Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 225 [3] , given: 543

A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:10) correct 29% (02:04) wrong based on 76 sessions
A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter both plates have holes of one inch diameter that are equally placed and are the same from the edges as shown above. one plate is placed on top of the other so that their centers are aligned and two of the holes are perfectly aligned. If one plate remains stationary what is the least number of degrees that the other plate must be rotated so that a different pair of holes is perfectly aligned.

A. 6
B. 12
C. 18
D. 24
E. 36
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Question.png
Question.png [ 51.23 KiB | Viewed 2292 times ]

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Last edited by fozzzy on 09 Jan 2013, 02:54, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 182

Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:18
Where is the screenshot!

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 543

Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:19
PraPon wrote:
Where is the screenshot!

sorry it was a bit blurry tried changing it doesn't look any better :(

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

10 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 318 [10] , given: 182

Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 21:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Attachment:
Circular Plates.jpg
Circular Plates.jpg [ 118.78 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]

As the holes are equidistant on both the plates, they form pentagon and square on their respective plate (as shown in the figure)

Lets consider two circular plates as below:
Plate1: Consider holes A & B are on Pentagon in plate1
Plate2: Consider holes P & Q are on square in plate2

Its given that two plates are kept over other and two of their holes are coinciding. Lets assume holes A & P are coinciding.
From the diagram you can see, holes B & Q can be aligned with minimum rotation. i.e. we need to find out <BOQ = x =?

Central angle formed by two vertices of pentagon i.e. <AOB = y = \frac{360}{5} = 72
Central angle formed by two vertices of square i.e. <POQ = \frac{360}{4} = 90

<AOB + <BOQ = <AOQ
i.e. y + x = 90
i.e. 72 + x = 90
Resolve to x = 18

Hence choice (C) is the answer

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Director
Director

Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 01:29
PraPon wrote:
Attachment:
Circular Plates.jpg

As the holes are equidistant on both the plates, they form pentagon and square on their respective plate (as shown in the figure)

Its given that two plates are kept over other and two of their holes are coinciding. Lets assume holes A & P are coinciding.
From the diagram you can see, holes B & Q can be aligned with minimum rotation. i.e. we need to find out <BOQ = x =?

Central angle formed by two vertices of pentagon i.e. <AOB = y = \frac{360}{5} = 72

<AOB + <BOQ = <AOQ
i.e. y + x = 90
i.e. 72 + x = 90
Resolve to x = 18

Great explanation! I didn't realize they were testing the concepts of polygon! kudos to you!

Expert Post
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2048 [0], given: 677

Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 08:12
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:
PraPon wrote:
Attachment:
Circular Plates.jpg

<AOB + <BOQ = <AOQ
i.e. y + x = 90
i.e. 72 + x = 90
Resolve to x = 18

Great explanation! I didn't realize they were testing the concepts of polygon! kudos to you!

see the new Gmatclub math book. is well explained inside

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 15:30
This post received
KUDOS
The four equidistant circular rings on the first circular plate divides it into four equal parts; so each part is 1/4
The five equidistant rings on the second cirular plate divides it into five equal parts; each part is 1/5

If one of the circular plate is overlaid on the other with a pair of circular holes aligned, the holes will be 1/4 minus 1/5 = 1/20 apart from each other. If we have to align a different pair of circles, we have to move the circular plate on the top 1/20 * 360 degrees.
1/20*360 = 18 degrees.

Further explanation: I interpreted this as a form of a circle and its sector problem. Area covered by a sector is given by A = angle/360 * area of the circle
If we take area of the circular plate as 1, the area covered by each sector will be 1/20. We are asked to find out the angle subtended by the sector between the holes.

1/20 = angle/360 *1

angle = 360/20

So C is the answer.

Hope this approach helps.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 44

Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 18:19
fozzzy wrote:
A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter both plates have holes of one inch diameter that are equally placed and are the same from the edges as shown above. one plate is placed on top of the other so that their centers are aligned and two of the holes are perfectly aligned. If one plate remains stationary what is the least number of degrees that the other plate must be rotated so that a different pair of holes is perfectly aligned.

First plate (4 holes) = 360/4 = 90
Second Plate (5 holes) = 360/5 = 72

So least degree to get a hole aligned with other = 90 - 72 =18

Guys Please validate this!
Will this method be useful for similar type problems ?
Or did i go wrong anywhere?

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Director
Director

Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 20:57
chvrmohan4 wrote:
The four equidistant circular rings on the first circular plate divides it into four equal parts; so each part is 1/4
The five equidistant rings on the second cirular plate divides it into five equal parts; each part is 1/5

If one of the circular plate is overlaid on the other with a pair of circular holes aligned, the holes will be 1/4 minus 1/5 = 1/20 apart from each other. If we have to align a different pair of circles, we have to move the circular plate on the top 1/20 * 360 degrees.
1/20*360 = 18 degrees.

Further explanation: I interpreted this as a form of a circle and its sector problem. Area covered by a sector is given by A = angle/360 * area of the circle
If we take area of the circular plate as 1, the area covered by each sector will be 1/20. We are asked to find out the angle subtended by the sector between the holes.

1/20 = angle/360 *1

angle = 360/20

So C is the answer.

Hope this approach helps.

Really nice solution! very well thought! kudos to you

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT 2: Q V0
GRE 1: 327 Q161 V166
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 96

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A machine has 2 flat [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2014, 21:50
carcass wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
PraPon wrote:
Attachment:
Circular Plates.jpg

<AOB + <BOQ = <AOQ
i.e. y + x = 90
i.e. 72 + x = 90
Resolve to x = 18

see the new Gmatclub math book. is well explained inside

There is a potential pitfall in this approach. We cannot rely on visual inspection that <BOQ is the least. In fact there are two different pairs of holes which are the least distance apart here and hence two least degree angles though both are 18 degrees. And hence your answer happens to be correct.

Here is a different approach which I believe is more water tight.
Let plate A have 4 holes and B 5.
So holes on plate will divide the circle in the following fractions: 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4
Similarly holes on B will divide the circle in the following fractions: 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5 and 5/5
Lets multiply all values by the LCM of 4 & 5:
Holes on A: 5/20, 10/20, 15/20, 20/20 and holes on B: 4/20, 8/20, 12/20, 16/20, 20/20
4/4(20/20) from and 5/5(20/20) are already coinciding. So the next closet pairs are : 1) 5/20 & 4/20 2) 15/20 & 16/20
Both these pairs are 1/20 fraction apart. On a circle this means 360*1/20 = 18 degrees apart
Ans: C
Hope it is clear!

Please consider giving 'kudos' if you like my post and want to thank :)

Read about my journey to 750 here - a-non-native-speakers-journey-to-99-le-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 161

Re: A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 22:52
Refer screenshot below:

I just believe that it takes more time to read the problem than to solve it

Attachments

cir.jpg
cir.jpg [ 40.46 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]

Kindly press "Kudos" to appreciate

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 28

Re: A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 19:24
"Align a pair of circles..."

When I read this question, in my mind, I understood it as two circle from each plate have to be aligned. I spent 10 minutes tryin to figure out how the f@#$, you align two sets of holes on a plate with 4 90* seprated circle on top of 5 holed plate with 72* seperation. What they meant was a pair of holes from the TWO DIFFERENT PLATES.

Is this really math exam or an english exam. Honest to christ, I dont know.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4454 [0], given: 162

Re: A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 21:03
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:

A. 6
B. 12
C. 18
D. 24
E. 36

The question might be a bit complicated to understand but the solution is very simple and straight forward:
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 5.38 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

Let's look at how the holes are placed with respect to each other. The plate which has 4 holes has holes which are 90 degrees away from each other. The plate which has 5 holes has holes which are 360/5 = 72 degrees away from each other. Assume that the holes at the top are aligned.

This is how the rest of the holes are placed on the two plates:
5 hole plate - 72 degrees, 144 degrees, 216 degrees, 288 degrees
4 hole plate - 90 degrees, 180 degrees, 270 degrees

To align the first holes with each other, we can move the 5 hole plate clockwise 18 degrees. Or the second hole of 5 hole plate 36 degrees clockwise. The minimum movement required to align any two holes is 18 degrees (the difference between any two angles of the two plates)

Answer (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A machine has two flat circular plates of the same diameter   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 21:03