Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 13:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

38% (02:17) correct 63% (01:07) wrong based on 16 sessions
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
B) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
C) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
D) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
E) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.


I am not convinced with the OA. Would like to know what other people think about it
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 14:36
I personally think C should be the answer. D in fact strengthens the answer, although mildly. C is more neutral/indifferent than D in supporting the answer.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 216
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 15:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
It's been discussed.

major-film-studio-81977-20.html

Questionable OA in my opinion.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 15:13
Thanks USCTrojan2006 for the pointer. Its a debatable OA to say the least and perhaps should be either removed from the test or modified to remove the ambiguity or the test makers should explain the answer more clearly.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 216
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 15:15
What is the source of the Q anyway?

nitesh108 wrote:
Thanks USCTrojan2006 for the pointer. Its a debatable OA to say the least and perhaps should be either removed from the test or modified to remove the ambiguity or the test makers should explain the answer more clearly.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 15:17
GMATclub verbal test 1 Q20
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 76003

Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 09:29
I also think that D is wrong since it supports the publisher's plan.
=> answer C, in my opinion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 216
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 09:45
Shall we write to the test maker?

Geronimo wrote:
I also think that D is wrong since it supports the publisher's plan.
=> answer C, in my opinion
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 31
Location: Boston
Schools: Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 10:16
I think the answer is C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 11:49
even i chose C

fail to understand how the answer is D :( can somebody please help?

my take

C: The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio

- So what? this argument talks about soundness of the author's plan to capitalize on the success of the film by re-printing an already forgotten print. The author earned 200k for selling the production rights, not the publishing rights... so infact the idea may not be sound since he is having to invest in the publication of the book (200k - publishing ) ( which has no guarantee that people will show interest in it)

D : The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews

- When a beautiful actress vouches for the book :-D , it will sure cause interest in the people and people may want to read the book themselves to see what the book offers on the actresses suggestion!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Posts: 173
Location: singapore
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 21:54
+1 for C
_________________

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

HKUST Thread Master
avatar
Status: Applying to schools
Joined: 05 Jun 2010
Posts: 60
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 22:02
+1 for C. D doesn't make sense!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 23:42
D is correct: the soundness of the publisher's plan is to capitalize on the success of the movie not on the novel. Though the statement looks really good to be the right choice!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 194
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 01:46
bidmanager wrote:
D is correct: the soundness of the publisher's plan is to capitalize on the success of the movie not on the novel. Though the statement looks really good to be the right choice!



Bidmanager.. can u elucidate on why D should be the answer??

i believe the conclusion is
"Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres"

the question is.. ok he got some money... for selling rights... and in D it is no where written that his rights amount will be proportional to the film's success..

so even if the film succeeds or flops miserable, he already got 200k - (1)

next imagine this situation... if he is puts the 200k in printing books and the film flops miserably and noody buys his books,
he loses his money and his books are not purchased... so isnt it loss to the author?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 02:14
viks4gmat wrote:
bidmanager wrote:
D is correct: the soundness of the publisher's plan is to capitalize on the success of the movie not on the novel. Though the statement looks really good to be the right choice!



Bidmanager.. can u elucidate on why D should be the answer??

i believe the conclusion is
"Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres"

the question is.. ok he got some money... for selling rights... and in D it is no where written that his rights amount will be proportional to the film's success..

so even if the film succeeds or flops miserable, he already got 200k - (1)

next imagine this situation... if he is puts the 200k in printing books and the film flops miserably and noody buys his books,
he loses his money and his books are not purchased... so isnt it loss to the author?



D says that "The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews." Here if the actress would have discussed about her role in the movie/or the movie then it would have been profitable to the author as the success of the movie is proportionately related to the publisher publishing the book. The publisher is going to capitalize on the anticipated success of the movie, not the book. The success of the publisher's plans depends on the success of the movie.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 18:50
nitesh108 wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
B) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
C) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
D) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
E) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.


I am not convinced with the OA. Would like to know what other people think about it



D is the answer.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1726
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 23:37
+1 C
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 176
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Film Studio [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 10:43
nitesh108 wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
B) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
C) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
D) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
E) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.


I am not convinced with the OA. Would like to know what other people think about it


It's either got to be D or A.
D states about the actress talking about the novel which kinda makes it absurd, and also A, wherein it talks about the book's cover.
But I would go with D.
Re: Film Studio   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2011, 10:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie rohansherry 10 28 Aug 2009, 23:12
7 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ritula 62 08 Oct 2008, 18:12
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ugimba 8 22 Jan 2009, 11:00
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie billyjeans 7 29 Dec 2008, 01:59
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ssandeepan 12 16 Sep 2008, 17:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.