Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 22:35
C seems to be the answer without any doubt.
Is the OA wrong?????
How much the publisher recieved has got nothing to do with the soundness of the plan.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 23:54
My choice is C.

The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio. - Has nothing to do with soundness of the publisher’s plan.

The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews. - May or may not help with soundness of the publisher’s plan. So can be eliminated.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 2

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 03:39
This one has not been clarified yet.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 21:44
d

consider cudos if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 09:33
C for me as well
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

need the experts here: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 18:55
ritula wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(1) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(2)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(3)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(4)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(5)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

I go with B ..
there has been a lot of discussion on this one ...Most of the members picked C ... OA as given is D...For me it is between b and C ...but I go with B
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 04:43
IMO C.....

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 25

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 09:33
C should be the OA. D - actress advertised for the book which is good for the book's sale. If the publisher has already made money by selling production right, it doesn't not help to make the book a best-seller again.

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 12

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 06:14
here is my opinion:
The conclusion here: new print of the novel during the premier week ->more profit. so we need to attack this.
C: should be the answer, how is it relevant how much did the publisher made before even thinking about publishing the new novel, he just sold the rights to movie makers and that's it.
D: we all know if answer choice supports the conclusion even 1% then it's indeed strengthening the conclusion.when are most interviews made? during the premier week or in that range, to publicize the movie, so this could actually strengthen the conclusion because more people will be watching, more people will know about the novel, hence more sales. Now this is not an extreme assumption, it's common sense so it's not out of the gmat world
someone get Tommy to shed some light into this!

Nanquam Fractum

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 65

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 19:43
I too answered C on v01.

OE didn't help me understand why D is a better choice.

Can a moderator of the test provide additional explanation to OE?

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 13:22
Need you help in here Moderators. The confusion as well as the question still remains. I chose option C in the V01 test today and came to this thread for clarification. :?

Seems that this Question has not been clarified for a while. Please clarify why C cannot be the answer and why D is the OA. According to me, Option C is the answer because the selling of the production rights, which is done before the shooting of the film, has nothing to do with the plan of re-publishing the book(done after the film's release) ! :(

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 03:48
C seems to be the most appropriate choice here. Not sure how D wins over C!
Intern
Intern

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 19:23
+ C
The publisher`s plan is to capitalize on success of the film.
In C it simply says that the film studio buys the production rights for 200 k, it never implies anything successful about the film.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 38

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:23
Confusing .. Still unclear !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 71

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 08:37
After a lot discussion... What is the best answer??? C or D?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 04:35
ohh a banana peel for me
yes it has to be D was thinking C , but D makes sense as its not part of his plan
Intern
Intern

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 00:45
C for me.

The historical cost is considered as a "sunk cost" in economics. It is not relevant to the future success.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 02:24
IMO C,

While C adds some odds that book will be popular among public, D does not affect the odds as getting royalty money from film studio to allow making of movie has no effect on the success of sales of book
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 44

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 03:18
Can anybody tell me why A is wrong?

MGMAT CAT MATH mgmat-cat-math-144609.html
MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-144610.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 15

Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 09:52
ritula wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(1) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(2)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(3)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(4)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(5)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

The answer to this one is C.
The answer is not D.
Reason--In option D, the actress who played the lead in the film discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews, this could have resulted in a increase in sales of the novel and thus the publisher could have made profits. Thus in a way this option helps in strengthening the stem.
On the other hand if the publisher had received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio, it has nothing to do with strengthening the stem, thus in a way it is our answer.
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie   [#permalink] 06 May 2012, 09:52