Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 18:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (02:28) correct 67% (01:20) wrong based on 84 sessions
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(1) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(2)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(3)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(4)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(5)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 18:21
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 22:23
yeah, agree with C...I mean 3
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 00:57
C for me. That payment has no relevance for a future success
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 03:37
Agree with the choice 3.

Can anybody tell me if the GMATCLUB Verbal tests are good? Is it worth it?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 269 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 04:14
This post received
KUDOS
Another 3

dwivedys wrote:
Agree with the choice 3.

Can anybody tell me if the GMATCLUB Verbal tests are good? Is it worth it?

The math challenges are excellent :)

no idea about the verbal tests though

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 12:01
ritula wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(1) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(2)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(3)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(4)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(5)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

i also agree with C
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 21:29
Oh My God! I didnt see EXCEPT in the question and was wondering all the time how cld this option help? This shows one should be very carefully in forst understanding wht z being asked.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry for bringing this up, but for the folks who are still still studying and picked 'C', their choice is incorrect.(according to the answers and I somewhat agree.) The question asks which of the following does not support the publisher's goal. This answer choice should strengthen the goal or may be irrelevant, and in this case its irrelevant.

The correct answer is 'D'.

See below.

'C' explanation:- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' Explanation:- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.

Cheers,
Sumi
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 01:24
sumidi wrote:
Sorry for bringing this up, but for the folks who are still still studying and picked 'C', their choice is incorrect.(according to the answers and I somewhat agree.) The question asks which of the following does not support the publisher's goal. This answer choice should strengthen the goal or may be irrelevant, and in this case its irrelevant.

The correct answer is 'D'.

See below.

'C' explanation:- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' Explanation:- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.

Cheers,
Sumi

What is the source of your answer and explanation? D seems to be supporting the publisher's plan as it indicates some sort of campaigning for the book. C has no bearing on the positive or negative aspect of the publisher's plan.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 12:43
Answer D

Actress interview is not part of the plan
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 21:37
OA must be C

Last edited by reply2spg on 28 Oct 2008, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 01:25
OA is D. I have edited my post. Earlier by mistake i had written C.

Last edited by ritula on 28 Oct 2008, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 19:01
OA is D.

This question is part of V01 and I just took it. I have no idea why OA is D. I'm unable to understand the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 19:41
I would say C as well, is the OA C or D?
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT CLUB test verbal [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 07:22
The keyword in this question is the "soundness" of the plan.

If you read it too quickly, it's most likely you would have missed the word.

In D) it doesn't support the soundness of the plan.

OA is D.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
major film studio [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 15:16

a The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.

b Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.

c The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.

d The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.

e Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 15:54
I pick C...c The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.

as this has nothing to do with the success of the film nor the book itself...
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 16:09
C for the same reason as above. It doesnt have any relation to the book being release again
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: major film studio [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 19:14
C for me too
Re: major film studio   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2009, 19:14