is right !
Hence B.

C, on the other hand, says that Boldface 2 opposes the main conclusion, which is wrong and so this option is incorrect !

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 80

Re: A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 01:29
vishalrastogi wrote:
amitbharadwaj7 wrote:

Boldface 1: calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled.

Boldface 2 : the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.

Conclusion : in this case the board member's analysis of the situation is mistaken.

Now, boldface 1 does not directly support the conclusion, its interpretation supports the conclusion. Boldface 2 gives clear evidence why conclusion is right !
Hence B.

C, on the other hand, says that Boldface 2 opposes the main conclusion, which is wrong and so this option is incorrect !

Hope it helps.

A small typo error. C , incorrectly says that boldface 1 opposes main conclusion, which is wrong !
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 18:19
as stated in E...the second part is not the interpretation that is supported by first bold face
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 15:25
This is how I worked on this problem,
I think that the main conclusion is the 1st sentence of argument “recently stated that the company was in terrible shape and headed for a disastrous year.” Saying this cuz this is someone’s opinion, and concluded that the firm is in bad shape.

Now, why he concluded that, cuz this “His concern was that, since the introduction of the AutoSnip III last year, [b]calls to the customer service line have nearly doubled, indicating that people are very unhappy with the new product.” So the bold part is here, supporting the main conclusion.

So, “The customer service line handles not only complaints but also sales, and the majority of the new calls have been to place new orders.” Saying that slas are growing. Bold here is a counter premise, directly opposing the main conclusion which is on the other side.

Hence, I think correct should be A. The first provides evidence supporting the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence supporting a conclusion( that company is doing good) that the argument opposes ( that is not doing good).
I don’t go for B since my understanding says that the boldfaces are opposing to eachoter, and B is having both on the same side.

I kindly ask for any opinions here, Thanks
A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2014, 15:25