Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 798
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 25

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 01:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:17) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

A. The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
B. Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
C. The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
D. The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
E. Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 428
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 14

Re: A major film studio [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 02:39
Is the answer C

billyjeans wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

A. The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
B. Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
C. The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
D. The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
E. Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 798
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 25

Re: A major film studio [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 10:41
gurpreet07 wrote:
Is the answer C

billyjeans wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

A. The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
B. Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
C. The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
D. The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
E. Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.



I thought it was C too, and I thought it was pretty darn obvious. But the OA is D. Anyone can reason that? Is there something I am missing?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 428
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 14

Re: A major film studio [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 20:04
Are you sure about the OA.. bcoz if we consider D , then its mentioned that the lead actress has shown interest in the novel, that means it would work for the publicity of the novel and thus the author can capitalize
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 798
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 25

Re: A major film studio [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 22:57
gurpreet07 wrote:
Are you sure about the OA.. bcoz if we consider D , then its mentioned that the lead actress has shown interest in the novel, that means it would work for the publicity of the novel and thus the author can capitalize


That's what I am thinking as well. Apparently Gmatclub Tests Verbal set#01 has the OA as D.

I think it's a mistake, unless I am seriously missing something here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 428
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 14

Re: A major film studio [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 23:11
I think we can wait for some more answers, let other members also post some explanation
and then we can come to a consensus
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A major film studio [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 18:17
it should be C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 29

Re: A major film studio [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 11:58
Maybe answer would be D if there was not any choice C . In my guess C is much more irrevelant then D. D could be out due to the use of present perfect.
_________________

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Re: A major film studio   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2009, 11:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie TehJay 6 31 Oct 2010, 12:49
4 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie zest4mba 26 08 Aug 2010, 19:34
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie rohansherry 10 28 Aug 2009, 23:12
9 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ritula 64 08 Oct 2008, 18:12
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ssandeepan 12 16 Sep 2008, 17:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.