Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A little overwhelmed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A little overwhelmed [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 15:21
I took the GMAT for the first time today and scored a 640 (70% quant, 75% verbal). Very disappointing. I enrolled in Kaplan three months ago and my practice CATs ranged from 590 to 710, so I know I can do better than 640. I also had an "incident" during my test today. During the quant section I raised my hand for more scratch paper (and had it up for awhile as I was working on the problems). I finally turned around to see no one sitting at the proctor table. The proctor (a little old lady) showed up and walked into the exam room to see what I wanted. It seemed to take her forever to get another booklet of scratch paper to me. The head of the center filed an incident report (though I didn't even specifically ask her to), any of you think Pearson will cancel my score and let me retake the test for free?

I plan to retake the test regardless, though right now the thought of another month of studying (after all the work I've put in) is a little overwhelming.

I see most people like the Manhattan preptests and some of the material from GMATclub. Any words of advice to help me break into the 700s?

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78681

CAT Tests
Re: A little overwhelmed [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 16:22
I'm completely in your boat. I took a week off to give my mind a rest - I really would recommend that. Try to have a positive attitude for the second time around, it's rare people are fully satisfied with their first score, and a 640 is not a bad score. I got a 630 though, so I do know how you feel.

Hang in there :-).

For my second time around I'm really focusing on my verbal, timing, and maintaining and trying to improve my math. I'll be taking one practice test a week for the next two months, hopefully with some time and determination I will get a better score. And if not - it's not the end of the world! (At least that is what I keep repeating to myself... )
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: A little overwhelmed [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 16:57
Hey guys, i have 2 thign to say to you:

First, neither 630 nor 640 are bad scores. Not at all! Keep that in mind.

Second, here are plent of topics here from people who had about your scores, and through some more study, exercises, and concetration at the test time, improved they score to +700.

So, my advice is: keep on studying, do plenty of prep tests, keep on posting your doubts here, because we have great ppl here to answer them, and don't ever lose your faith, cause you both will surely get your +700 score ;-)
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Re: A little overwhelmed [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 19:20
I don't think they will cancel your score, but they might let you retake the test for free.
Re: A little overwhelmed   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2008, 19:20