Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A letter submitted to the editor of a national newsmagazine

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A letter submitted to the editor of a national newsmagazine [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 14:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A letter submitted to the editor of a national newsmagazine was written and signed by a Dr. Shirley Martin who, in the text of the letter, mentions being a professor at a major North American medical school. Knowing that fewer than 5 percent of the professors at such schools are women, the editor reasons that the chances are better than 19 to 1 that the letter was written by a man.
Which one of the following involves flawed reasoning most like that used by the editor?

(A) Since 19 out of 20 home computers are purchased primarily for use with computer games, and the first computer sold today was purchased solely for word processing, the next 19 computers sold will almost certainly be used primarily for computer games.
(B) Fewer than 1 in 20 of the manuscripts submitted to Argon Publishing Co. are accepted for publication. Since only 15 manuscripts were submitted last week, there is almost no chance that any of them will be accepted for publication.
(C) Fewer that 5 percent of last year’s graduating class took Latin in secondary school. Howard took Latin in secondary school, so if he had graduated last year, it is likely that one or the other Latin scholars would not have graduated.
(D) More that 95 percent of the planes built by UBC last year met government standards for large airliners. Since small planes account for just under 5 percent of UBC’s output last year, it is almost certain that all their large planes met government standards.
(E) Since more than 19 out of every 20 animals in the wildlife preserve are mammals and fewer than 1 out of 20 are birds, there is a greater than 95 percent chance that the animal Emily saw flying between two trees in the wildlife refuge yesterday morning was a mammal

What is the flaw in the question? I sort of get it but that sounds far stretched as do we doubt everything while solving such questions.

Luckily i got it right after spending 3:30 mins
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - percentages - try with a timer [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 16:52
old_dream_1976 wrote:
A letter submitted to the editor of a national newsmagazine was written and signed by a Dr. Shirley Martin who, in the text of the letter, mentions being a professor at a major North American medical school. Knowing that fewer than 5 percent of the professors at such schools are women, the editor reasons that the chances are better than 19 to 1 that the letter was written by a man.
Which one of the following involves flawed reasoning most like that used by the editor?

(A) Since 19 out of 20 home computers are purchased primarily for use with computer games, and the first computer sold today was purchased solely for word processing, the next 19 computers sold will almost certainly be used primarily for computer games.

(B) Fewer than 1 in 20 of the manuscripts submitted to Argon Publishing Co. are accepted for publication. Since only 15 manuscripts were submitted last week, there is almost no chance that any of them will be accepted for publication.

(C) Fewer that 5 percent of last year’s graduating class took Latin in secondary school. Howard took Latin in secondary school, so if he had graduated last year, it is likely that one or the other Latin scholars would not have graduated.
(D) More that 95 percent of the planes built by UBC last year met government standards for large airliners. Since small planes account for just under 5 percent of UBC’s output last year, it is almost certain that all their large planes met government standards.
(E) Since more than 19 out of every 20 animals in the wildlife preserve are mammals and fewer than 1 out of 20 are birds, there is a greater than 95 percent chance that the animal Emily saw flying between two trees in the wildlife refuge yesterday morning was a mammal

What is the flaw in the question? I sort of get it but that sounds far stretched as do we doubt everything while solving such questions.

Luckily i got it right after spending 3:30 mins

I got it in 1.30 minutes.

Logic here is argument has refered some external sources to reach a conclusion which might be possible.
E does the same things
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - percentages - try with a timer [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 18:31
E is it. the passage is arguing that there is more than 95% chance that the letter coud have been written by male professor eventhough it is clearly mentioned that the writer Dr. Shirley Martin is a femal.

similarly in E, the passage is pleading that it is more than 95% chance the animal flying in the gurden could be mammal where as we know only birds can fly, not mammals.

i took my whole time only reading the passage and answers choices.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2006, 22:29
One more for 'E'. Same reasoning with Professor's one. 98 secs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - percentages - try with a timer [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 17:22
Professor wrote:
E is it. the passage is arguing that there is more than 95% chance that the letter coud have been written by male professor eventhough it is clearly mentioned that the writer Dr. Shirley Martin is a femal.
similarly in E, the passage is pleading that it is more than 95% chance the animal flying in the gurden could be mammal where as we know only birds can fly, not mammals.

Dr. Shirley Martin was never mentioned a woman in the passage. I think the correct answer choice is A. E adds another qualifier 'flying'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - percentages - try with a timer [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 19:33
vipin7um wrote:
Professor wrote:

Dr. Shirley Martin was never mentioned a woman in the passage. I think the correct answer choice is A. E adds another qualifier 'flying'.

OA is E.

Professor's reasoning is the most lucid however I would like to add that the flaw = similarity is

shirley is usually a woman's name
anything that flies is usually a bird
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - percentages - try with a timer [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 06:28
old_dream_1976 wrote:
vipin7um wrote:
Professor wrote:

OA is E.

Professor's reasoning is the most lucid however I would like to add that the flaw = similarity is

shirley is usually a woman's name
anything that flies is usually a bird

What is the source of this question?
Re: CR - percentages - try with a timer   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2006, 06:28