Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 99

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 11:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

a) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
b) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
c) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
d) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
e) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 261
Location: Kolkata
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: CR clubchallenges v01 [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 22:51
IMO C

Selling production rights does not gurantee success of the book if it is re-published
_________________

Thanks
rampuria

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1300
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 0

Re: CR clubchallenges v01 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 02:43
Yes C
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 99

Re: CR clubchallenges v01 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 07:07
OA is D.

Reasoning:Which one does not support the soundness of the publisher’s plan? The publisher hopes the film will renew demand for the out-of-print novel and plans to supply a new edition to meet that demand. The soundness of this plan can be supported by evidence that films have previously created demand for the novels on which they are based, and also by any agreements the publisher has already made with the film studio. Opinions of participants in film production, however, have no direct bearing on the soundness of the plan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: CR clubchallenges v01 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 13:45
are you sure?

For me, C doesn't have nothing to do with the success of the movie...

what's the source?

Is there any explanation for answer C?

Thanks

ugimba wrote:
OA is D.

Reasoning:Which one does not support the soundness of the publisher’s plan? The publisher hopes the film will renew demand for the out-of-print novel and plans to supply a new edition to meet that demand. The soundness of this plan can be supported by evidence that films have previously created demand for the novels on which they are based, and also by any agreements the publisher has already made with the film studio. Opinions of participants in film production, however, have no direct bearing on the soundness of the plan.

_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 99

Re: CR clubchallenges v01 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 13:53
Source is Gmat Club Challenges verbal test # 1. I pasted the explanation also (Reasoning) that they gave.

I too selected C but looks like that is wrong..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: CR clubchallenges v01 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 13:56
Ok, I see

however I can't see how C can help to the plan's success ...

any guru can give a deeper explanation?
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 2

Re: CR clubchallenges v01 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 16:06
ugimba wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

a) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
b) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
c) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
d) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
e) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.


Here we are told that the publisher believes that it will experience increased sales as a result of the movie's release. We are looking for 4 answer choices that support this belief
A - This is a link between the book and the movie and is consistent with the publisher's beliefs
B - Shows the publisher may be right since another publisher was successful
C - Who cares how much publisher received? What if the publisher received only $1? The monetary amount is not relevant,
D - This shows that the movie (actress in this case) is promoting the book which is likely to result in increased sales
E - Same as B

Hope this clarifies any confusion you might have. As always, let me know if you have any questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: CR clubchallenges v01 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2009, 02:10
chicagocubsrule wrote:
ugimba wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

a) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
b) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
c) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
d) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
e) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.


Here we are told that the publisher believes that it will experience increased sales as a result of the movie's release. We are looking for 4 answer choices that support this belief
A - This is a link between the book and the movie and is consistent with the publisher's beliefs
B - Shows the publisher may be right since another publisher was successful
C - Who cares how much publisher received? What if the publisher received only $1? The monetary amount is not relevant,
D - This shows that the movie (actress in this case) is promoting the book which is likely to result in increased sales
E - Same as B

Hope this clarifies any confusion you might have. As always, let me know if you have any questions.



So... you also think that C is the right one, don't you?
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Re: CR clubchallenges v01   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2009, 02:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie zest4mba 26 08 Aug 2010, 19:34
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie rohansherry 10 28 Aug 2009, 23:12
7 A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ritula 63 08 Oct 2008, 18:12
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie billyjeans 7 29 Dec 2008, 01:59
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie ssandeepan 12 16 Sep 2008, 17:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.