Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A long way to go (in a not-so-long period of time)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A long way to go (in a not-so-long period of time) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 05:47
Well, here I am. :-D I cannot believe that I have been following the countless threads, comments, links, discussions, and occasional disagreements since May. My condensed background consists of graduating from an undergraduate commerce degree with a 3.56 GPA and a flaming passion for teaching. I am not going the MBA route as most others in this forum - I plan on attending a Master of Management program with a focus on Marketing next Fall. The only thing that stands in my way is a 3-part, 3.5 hour test called the GMAT.

Over the past few months I have been reading a single book, "Kaplan Math Foundations", thinking that it would get me through everything that I needed to know about all of those topics I seemed to have no interest in during high school. Looking back on my efforts throughout those formidable 4 years, I can say (with bold understatement) that I did not work as hard as I should have in those math courses. My average math grade between 9 and 12 was about 55%. :? I also have a fond memory of being kicked out of math on the very first day for using some choice words with my buddy across from me. And it wasn't that I was a rebel (not entirely, anyways), it was just that I had my passions in other places. My strongest grades were in business classes; specifically in business communications, international business, and marketing. In fact, I proudly won the school's business award upon graduation and represented my school for having created my own start-up web design company a year prior. I suppose my point here is - if I put my mind to something, it can get done.

So on Wednesday I took the diagnostic test. It was no surprise that I didn't do especially well on the quantitative portion, but I could not have planned for quite as badly as I had done. My score was 14 out of 37. By subtracting the ones that I got incorrect from that amount, it leaves me with a Raw Score of 8. :oops: The verbal I did much better, with a score of 32. This was brought down significantly after having gotten 8 of the last 11 questions wrong due to a shortage of time. In total, my diagnostic result was a 310 (bottom 3% according to Kaplan's book).

At this point it is clear that I will need to work extremely hard to get where I need to be to be competitive. I am not exactly applying to the most rigorous programs available, but I would like to go to a school with a good reputation and that leads to a comfortable amount of good career opportunities. I am certain that this is the path that is for me, and only wish I listened more during those macabre math lessons.

Any advice, comments, virtual slaps-to-the-back-of-the-head :roll: , or whatever you may have to offer me are well appreciated. I am certain that you will see my name floating around these message boards, firstly asking a thousand questions - and eventually answering them for others. I am planning on writing my GMAT towards the end of the year (early December), and am aiming for a score of 600. Thank you all for reading and I look forward to interacting with and getting-to know many of you over the next few months.

Cheers!
Miic
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: A long way to go (in a not-so-long period of time) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 06:43
Expert's post
Hi Miic,

Well, at least now you've generated the "urgency" you need to push yourself to where you need to be. Mankkind didn't move mountains by being happy doing what he was already doing. Urgency is the key to action.

Indeed, not finishing in time has a huge penalty so time efficiency in thinking through questions will be important. See more psychological and timing strategies.

Reading through a math book? You know your learning style best--so ask yourself if that is effective for you? Or perhaps watch this video and see if it is helpful for you.

http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... gmat-math/

Hope that helps!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: A long way to go (in a not-so-long period of time)   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2011, 06:43